Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

stantons

Default help please

Hi, I am in Australia and have downloaded a recipe that has a product called
Dream Whip in it.
I think the recipe is from america it calls for one envelope of dream whip,
Does anyone know if it is available in Aus or if there is a substitute, it
is used in a cheesecake.
Also what is Sumac that seems to be in quite a few recipes.
Thanks for such a great site. sharon
Have a great christmas and new year

Tim

"Dream whip is a non-dairy whip topping

Tim

Shashay Doofray

"stantons" > wrote in message
> Hi, I am in Australia and have downloaded a recipe that has a product

called
> Dream Whip in it.
> I think the recipe is from america it calls for one envelope of dream

whip,
> Does anyone know if it is available in Aus or if there is a substitute, it
> is used in a cheesecake.
> Also what is Sumac that seems to be in quite a few recipes.
> Thanks for such a great site. sharon
> Have a great christmas and new year

Sumac is a tree. Are you sure that is the word?

SD

Tall Sword

"Tim" > wrote in message news:XnAEb.651$gD1.344@fe01...

> "Dream whip is a non-dairy whip topping
>

> Tim

It is a powdered whipped topping and must be mixed with milk to be made into
a usable topping or it can be added to a recipe in either form dending what
it is being used for.

Cool Whip is a topping all the time, unless it gets pushed to the back of
the fridge and is forgotten. Then you don't want to know what it is, LOL

T Lyons

sumac; sumaq
[SOO-mak]
The brick- to dark purple-red berries of a decorative bush that grows wild
throughout the Middle East and in parts of Italy. Sumac, which is sold
ground or in its dried-berry form, has a pleasantly fruity, astringent taste
that complements everything from fish to meat to vegetables. Sumac can be
found in Middle Eastern markets.
from http://eat.epicurious.com/

I have seen Sumac here (Canada) in the Middle Eastern stores.
Good Luck.

"stantons" > wrote in message
> Hi, I am in Australia and have downloaded a recipe that has a product

called
> Dream Whip in it.
> I think the recipe is from america it calls for one envelope of dream

whip,
> Does anyone know if it is available in Aus or if there is a substitute, it
> is used in a cheesecake.
> Also what is Sumac that seems to be in quite a few recipes.
> Thanks for such a great site. sharon
> Have a great christmas and new year

Tall Sword

"T Lyons" > wrote in message

> sumac; sumaq
> [SOO-mak]
> The brick- to dark purple-red berries of a decorative bush that grows wild
> throughout the Middle East and in parts of Italy. Sumac, which is sold
> ground or in its dried-berry form, has a pleasantly fruity, astringent

taste
> that complements everything from fish to meat to vegetables. Sumac can be
> found in Middle Eastern markets.
> from http://eat.epicurious.com/
>
> I have seen Sumac here (Canada) in the Middle Eastern stores.
> Good Luck.

It grows on the side of the highway here, it's said to taste a little lemony
when you squeeze the berrys for juice