Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

John

Default Need some help finding this recipe !

Hi Guys! (and Gals)

One of my readers is requesting a recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Potato
Filling (for Fowl). I haven't been successful finding this recipe in my
cookbook collection. Does anyone have this recipe, or know where to get it?

Thanks!

John

Visit my website!

Cooking Today!
The complete online cook's resource

http://www.cookingtoday.net

Jack B

In article > , John
> wrote:

> Hi Guys! (and Gals)
>
> One of my readers is requesting a recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Potato
> Filling (for Fowl). I haven't been successful finding this recipe in my
> cookbook collection. Does anyone have this recipe, or know where to get it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

Here is one:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6283.asp

And I would advise you to learn a little about searching for things on
the Internet. It took me about ten seconds to find the page cited
above.

--
Jack
Thumper

PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH POTATO FILLING
(Submitted by Curt Hartman)

Curt writes: "As a child I had to help my mother cook and probably my
favorite was the potato filling. We never had a big meal without it. My
mother never measured anything but was well known for her cooking, so this
is my best attempt to pass along her recipe for PA Dutch Potato Filling."

INGREDIENTS

5 pounds Idaho potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1-1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup fresh parsley (or dried parsley flakes)
4 eggs
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine
3 cups cubed bread
1-2 cups milk, or enough to moisten bread cubes
Salt, pepper and celery salt
Cook potatoes with salt until tender. Sauté celery and onions with 1/2
teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in 2 tablespoons oil until tender and
slightly browned. Push to one side of the pan; add 1/2 stick of the butter
and soak parsley in butter, then mix with celery and onions.

Drain potatoes; put in large enough container to hold all ingredients. Add
the remaining 1-1/2 sticks butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and
1-1/4 teaspoons celery salt. Mix with electric beater. Add eggs and mix
thoroughly. Add celery and onion mixture and mix. In the same pan used for
the celery and onion mixture, soak bread cubes in enough milk to moisten
thoroughly and heat. Add to potatoes and mix. If mixture is too thick, add
milk. Add dry bread cubes if too thin. Also use more or less of seasoning to
taste.

Put in greased baking dish (or dishes), dot top with butter, and bake at
400° for 1 hour until golden brown.

About Curt: Curt is one of my favorite people. He calls himself the "Old
Dumb Dutchman". That's just an example of the PA Dutch sense of humor. I
remember my grandparents always calling themselves dumb Dutchmen. I don't
know Curt's age, but he is anything but dumb. I always enjoy his email and
he has helped me on several occasions with PA Dutch translations that I had
forgotten. If you have questions about the PA Dutch, I am certain he would
be happy to help you out. His email address is .

Other recipes submitted by Curt:

Pennsylvania Dutch Pepper Cabbage

"John" > wrote in message
4.3...
> Hi Guys! (and Gals)
>
> One of my readers is requesting a recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Potato
> Filling (for Fowl). I haven't been successful finding this recipe in my
> cookbook collection. Does anyone have this recipe, or know where to get

it?

> Thanks!
>
> John

> Visit my website!
>
> Cooking Today!
> The complete online cook's resource

http://www.cookingtoday.net

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Thumper

Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Filling

for about 20 servings....

mashed potatoes - made from about 10 lb.potatoes
2 - 3 cups finely chopped celery
2 large onions - chopped fine
parsley - several sprigs of fresh or 2 T. dried
1 lb. bread cubes or 1 medium loaf white bread - cut into 1/2" cubes
1 cup butter
1 cup milk - (in addition to the milk already added to make the regular
mashed potatoes
3 medium eggs
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Preparation -
In very large skillet, saute onion and celery in 1/4 cup butter until
tender. Add parsley and continue a few minutes longer, until very lightly
browned. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add 1/2 stick butter and
breadcubes to skillet. Saute until very lightly browned. Mix bread cubes and
vegetable mixture together and set aside.

Add beaten eggs plus the additional butter & milk to mashed potatoes. Add
salt & pepper. Mix thoroughly. In a very large bowl combine potato and egg
mixture with the vegetable-bread cube mixture. Stir until well mixed. Spoon
into 2 large buttered casseroles or oven safe bowls. Dot with additional
butter or margerine. Bake at 350º for 1/2 hour.

This can be prepared a day ahead of time. Refrigerate unbaked filling and
bake just before serving. Since filling will be cold when baking begins,
allow about 15 minutes additional bake time. Stir once or twice during bake
time to heat through.

"John" > wrote in message
4.3...
> Hi Guys! (and Gals)
>
> One of my readers is requesting a recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Potato
> Filling (for Fowl). I haven't been successful finding this recipe in my
> cookbook collection. Does anyone have this recipe, or know where to get

it?

> Thanks!
>
> John

> Visit my website!
>
> Cooking Today!
> The complete online cook's resource
>
> http://www.cookingtoday.net

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

John

Thumper,
Thanks for posting this recipe! Do you think it would be ok to post this
recipe on my website for my readers? (it's a free site)

Regards,

John

"Thumper" > wrote in
:

Finding a CSA bulka General Cooking 0 23-03-2006 09:19 PM
Finding a cause. Roy Boy Winemaking 0 27-11-2005 02:44 AM
Help finding... Kevin Logemann Beer 0 22-03-2004 04:32 PM
Finding BBQ Louis Cohen Barbecue 6 22-12-2003 02:07 AM