FoodBanter.com

-   Recipes (https://www.foodbanter.com/recipes/)
-   -   Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out. (https://www.foodbanter.com/recipes/109930-easy-home-made-pizza.html)

John[_10_] 16-12-2006 03:46 PM

Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):

http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

The pizza peel is also homemade. I made it from scrap wood and coated in
shellac. I have it for about 10 years.

Dough for a 13"-15" pizza

3/4 cups of water.
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp sugar (sucrose)
about 2 cups of KA white flour.

Add yeast and sugar to warm water to dissolve.

I use a cuisinart to knead the dough. The dough should be just slightly
sticky.

Let dough rise is a slightly oily pot for about and hour or two.

Preheat oven to 550 degrees with pizza stone in oven.

I use Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes with basil for the pizza sauce. I
found it a lot less expensive (about $1 per 28oz can) and much better
tasting than commerical "pizza" sauce.

I use Sargento mozzarella & provolone. Every now and then my supermarket
has them on sale for half price so I stock on them.

I roll the dough on a lightly dusted pizza peel. I measure the dough
out for my pizza stone; a 14" stone bought from Bed & Bath for $15. I
wish I still had my commercial oven where I used to make 20" pizzas.

Add a little oregano and or garlic powder to the top of the cheese.

Slide the pizza onto heated stone in oven.

Carefully watch the pizza. It can go from delicious to burned in a few
minutes. When the bottom the crust is slightly brown, I remove the pizza.

My pizza costs me about $2 to $3 and we greatly prefer it to the local
salty greasy "pizza". If we were in NYC, then that would be another matter.

Pandora 16-12-2006 04:39 PM

"John" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

Gnam Gnam! It seems very good!

thank you for this pic!

--
Merry Christmas
Pandora

Kent 16-12-2006 07:12 PM

"John" > wrote in message
> First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg
>
> The pizza peel is also homemade. I made it from scrap wood and coated in
> shellac. I have it for about 10 years.
>
> Dough for a 13"-15" pizza
>
> 3/4 cups of water.
> 1/2 tsp yeast
> 1/2 tsp sugar (sucrose)
> about 2 cups of KA white flour.
>
> Add yeast and sugar to warm water to dissolve.
>
> I use a cuisinart to knead the dough. The dough should be just slightly
> sticky.
>
> Let dough rise is a slightly oily pot for about and hour or two.
>
> Preheat oven to 550 degrees with pizza stone in oven.
>
> I use Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes with basil for the pizza sauce. I found
> it a lot less expensive (about $1 per 28oz can) and much better tasting
> than commerical "pizza" sauce.
>
> I use Sargento mozzarella & provolone. Every now and then my supermarket
> has them on sale for half price so I stock on them.
>
> I roll the dough on a lightly dusted pizza peel. I measure the dough out
> for my pizza stone; a 14" stone bought from Bed & Bath for $15. I wish I
> still had my commercial oven where I used to make 20" pizzas.
>
> Add a little oregano and or garlic powder to the top of the cheese.
>
> Slide the pizza onto heated stone in oven.
>
> Carefully watch the pizza. It can go from delicious to burned in a few
> minutes. When the bottom the crust is slightly brown, I remove the pizza.
>
> My pizza costs me about $2 to $3 and we greatly prefer it to the local
> salty greasy "pizza". If we were in NYC, then that would be another
> matter.

Your picture looks very nice. Some time ago a breadmaker friend told me not
to roll
pizza dough, but to stretch it by hand, coupled with the occasional toss
into the air. I started doing this and I not do it routinely. The finished
crust has an airy delicacy at the edges, and somehow the bottom remains
crispier than the rolled. I'm guessing you are rising for a long time with
only 1/2 tsp yeast.

I've been doing what you do with sauce for some time. Trader Jose's has 28oz
Roma tomatoes for about a buck a can. Process it, season it, and that's it.
Some time ago the San Francisco Chronicle had a taste test on canned
tomatoes, and Trader Joe's won, over other very expensive ones.

Making pizza is a mental illness, albeit an enjoyable one.

Kent

Janet Wilder[_1_] 16-12-2006 09:05 PM

John wrote:

> My pizza costs me about $2 to $3 and we greatly prefer it to the local
> salty greasy "pizza". If we were in NYC, then that would be another matter.

John,

I'm a Jersey Girl living in way-the-heck-south Texas, about 15 miles
from the Gulf of Mexico and 6 miles from the Rio Grande, the border with
the country of Mexico. Finding decent pizza here is impossible.

Prior to settling here, we lived and traveled in our RVs for 9 years. We
never found pizza comparable to the Northeast.

I make my own pizza, too. My recipe is pretty much the same as yours. I
use the Cuisineart to mix the dough, too. It is definitely worth the
wait for the dough to rise. Those who don't know *real* pizza aren't
missing anything and will eat "corporate" pizza and think it's just
fine. I make my sauce from tomato puree. The only prepared pizza sauce
that is a little palatable is Ragu Pizza Quick.

I also use Sargento's cheeses because there isn't much choice here in
Mexico Texas. I freshly grate Parmasano Reggiano and Locatelli Romano on
top of the mozzarella. Local groceries do carry the good imported
cheeses as does Sam's Club.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

-L. 16-12-2006 10:50 PM

John wrote:
> First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

Sigh. John, hon. If you are going to post a photo of a pizza in this
newsgroup you have to follow the Cabal-approved format. The header
should merely read "I made a pizza".

HTH and HAND,

-L.

Baking Mad 20-12-2006 09:46 PM

Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

It looks scrumptious. What kind of King Arthur flour did you use?

I recently tried some of their Italian-Style Flour for a pizza. It
makes a much "looser" dough. A bit harder to control than one made
from all-purpose or bread flour.

Do you place your stone on the bottom of your oven?

In a smaller oven, I place pizza, on a metal pan, directly onto the
bottom.

nogoer 21-12-2006 12:23 PM

John wrote:
> First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

<snip>

That pizza looks yummy!! Your peel also looks professional and you hand
made it?!?

I see you obtained good results from rolling your dough. I normally
pinch the crust out then stretch it. Sometimes i will spin it in the
air too because it gives a nice round crust. Always i stretch the
center with my knuckles to thin it out. Then i let it rise for a few
minutes, this combined with oven spring gives just a thick enough crust
to be both chewy and crispy.

nogoer 21-12-2006 09:48 PM

Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

John wrote:
<snip>
Another post was started by someone claiming your pizza was dull...in
his opinion. Disregard those ranting comments, your pizza is not dull
and it looks better than most of my attempts. Im not sure why he felt
the urge to start a new thread just to claim yours was dull and then
link to his own. Others stepped in and supported you.

Cindy 09-01-2007 01:07 AM

Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is "KA white flour?"
Cindy

kuvasz guy 09-01-2007 01:16 AM

Cindy wrote:
> At the risk of sounding stupid, what is "KA white flour?"
> Cindy

King Arthur Flour - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/

...fred

pltrgyst[_1_] 10-02-2007 04:34 PM

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:05:05 -0600, Alan wrote:

>As anyone who cooks much knows, making pizza is very easy!
>
>On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:46:44 -0500, John >
>wrote:

Well, much easier than thinking, anyway, since it took you almost two months to
comment on this thread, and inanity is the best you could do.

-- Larry

jeanettemn 11-02-2007 04:13 PM

sounds good, I will have to try this. Thank you

Mike H 12-02-2007 02:54 AM

Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

Alan wrote in
:

> As anyone who cooks much knows, making pizza is very easy!

But making a GOOD one isn't always so. Gotta do it right ;)

> I've used a Betty Crocker recipe for years, and don't worry
> about brand-name tomatoes, etc. etc. etc.

Brand names can make a difference tho, for example, the use of King
Arthur AP Flour makes a difference in the final texture of the dough due
to the higher than normal AP protien levels.

THat said, I'm lazy, I just keep pouches of either Wal-Mart brand or
Martha White brand dough mix on hand, and put it together when I need it.
Tho now that I thursdays off, and friday is our Pizza day, I"ll likely
move to scratch dough.

Christine[_2_] 12-02-2007 07:14 AM

Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

A month and two days equals "almost two months?"

Sure hope you use a timer for cooking....

pltrgyst[_1_] 12-02-2007 03:38 PM

Easy home-made pizza (with picture). Eat your heart out.

56 days is just a smidge more than one month and two days. Sure hope you use
someone else's brain for counting eggs...

-- Larry

[email protected] 13-02-2007 08:16 PM

On Dec 16 2006, 10:39 am, "Pandora" > wrote:
> "John" > ha scritto nel messaggionews:458414d7$0$7063$4c368faf@roadrunner. com...
>
> > First, here are the results (broadband/DSL recommended):

> >http://i10.tinypic.com/2eklx6f.jpg

> Gnam Gnam! It seems very good!
>
> thank you for this pic!
>
> --
> Merry Christmas
> Pandora
> --------------------------------------
>

> > The pizza peel is also homemade. I made it from scrap wood and coated in
> > shellac. I have it for about 10 years.

> > Dough for a 13"-15" pizza

> > 3/4 cups of water.
> > 1/2 tsp yeast
> > 1/2 tsp sugar (sucrose)
> > about 2 cups of KA white flour.

> > Add yeast and sugar to warm water to dissolve.

> > I use a cuisinart to knead the dough. The dough should be just slightly
> > sticky.

> > Let dough rise is a slightly oily pot for about and hour or two.

> > Preheat oven to 550 degrees with pizza stone in oven.

> > I use Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes with basil for the pizza sauce. I found
> > it a lot less expensive (about $1 per 28oz can) and much better tasting
> > than commerical "pizza" sauce.

> > I use Sargento mozzarella & provolone. Every now and then my supermarket
> > has them on sale for half price so I stock on them.

> > I roll the dough on a lightly dusted pizza peel. I measure the dough out
> > for my pizza stone; a 14" stone bought from Bed & Bath for $15. I wish I
> > still had my commercial oven where I used to make 20" pizzas.

> > Add a little oregano and or garlic powder to the top of the cheese.

> > Slide the pizza onto heated stone in oven.

> > Carefully watch the pizza. It can go from delicious to burned in a few
> > minutes. When the bottom the crust is slightly brown, I remove the pizza.

> > My pizza costs me about $2 to $3 and we greatly prefer it to the local
> > salty greasy "pizza". If we were in NYC, then that would be another
> > matter.- Hide quoted text -

damn that looks good!

[email protected] 13-02-2007 08:17 PM