Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default looking for a recipe for a mustard or vinegar based bar-b-que sauce.

I'm looking for a recipe for a mustard or vinegar based bar-b-que
sauce. Most of the sauces in the store are very bad, even the ones
suggested by consumer reports. Many have the same kind of flavor
ingredient ( I don't know what) that I dislike.
I'd like some kind of tangy mustard or vinegar based sauce, or even a
tomatoes based sauce if it is good. It would almost have to be better
then the store brands.
Thanks

eVe
Posted to alt.food.recipes

eVe GiiDiiOn wrote:
> I'm looking for a recipe for a mustard or vinegar based bar-b-que
> sauce. Most of the sauces in the store are very bad, even the ones
> suggested by consumer reports. Many have the same kind of flavor
> ingredient ( I don't know what) that I dislike.
> I'd like some kind of tangy mustard or vinegar based sauce, or even a
> tomatoes based sauce if it is good. It would almost have to be better
> then the store brands.
> Thanks
>
> eVe

Googling 'recipe mustard barbecue' turns up all kinds of items.
Regards
Lee
Posted to alt.food.recipes

I've been experimenting with this and put a couple of cups of vinegar
in the blender and then add a variety of dried peppers, ancho, pasilla,
chipotle, morita, a spoonful of onion salt and blend for a while till the
chiles are pretty well pulverized. No tomato. I order my chiles from
www.thespicehouse.com as it is easier than looking for them in specialty
stores.

I have been using this on boneless country style ribs, I put them on a big
flat pan, bake at 350º for about 45 minutes, then pour some of the sauce all
over them, cook for another 15 minutes, flip, add more sauce, another 15
minutes, serve. Make a lot, they're even better as leftovers which have
been kept in a container with all the extra sauce poured over them.

Sorry this "recipe" isn't more specific, but I'm kind of a throw this and
that in sort of cook. I'm sure my mix of chiles is different each time but
it's always good.

"eVe GiiDiiOn" > wrote in message

| I'm looking for a recipe for a mustard or vinegar based bar-b-que
| sauce. Most of the sauces in the store are very bad, even the ones
| suggested by consumer reports. Many have the same kind of flavor
| ingredient ( I don't know what) that I dislike.
| I'd like some kind of tangy mustard or vinegar based sauce, or even a
| tomatoes based sauce if it is good. It would almost have to be better
| then the store brands.
| Thanks
|
| eVe

Posted to alt.food.recipes

eVe GiiDiiOn wrote:

> I'm looking for a recipe for a mustard or vinegar based bar-b-que
> sauce. Most of the sauces in the store are very bad, even the ones
> suggested by consumer reports. Many have the same kind of flavor
> ingredient ( I don't know what) that I dislike.
> I'd like some kind of tangy mustard or vinegar based sauce, or even a
> tomatoes based sauce if it is good. It would almost have to be better
> then the store brands.
> Thanks
>
> eVe

The best vinegar based BBQ sauce I know of is made by Lexington BBQ in
Lexington, NC. I'm sure they'd ship it. It's quite thin and not at all
like the tomato based products.

Mustard based sauces are indiginous to coastal South Carolina. You might
try Googling up some restaurants in the Charleston area. Many of them
sell and will ship their sauces.

I like the original flavor KC Masterpiece for a tomato based sauce. DH
likes Stubbs brand, a Texas company. Stubbs is low in carbs so it
doesn't create problems for his Diabetes.

Good luck

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.recipes

l, not -l wrote:

> [...]
>>tomatoes based sauce if it is good. It would almost have to be better
>>then the store brands.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> LEXINGTON-STYLE VINEGAR SAUCE
>
> Recipe By :Elizabeth Karmel
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 2 cups apple cider vinegar
> 1/2 cup ketchup
> 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 1 tablespoon kosher salt
> 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
> 1/2 tablespoon red chili flakes -- (1/2 to 1)
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
>
> Mix all ingredients together in a large non-reactive bowl and let sit at
> least 10 minutes or almost indefinitely, covered in the refrigerator.
>
> Source:
> ""Taming the Flame" (Wiley, 358 pages, $24.95),"
> S(Internet Address):
> "http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/229436_bbqmain22.html"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> NOTES : MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS
>
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> North Carolina Vinegar Sauce
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:07
> Categories : Bbq Sauces

> 1 cup vinegar
> 4 tablespoons ketchup
> 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
> 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
> 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
> 1 teaspoon celery seed
>
> Mix all ingredients. Let sit, covered, overnight. Serve with barbecued
> meat.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Yet anothter North Carolina Barbecue Sauce
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 6 Tbsp Minced onion
> 2/3 cup yellow mustard
> 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 1 cup Ketchup
> 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
> 1 teaspoon black pepper
> Melt butter. Add onion and saute approximately 3 minutes over medium heat.
> Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for
> approximately 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 2 2/3 cups. Season to
> taste with salt and pepper, for basting or as a warm dipping sauce.

> Kentucky style: Moonlite Bar-B-Q's original recipe for mutton dip.
> 1 gallon water
> 1 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 2 ½ tablespoons black pepper
> 1/3 cup brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon MSG
> 1 teaspoon ground allspice
> 1 teaspoon onion salt
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
> 1 2/3 cup vinegar
>
> Mix all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a rolling boil. Remove
> from heat and use to baste meat. Use the rest as a dip for chopped, or

I've eaten at the famous Lexington Barbeque in Lexington, NC as well as
two or three other Lexington area BBQ joints and none of the sauces were
made like your recipe. I don't know where yo got it, but it's definitely
not authentic.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

One superb mustard-based sauce casa bona General Cooking 4 26-06-2013 05:47 PM
One superb mustard-based sauce casa bona Barbecue 0 25-06-2013 11:01 PM
Vinegar Based Sauce B-Worthey Barbecue 4 17-04-2006 06:32 PM
SC mustard-based bbq sauce: recipes? MRTL Barbecue 6 25-04-2005 10:44 PM
Other uses for vinegar based sauce [email protected] Barbecue 5 03-03-2005 03:26 PM