Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default Why carrots going soft?

Bought some fresh carrots yesterday, stood them in glass in an inch of water
in the fridge, today they have gone limp...?

What is the best way to store carrots

TIA

-bg-

Posted to alt.food.recipes

More water or dampen them and seal them in a ziplock bag. Did they have the
tops on? If so you should remove them as they give a good path for the
moisture in the carrots to escape.

In news:MjiSg.47753$5R2.21088@pd7urf3no,
*bg* > stated
| Bought some fresh carrots yesterday, stood them in glass in an inch
| of water in the fridge, today they have gone limp...?
|
| What is the best way to store carrots
|
| TIA
|
| -bg-

Posted to alt.food.recipes

*bg* wrote:
> Bought some fresh carrots yesterday, stood them in glass in an inch of water
> in the fridge, today they have gone limp...?
>
> What is the best way to store carrots
>
> TIA
>
> -bg-

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...ing_plus/50989

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/NWREC/carrot-w.html#storage

Basically, keep them cool, moist, and topped (trim the greens to about 1
inch).

Personally, I keep mine in a crisper drawer in the fridge, in a
perforated plastic bag, with minimal greens.

DJ Daimon