Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default req: sponge cake recipe?

Saw a show on Food Network. Several of the chefs used sponge cake to
make "The Biggest Strawberry Shortcake" like 15" to 20" in diam.
Another one used it to make her version of "twinkies". One was a white
sponge cake and one was yellow.
Julia Child in one of her episodes of Baking with Julia said that
sponge cake was always made with oil not butter; but she doesn't have
a sponge cake recipe in the darn book!!

Anybody got a few?
Thanks
Posted to alt.food.recipes

wrote:
> Saw a show on Food Network. Several of the chefs used sponge cake to
> make "The Biggest Strawberry Shortcake" like 15" to 20" in diam.
> Another one used it to make her version of "twinkies". One was a white
> sponge cake and one was yellow.
> Julia Child in one of her episodes of Baking with Julia said that
> sponge cake was always made with oil not butter; but she doesn't have
> a sponge cake recipe in the darn book!!
>
> Anybody got a few?
> Thanks

Not that I can copy/paste from my computer. I've only made it once
(they are good but my family doesn't eat cake).

I can tell you a couple of things about sponge cakes though.

1. think of Anglefood cake (no butter or oil involved) except sponge
cake uses the entire egg instead of whites only
2. you beat the whites and yolks separately and you beat them a LOT
longer than is intuitive - especially if you make souffles
3. "Thick and lemon colored" takes more than 5 minutes to achieve.
It's one of those things a stand mixer and a timer are good for.

Poke around the net for recipes. Here is the top site on google
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...e_cake,FF.html

The first recipe is for a lemon sponge cake (the directions are not
good for a novice) that looks very easy and delicious.

LEMON SPONGE CAKE
from COOKS.COM

6 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 325°F

Beat yolks of eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in
the sugar, grated lemon rind and juice. Fold in half of the stiffly
beaten egg whites.

Cut in sifted flour and salt; add nuts and remaining egg whites.

Bake in a slow oven for about one hour or until a toothpick inserted in
center of cake comes out nearly clean.

Sponge Cake Recipe lilchuff11 Baking 0 26-12-2011 10:14 PM
Flourless sponge cake recipe... AaronSchlom Baking 4 31-03-2005 08:22 PM
Flourless sponge cake recipe... AaronSchlom Baking 0 28-03-2005 01:05 PM
Splenda in Sponge cake Harvey Mandel Diabetic 11 14-03-2004 09:41 PM
Recipe for Sponge Cake BMC Asian Cooking 2 08-12-2003 02:11 AM