Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Default Civil War Coffee (9) Collection

Coffee Ice Cream
Rye Coffee
Chinquapin Coffee
Potato And Persimmon Coffee
Cane Seed Coffee
Pea Coffee
Burnt Sugar Coffee
Grape Coffee
War Coffee

Coffee Ice Cream

1 cup whole coffee beans, roasted light brown
1 qt. whole milk
yolks of 8 eggs
Sugar

Toast two gills of raw coffee till it is a light brown, and not a grain
burnt; put it hot from the toaster without grinding it, into a quart of
rich, and perfectly sweet milk; boil it, and add the yolks of eight eggs;
when done, strain it through a sieve and sweeten it; if properly done, it
will not be discolored. Freeze in ice cream freezer according to
directions with machine. The coffee beans may be dried, and will answer
for making in the usual way to drink, allowing more for the quantity of
water than if it had not gone through this process. >From The Virginia
Housewife by Mary Randolph, 1824.

Rye Coffee

Take rye, boil it, but not so much as to burst the grain; then dry it,
either in the sun, on the stove, or in a kiln, after which it is ready for
parching, to be used like the real Coffee Bean. Prepared in this manner,
it can hardly be distinguished from the genuine Coffee. The Rye when
boiled and dried, will keep for any length of time, so as to have it ready
whenever wanted for parching. F. W. Claussen in the Charleston, SC
Mercury, Feb. 8, 1862.

Chinquapin Coffee

According to the Augusta Constitionalist, chiniquapins are said to be a
very fair substitute for coffee. Note: the chiniquapin is a tree nut that
grows only in the south. It is said to resemble chestnuts. >From the
Yorkville, GA, Enquirer, Sept. 30, 1863.

Potato And Persimmon Coffee

Save the seeds of the persimmon after they have been boiled, and you let
out the slop; for they are excellent for coffee, rather stronger and
rougher than the genuine Rio South American coffee, usually imported from
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil hence I mix two parts of dried potatoes to one of
persimmon seeds. By the boiling the seeds are rid of all mucilaginous
substances and just right for coffee or buttons. If you use them for
buttons, the washerwoman will hardly break them with her battling stick.
For coffee, they should be parched twice as long as any other substitute,
so as to make them tender in the centre. >From the Confederate Baptist,
Columbia SC, Nov. 18, 1863.

Cane Seed Coffee

I have found from experiments I have made that the seed of the sugar cane
(Sorgho Sucre), parched and ground as coffee, prepared in the usual way,
but by being boiled a little longer, makes an excellent substitute for
coffee. My own impression is that, if it were brought into general use,
thousands would adopt its use, instead of coffee, even if coffee should
again be offered at its former lower prices, from the fact that all could
grow and cultivate it with so little labor, and from its approaching so
near the best Java. >From the Yorkville, SC, Enquirer, Jan. 21, 1863.

Pea Coffee

The preparation consists simply of the common English pea, picked from the
vine when dry, and roasted to a dark cinnamon brown. The taste, says the
Savannah Republican, is slightly pungent and most palatable, and we would
not turn on our heel to exchange it for the genuine article. Try it.
>From the Albany, GA, Patriot, June 30 1864. Reprinted in The Confederate

Housewife, John Hammond Moore, editor.

Burnt Sugar Coffee

Brown sugar
Hot water
Real coffee

Take some brown sugar, says the New Orleans Picayune, and burn it perfect
black. Then add hot water till it is reduced to the consistence of syrup,
and put it in a bottle ready for use. For six persons, take five
tablespoons of the liquid and put it in your coffee pot; then put in the
dripper one tablespoonful of ground coffee, and drip the boiling water
through the syrup, in such a quantity as suits your taste. It is now ready
for the table, where it is prepared in the usual manner with milk and
sugar. To the above proportions can be added more coffee, if you have it
to spare. The burnt syrup will keep any length of time. Care must be taken
not to pour the burnt syrup through the dripper. >From the Milledgeville,
GA Southern Federal Union, May 13, 1862.

Grape Coffee

Grape seeds, ground or crushed
Brew as for regular coffee

The seeds of grapes are very generally used in Germany as a substitute for
coffee, and they make an excellent substitute. When pressed, they yield a
quantity of oil, and afterwards, when boiled, furnish a liquid very
similar to that of coffee. Its flavor is delicious. From Southern Field
and Fireside, Augusta GA, Aug. 8, 1863. Reprinted in The Confederate
Housewife by John Hammond Moore.

War Coffee

1 spoonful coffee
1 spoonful toasted corn meal

A very good coffee can be made, costing only 12 1/2 cents, by mixing one
spoonful of coffee with one spoonful of toasted corn meal. Boil well and
clear in the usual way. I have used it for two weeks, and several friends
visiting my house say they could not discover anything peculiar in the
taste of my coffee, but pronounced it very good. Try it, and see if we
can't get along comfortably even while our ports are blockaded by the
would-be king. Recipe submitted by a reader to the Sumter, SC, Tri-Weekly
Watchman, July 8, 1861

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: