Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

nuke

Default Homemade Sauerkraut

>From: "Dick Kohlstrand" >
>Looking for recipes for homemade sauerkraut. Either kraut made in a
>crock or

in canning jars..

Here is a posting from this n.g. from a while ago. A very complete
instruction for making and preserving sauerkraut. I have used it several
times with good results.
nuke

From: "Joan M. Carr" >
Subject: Homemade Sauerkraut

A few days ago I responded to a request on how to use homemade
sauerkraut. In my response I mentioned that we have made sauerkraut for
a number of years. Today I received a request for my Sauerkraut recipe.
Last fall I answered a request in this same news group for a recipe for
homemade sauerkraut. A lady from Penn. and I exchanges messages over a
couple months. She wanted to try to make kraut and she had some
questions as time went on which I answered for her. She said it turned
out great and said she will try making it again. Our family learned how
to make sauerkraut from my grandfather who was of German decent. In this
recipe I am trying to incorporate all my answers to the questions that
the lady from Penn. had.

Homemade Sauerkraut

You need:
Firm heads of mature cabbage
Canning salt
For best results weigh the cabbage and the salt using a ratio of 40
pounds of cabbage to 1 (one) pound of salt.

We use a kraut cutter and a crock which are over one hundred years old.
You can use a bread or cutting board and a large knife to cut the
cabbage.

Remove the outside green and dirty leaves. Cut the heads of cabbage in
half and remove as much of the core that you can. Now is the time to
weigh the head of cabbage. We keep a running total of the cabbage we use
to make sure that we use the right ratio of salt to cabbage. When we
find out the total amount of cabbage we are using then we measure out
the exact amount of salt needed. Shred the cabbage using either a kraut
cutter or a knife. We use a kitchen scale to weigh the cabbage and salt.

Put about 5 pounds of cabbage and about 2 ounces of salt into a large
bowl and mix with your hands. Put into a crock and pack gently with a
potato masher and tamp the cabbage down until some juice comes to the
top. The first batch may not bring up juice but, after putting in the
second batch of cabbage and salt the juice should easily come to the
top. Repeat until you have used up all the cabbage and the correct
amount of salt. You must not store your kraut in a metal container.

After the last shredded cabbage and salt are put in the crock work the
cabbage with the potato masher until juice comes to the top. We use a
piece of white cloth such as a piece of a sheet to cover the kraut. Then
we put boards on the cloth and a stone to weigh the kraut down so the
juice comes to the top. Some people use one or more large plastic bags
filled with water to weigh the kraut down so it is under the juice. If
you use plastic bags make sure they are the kind that can be used with
food. Garbage bags won't do.

During the curing process, kraut requires daily attention. Remove scum
as it forms and wash and scald the cloth often to keep it free from scum
and mold and wipe the side of the crock. Fermentation will be complete
in about three weeks. The kraut should be kept in a place where the
temperature is in the mid 50s to low 60s. It needs just enough warmth
to keep it working during the fermenting process. Yet not so hot that it
will spoil.

Kraut works from the top down. To check to see if the kraut is ready
wait about 2 weeks and dig down in the center of the kraut about 5 or 8
inches. Take a little out and taste it. The kraut should be firm but
not crunchy and should have good kraut flavor. If it is not ready let it
sit for a few more days and then taste it again.

The following is for canning the sauerkraut. As soon as kraut is
thoroughly cured, pack into clean canning jars, adding enough of the
kraut juice, or a weak brine made by dissolving 2 tablespoons salt to a
quart of water, fill jars to with 1/2 inch of top of jar. Put on cap,
screwing the band tight. Process in water bath for
15 minutes. This method cooks the kraut.

We use double bags (one bag inside of another) to pack the kraut in and
then we put it in the freezer. When using this method to store the kraut
you need to leave
some space in the bags because the kraut will continue to ferment until
it is frozen. (We learned this the hard way. Had Kraut spill out into
the freezer. It really smelled.) By freezing the kraut it is fresh when
taken out of the freezer and has not been cooked. I find that cooking
the kraut with the pork chops on a low temperature for three hours it
turns out the best. Kraut tastes good raw too.

It is not often that we add any sugar at the end of the cooking time
but, sometimes if the kraut seems too sour we will add a little sugar.

The main thing is to measure your salt and weigh your cabbage. The ratio
of 1 pound of salt to 40 pounds of cabbage is very important. To little
salt will make the kraut spoil and to much salt will make the kraut to
salty.

Hints:
Weigh cabbage and salt to get the correct ratio. This is important.
Keep in a temperature where the kraut will work yet not spoil.
Check the kraut often and keep it clean.
When the kraut is ready remove about the first inch of kraut from the
top and throw it away. The top inch of the kraut usually is kind of
soft.
You may find that at some time during the fermenting process that there
doesn't seem to be enough juice. Just add some plain water. Don't put
any more salt in the kraut.

The good thing about homemade kraut is that it does not have the
preservatives that store bought kraut has.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: