Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Homemade Buttermilk and Buttermilk Pancakes

> From: "News Subsystem" >
> Subject: Buttermilk - is there a way to produce it at home?
> I live in Brazil and cannot find commercial buttermilk in the
> supermarkets. Is there any way to produce it at home?

Here you go, not only Home Made Buttermilk for you pancakes, but Home Made
Butter and Homemade Maple Syrup to to top them off. Enjoy!!!.

Homemade Buttermilk

heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. salt (optional, see below)

This is soooo easy!! Get a large container of heavy whipping cream or as
much as your mixing bowl can safely hold. Let it sit out at room
temperature overnight or outside in the sun for 3-4 hours. Using a Kitchen
Aid type mixer, pour it into the mixer bowl with the flat beater, not the
dough hook. Start it on a medium low speed for 2-3 minutes, then turn it
up to medium high. Soon you will hear it start to slosh,that means the
milk is separating from the butter (instant homemade buttermilk!). You
don't want it splashing all over the kitchen, so pour as much of the
buttermilk out into a container for later use and continue on medium high
speed until it's done separating. Again, pour as much of the milk out as
you can. Take a spatula and put the fresh butter in a butter mold or tub
type container, allowing any milk or air to drain out.

NOTE: Most folks don't like added salt, but you can if you desire. If you
do, keep in mind that if you taste it right after you add it, the butter
will taste extremely salty. So let it rest for a few hours and it will
mellow out tremendously.

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 cup sifted flour
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1 cup Homemade Buttermilk, more if desired
2 Tbsp Homemade Butter, melted

Preheat a lightly greased griddle or fry pan. Sift and measure flour; sift
again with sugar, salt and baking soda. Beat egg in medium bowl, gently
blend in buttermilk. Don't overstir!!! Add dry ingredients, beating until
smooth; blend in melted butter. Add up to 1/4 cup more buttermilk for
thinner cakes. Cook on lightly greased griddle or fry pan. Turn pancakes
when surface bubble begin to break. Serve immediately, topped with
homemade butter and homemade Maple syrup(see below). Makes: 12 pancakes.

Homemade Maple Syrup

1 lb. brown sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp. mapeline flavoring

Bring all the ingredients to a boil, stirring constantly. Let the syrup
simmer for 2-3 minutes. Store in the refrigerator. Great on Pancakes!!

--
William Barfieldsr

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

Buttermilk pancakes Christopher M.[_2_] General Cooking 24 22-03-2010 06:45 PM
Best Buttermilk Pancakes Tracy E. Carman[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 14-01-2010 10:51 PM
Buttermilk Pancakes Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 25-10-2006 04:29 PM
Buttermilk Pancakes Tim Recipes 0 28-06-2005 10:28 AM
Buttermilk Pancakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-06-2005 03:54 PM