Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Cold Vegetable Soups (4) Collection

Zucchini Bisque
Carrot And Leek Bisque
Pease Porridge
Chilled Avocado Soup

From: "L Ross" >
here in the Carolinas, the weather has moved straight from late winter
to early summer! Any good recipes for cold vegetable soups would be
much appreciated. (fans herself)

Yup, it's been over 90 degrees here in the Carolinas for the past few
days -- and it's only mid-April! Here are some recipes for chilled
soups. But almost any soup tastes good the next day straight out of the
'fridge -- very refreshing during the sultry summer months. Give it a
try ;-). For more soup recipes visit our recipe collection at
www.catteacorner.com/recipes.htm. - The Tea Cat

Zucchini Bisque

About 6 servings

2 Tablespoons light oil (sunflower, peanut, etc.)
2 medium onions, chopped
6 cups (about 3 pounds) zucchini, sliced thinly
1 cup carrots, sliced thinly
4 cups vegetable broth or bouillon
1 cup dry white wine
1 pound silken tofu
salt and ground black pepper to taste
fresh dill and/or parsley, chopped, for garnish

Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the
onions and saute for about a minute, then add the zucchini and
carrots. Continue sauteing until the vegetables are soft, about five
to ten minutes. Stir in the broth or bouillon and wine. Break the tofu
into four or five pieces, and add to the mixture. Cook until tofu is
heated through, about five minutes. Remove from heat, place in the bowl
of a blender or food processor, and blend or process until smooth (you
may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your
blender or food processor's bowl). Pour the bisque back into the
saucepan and return to heat. Adjust seasonings and cook for another
four to five minutes, stirring as needed. Serve hot, or place in
airtight container and chill, then stir before serving. Garnish with
dill and/or parsley.

Carrot And Leek Bisque

About 4 servings

5 cups water
3 cubes or teaspoons vegetable bouillon or broth
4 medium carrots, diced
1 small onion, white or yellow, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 large leeks, white part only, sliced in rounds
1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground or rubbed sage
salt to taste
1 Tablespoon corn or sesame oil
Tofutti Sour Supreme Better than Sour Cream, optional
chopped fresh dill or chives, optional

In a large soup pot, mix the water with the bouillon or broth, and
bring it to a boil. Add the vegetables along with the garlic, basil,
thyme, and sage. Return to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer about
20 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft. Add salt to taste. Remove
about one-half cup of carrots with a slotted spoon or spatula and set
aside. Puree the remaining soup in a blender or food processor until
smooth; you may need to do this in two or more batches depending on the
machine's capacity. Return the puree to the pot. Stir in the oil and
reserved carrots; heat through and serve, garnished with a dollop of
Sour Supreme and chopped dill or chives if desired. To serve chilled,
place soup without garnish in an airtight container in the refrigerator
for several hours or overnight. Serve with garnishes as above.

Pease Porridge

About 4 to 6 servings

2 cups dried green split peas
1 medium onion, quartered
2-1/2 cups water
2 large bay leaves, crushed slightly but not broken
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 teaspoons vegan margarine
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash of freshly ground black pepper, or to taste

Place the split peas, onion, water, and bay leaves into a large, heavy
pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring
occasionally, until the peas are very soft, about 1-1/2 hours. Remove
from heat, remove and discard the bay leaves, and drain out any
remaining water (you can save it and use it as a base for another
soup). Use a blender or food processor to puree the vegetables, then
return the puree to the pot and add the salt, margarine, paprika, and
pepper. Cook briefly on very low heat (or use a heat diffuser under the
pot) until just heated through. Serve hot (or, if you want to test the
nursery rhyme, serve it cold -- just don't let it sit for nine days
;-).

Chilled Avocado Soup

About 4 servings

1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into quarters
3 cups vegetable broth or stock, chilled
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
garnish (optional): chopped fresh tomato, chopped parsley, chopped
scallions (green onions)

Place all ingredients except garnish into a blender and blend until
smooth. Serve immediately, topped with a teaspoonful of chopped
tomatoes, or a sprinkling of scallions or parsley.

Variations:

> For an "adults only" version of this soup, replace 1 cup of the broth or

stock with 1 cup dry white wine, well chilled.
> For a pretty presentation, float a paper-thin slice of lemon on top,

sprinkled lightly with chopped parsley.

Recipes courtesy of Our vegan recipe collection at The Cat-Tea Corner
www.catteacorner.com.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: