Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes
exotec

Default Another Flank Steak Marinade

Another Flank Steak Marinade

This is a marinade my mom always used. I know she got it from a friend
somewhere along the line, but I have no idea who it may have been, or
whether it's something from a recipe book or just developed in the
kitchen. In any event, it's a great marinade, and although I've tried
lots of others, I keep coming back to this one. Sorry the amounts
aren't exact, it's a pretty much "by-feel" recipe - adjust to your
whim!

The biggest flank steak you can find
(you can also use london broil, but get a thinner one; and you'll have
to spike it to death with a tenderizer to get the flavor to go all the
way through)
about a cup of sherry*
about 1/4 - 1/3 cup soy sauce
about 1/4 cup brown sugar
a couple tablespoons of crushed garlic (or as much as you like!)
about 1/4 cup oil
about a tablespoon of ginger

*if you find the sherry flavor too strong, you can add some water the
next time

Mix all the ingredients well in your marinade container (you can use a
big ziploc or one of those Rubbermaid/Tupperware containers) and then
add the steak. If you're using a ziploc, try to squeeze out as much
air as you can. I usually put the marinading steak in the fridge
overnight, or all day, and turn it every 3-4 hours.

I've tried this cooked on the grill, and it's okay ... but it tastes
best to me just broiled. Broil it on one side until it starts to char
and curl up, and then turn it, pour on a little of the marinade, and
broil it on the other side until it starts to char. Be careful,
because it tends to spit and pop in the broiler!

We like it simple, with a baker and some green beans almondine, or
with wild rice and julienned veggies. And if you're anything like we
are, I wouldn't expect to have any leftovers! Makes awesome
thin-sliced sandwich meat, if you can get that far.

Enjoy.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

flank steak lowdown Barbecue 8 11-08-2006 01:14 AM
Marinade For Flank Steak Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 08-12-2005 04:22 AM
Marinade, Flank Steak (2) Collection Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 29-11-2005 03:51 AM
flank steak lowdown Barbecue 10 28-11-2005 09:29 PM
flank steak Barbecue 2 28-11-2005 02:58 PM