Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Terry Stautzenberger

Default Long John Silver's Batter-Dipped Fish

Request From: "Larry" >
Hey guys can anyone tell me how to mix up the stuff and what I need
to make the breading on deep fried fish come out something close to
Long John Silver's fish....thanks Larry

Here is a recipe I copied some time back, it's good at least I think so.

Terry S. Seguin Tx.

Long John Silver's Batter-Dipped Fish

(A copy cat recipe)
3 cups soybean oil
2 pounds fresh cod fillets
1/3 cup self rising flour
1 cup water
1 large egg
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt

Heat oil in a deep pan to 375 degrees. Cut fish into wedges approx.
7"x 2" (wide end) x 1 1/2" (narrow end).With mixer, blend flour, water,
egg, sugar, and salt. Dip each fillet into the batter, coating
generously, and quickly drop into the oil. Fry each fillet until dark
golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from oil and place on paper towels
or metal rack to drain. Yields: 4 to 6 fish fillets

Note: Soybean oil is what your local Long John Silver's uses to
fry their fish, and you will best duplicate the real thing by using the
same oil. But any other oil may be substituted. You might want to try
canola oil. It is the oil lowest in saturated fat, and the taste
difference is only slight. It's crucial that your oil be hot before
frying the fish. To test the temperature., drip some batter into the
oil. It should bubble rapidly. After 5 minutes., the test batter should
become golden brown. If so, fry away, fish fiends.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D Hill at .
Archives: