Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Old Magic1

Default Fritlach (Ashkenazic Sweet Fritters)

> From: "LARRY GOLTZ" >
> My mother in used to make a flat fried...very thin, very crispy flat
> bread...fried with cinnamon and sugar on top....in a fry pan called
> "Fritlach". Have been trying to fid the recipe for years. if anyone has

an

From: "Sephardic Favors: Jewish Cooking of the Mediterranean,"
by Joyce Goldstein/Chronicle Books

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp double-acting baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (optional)
2 large eggs
2/3 cup milk, water, flat beer or 1/3 cup milk and 1/3 cup beer
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter, margarine or vegetable shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract, or 2 Tbsp brandy
Vegetable, sunflower or peanut oil for deep-frying
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices, if using.
Combine the eggs, milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla.
Stir into the flour mixture to make a loose batter.
Cover and let stand for about 1 hour.
Heat at least 1 inch of oil over medium heat to 375° F.
Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls or tablespoonfuls into the oil and fry,
turning once, until puffed and golden brown on all sides, about 1 1/2
minutes per side.
Remove with a wire mesh skimmer or tongs and drain on a wire rack.
You can keep the fritlach warm in a 250-degree oven while preparing the
fremaining fritters.
Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

Variation:

Omit the baking powder. Increase the eggs to 4. Separate the eggs and
combine the yolks with the milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Beat the egg
whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the batter. Makes: about 30
small or 24 medium fritters

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: