Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Sapphire(Cindie)

Default Fruitcake

Here is a fruit cake recipe. It's a terribly simple recipe that
you can make your own and then you can have your own secret family
recipe for fruitcake.

I've had this recipe for a long time. I don't even remember where I
got it at.

First you decide what kind of fruit that you want to use. You can use
any dried or candied fruit that you would like to use in any
combination you want. You can use dried peaches, apples, currants,
cherries, cranberries, apricots. You can use candied cherries,
pineapple and the candied orange/lemon and lime peel. I have even used
some of that cheap candied fruit that has rutabaga in it. LOL I
wouldn't want to use that for the whole fruit cake though. You chop
your fruit into what ever size pieces that you would like. Then I take
liquor (I use apricot brandy or cherry brandy or rum) and pour on the
fruit and let it set for a day or 2 or 3. I usually leave it set out
on the counter the first day and then put it in the fridge if I don't
have time to make the cakes then and leave it until I do. Then you
drain off the liquor and set it aside I usually get a funnel and pour
it back into the bottle. This will be used to drizzle over the
fruitcakes until Christmas. You need about 4 cups of chopped fruit.
This will be about 2 pounds.

When you are ready to make fruitcake Here is the rest of the
ingredients and the directions. This will make one fluted tube pan or
2 loaf pans or probably about 4 of the mini pans.

1/4 pound of butter ( I have never used anything but so I don't know
how butter shortening would work )
1/4 cup brown sugar/honey/sugar/maple syrup (choose your own flavour)
(word to the wise if you are using a lot of
candied fruit it is sweet and your are going
to pour the liquor that you have had on the
fruit over the cakes so this is also going to
sweeten it. I usually cut back on the sugar,
but I make a bigger batch of fruit cake.)
2 eggs
1 cup flour
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of unsalted nuts chopped to your liking. ( any combination you
want. Chose the kind of nuts that you like.
Brazilnuts/cashews/almonds/pecans/macadamia/
make the recipe your own.)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line your loaf pans with wax paper and spray with cooking spray. I
usually buy disposable pans from the dollar store. You can also use
muffin tins to make individuals.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Add the rest of the
ingredients and mix well. Put in loaf pans and bake at 350 F until a
toothpick
inserted into the middle comes out clean.

When the cakes are cooled drizzle liquor over the cakes. I leave them
in the tins after I loosen them and just keep drizzling with the
liquor until they are ready to eat. Or you are ready to eat them. I
have eaten them right after baking and drizzling on the first liquor
because one of them fell apart on me. or left them in a cool dark
place for weeks and kept drizzling the liquor on. I put up a sign
where I see it every day that says give the fruit cake a drink and
every few days I drizzle on a bit more liquor.

This is a great recipe and tastes wonderful.

Happy baking

And MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

Cindie

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

More Fruitcake Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 14 18-11-2014 02:45 AM
Fruitcake Betty Young Recipes (moderated) 0 11-12-2007 09:17 PM
OT Fruitcake jay General Cooking 6 03-03-2006 04:34 AM
Ice Box Fruitcake [email protected] General Cooking 0 22-12-2004 12:12 PM
Fruitcake for fruitcake haters (WAS: Fruitcake as Gifts: A Plea kalanamak General Cooking 13 28-11-2003 02:12 PM