Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Member

Location: Seattle
Default A Japanese Stir-fry

My favorite dish, I often make for myself, is "nabe" [nah'-beh]: Japanese for "soup" or "stew". It's so easy & versatile. I don't really have a recipe; I just throw things together. So feel free to experiment with this; changing it according to your tastes or the volume you need.

First I start the rice. The Japanese prefer the white short-grained variety. If you don't have a rice cooker, cook it a double-boiler system for 20 minutes. Or if you prefer, prepare noodles (ramen, soba, udon, etc.). That's good too.

In a large pan, I sauté garlic, onions, & bell pepper in olive oil over medium heat. Other vegetables can be added; such as broccoli, mushrooms, bamboo shoot, mung bean sprouts, cabbage, green bean, zucchini, or whatever else you enjoy. Then I add diced raw chicken, beef, or pork. You vegetarians can leave this part out. If you prefer seafood, such as shrimp or scallops, add these during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Next, I add a mixture of equal parts lemon juice & soy sauce; usually 1 tbs each, but you can increase these if cooking for more than 2 people. After stirring this thoroughly, I cover the pan & let simmer on low for 20 minutes.

(Inspired by a lot of Chinese cooking, I've been adding dried chiles; the small red ones. [Some call them "chile Japones" or "chile de arbol." Other just say dried chilies.] I find them in many import shops. Very few of the supermarket chains carry them. I usually add four larges ones or six small ones to the recipe above, when adding the garlic. When eating, take teeny bites of these along with a large mouthful of meat & rice. These are very hot. If you're not use to very hot spices, I wouldn't recommend these for you.)

In a bowl, I scoop a helping of rice or noodle, then spoon the nabe over it. Sake or green tea go well with it.

NYC Japanese Gerry[_3_] Sushi 9 30-07-2009 06:13 AM
Is it really Japanese? Musashi Sushi 49 11-12-2006 06:21 PM
japanese tea vincent Tea 32 04-06-2004 03:22 PM