Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Member

Default Butternut squash and Sweet Piquanté Pepper soup

This is a really great soup recipe I've started using a lot recently. I found it on Peppadew.com (I'm a little obsessed with those Peppadew peppers at the mo). It's pretty quite and easy, but really feels like your actually creating something, really cooking - which is always a nice feeling.

These ingredients usually feed the family (my husband, two kids and I) with plenty left over for the next day:
50g butter
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
500g butternut squash, peeled and diced
100g peppadew peppers, drained
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
Pinch grated nutmeg
500ml chicken stock
500ml milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Small handful chopped chives
125ml fresh cream

1. First, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute them, then the butternut squash and peppadews. Sauté for another 5 minutes, giving it the occasional stir.

2.Add flour, curry powder and nutmeg to the saucepan and mix well. Add half of the stock and bring to the boil, stirring gently. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender.

3.Cool and pour into a food processor. Blend until mixture is smooth and return to saucepan. Add the milk, remaining stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator to chill (if preferred you can serve warm).

4.Serve chilled with a sprinkle of chopped chives and a dollop of cream.

Those loads of other lovely things on peppadew.com - that site's sortof become my bread and butter over the last few weeks.

Hope you enjoy the soup xx