Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Apple Crostata

APPLE CROSTATA
Recipe By: Ina Garten
Published in: Barefoot Contessa Parties, page 176

For the pastry - Two Tarts:
2 cups Flour -- all-purpose
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 sticks Butter diced & very cold

For the Filling - One Tart:
1 1/2 pounds McIntosh, Macoun, or Empire apples
1/4 teaspoons Grated Orange Zest
1/2 cup Flour -- all-purpose
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoons Cinnamon, Ground
1/8 teaspoons Allspice
4 tablespoons Butter - cold and diced

For the pastry place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter
and toss quickly with your fingers to coat each cube of cutter with the flour. Be careful; the blades are sharp. Pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the
butter is the size of peas. With the motor running, add 1/4 cup ice water all at once through the feed tube. Keep hitting the pulse button to combine,
but stop the machine just before the dough comes together. Turn the dough out onto a well floured board and form into 2 disks. Wrap with plastic and
refrigerate one of the disks for at least an hours. Freeze the rest of the pastry.

Preheat the oven to 450F

Roll the pastry into an 11" circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer it to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

For the filling, peel, core, and quarter the apples. Cut each quarter into 3 chunks. Toss the chunks with the orange zest. Cover the tart dough with
the apple chunks, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the
mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples. Gently fold the
border over the apples, pleating it to make a circle.

Bake the crostata for 20 to 25 minutes, then use 2 large spatulas to transfer it to a wire rack.

Serves: 6

Recipe Notes
This is my absolute, all time favorite dessert. I've made it so often that I'm sure my friends are saying behind my back, " No not the apple crostata
again," but there's never a crumb left.

Try it with any good fresh fruit. I made with fresh cherries and it was wonderful. 7/8/05. It's the pastry that I especially love. I make a one crust
version and roll it into two individual crostata.

3/14/10 Remember the Apple Crostata? I made them often last year. Well, I had a pie dough disk in the fridge and three granny smith apples and a couple
of oranges on the table. TaDa! Apple Crostata with a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream. So good. Egad that apple crostata is fabulous. If you haven't
done it be sure and put it on your list. So easy to make and so very tasty.

http://www.terryanddave.com/Terry

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Tracy E. Carman at .
Archives:

apple crostata sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 20-12-2012 05:04 AM
Apple Crostata Mr. Bill[_2_] Baking 2 03-02-2009 03:19 PM
Apple Crostata Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 1 01-02-2009 08:56 AM
Crostata di Arancia [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-04-2007 02:56 AM
Apple Crostata Puester General Cooking 0 17-10-2005 04:10 AM