Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Member

Location: Lafayette, LA
Default Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

This is my version of a cajun classic (boneless) Gumbo is my favorite food and I am glad to share this with everyone. A great cold weather treat!

2 # boneless chicken breast (cubed & seasoned)
1 # boneless chicken thighs (cubed& seasoned)
1 # Andouille or smoked sausage (cubed)
20 oz chicken stock
1 1/4 gal water
oz Savoies dark roux
2 c chopped onion
˝ c chopped bell pepper
T minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 c chopped green onion and parsley (Fresh)

Tip

1. Most failed attempts at making Gumbo reside with water/stock to roux ratio. It is critical to use the right amount of roux. The idea is to add enough roux to the water to remove all clarity plus (2) tbls +/- to attain desired heartiness. If you can see through it, you must add another tablespoon of roux.
2. Monitor the level of stock during cooking, it may boil out and become concentrated. Just add extra water should this happen.

Procedure

Bring 1 1/4 gal water to a boil – add chicken stock, roux and dissolve as described above –Add Onion, Bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf & sausage – simmer 15-20 min. Add chicken--bring to a boil then add chopped green onion & parsley and simmer 15-20 minutes.

Season to taste with Tony Chachere Cajun Seasoning (it is my favorite blend). It is important to adjust the seasoning at the end because soups will boil out and could get concentrated resulting in an over seasoned or salty Gumbo. Roux based gumbos & sauces should be, at the least, salted to blend all the flavors properly.

I like to serve gumbo in a large bowl w/small portion of cooked white rice with a slice of Garlic French Bread and a Baked Sweet Potato to compliment the dish.

Bon Appetite!