Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Jamaican Fruit Cake

For Delores Cook, who requested a recipe for Jamaican Fruit
Cake. This is UNTESTED. I did, however, just get a little
Jamaican cookbook, where I saw this recipe.... In spite of
the name, it looks like a fruit cake to me!

Dundee Cake (a la Jamaique)

Source: A Merry-Go-Round of Recipes from Jamaica by Leila
Brandon. Some editing by JB. :-)

12 oz flour (3 c)
3 tsp baking powder
9 oz seedless raisins, cut in half (2 1/2 c?)
2 oz citron, diced fine (1/4 c)
3 oz mixed peel, diced fine (1/4 c + 2 Tbsp)
4 oz crystallized cherries, cut in quarters (1/2 c unchopped)
2 oz chopped nuts (1/4 c unchopped)
grated rind of 2 limes
10 oz butter, softened
8 oz extra fine granulated sugar (1 c granulated--not sure of
extra-fine)
6 large or 5 small eggs
juice of 1/2 medium-sized orange
2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp rum
roughly 10 whole unblanched almonds for decoration

Sift flour and baking powder. Add fruits and nuts, and then lime rind.
Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after
each. By hand, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then add orange juice,
vanilla, and rum. Add remaining flour mixture and stir well; don't
overmix. Pour into greased and lined baking tin and decorate with whole
almonds. Bake at 350F for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Don't open oven
door before cake has baked for 1 hour. Alternate measurements from back
of book. Use with some caution!

--
Jean B.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: