Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Kosher Cole Slaw . Health Salad

Request: Kosher Cole Slaw
too many years ago I ate a Kosher cole slaw and have lost the recipe. It
has No mayo, primarily vinegar, cabbage, onions, celery seed (I think),
and that's about it. I have been searching for years without success. I
have spent well over 50 hours, have looked at hundreds or recipes, and
have given up each time. Month's later I'll try again, with no luck.
I just found your request form, Please help.

I believe what you are looking for is called a "Health Salad" One of the
most famous in the northeast was served by the Clairmont Diner in
Montclair, NJ who never gave out their secret recipe.

The following, from the Jewish recipe archives, is very similar to what
is made by my best friend Myrna in New Jersey, who also never gives out
her secret recipe. Tweak it until it tastes like your memories.

Health Salad

1 med head cabbage -- shredded
3 carrots -- sliced thin
1 green pepper -- sliced thin
2 cucumbers -- peeled and diced
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 lg onion -- sliced thin
3/4 cups vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix liquids. Add vegetables and let stand in fridge overnight.

--
Janet Wilder

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: