FoodBanter.com

-   Recipes (moderated) (https://www.foodbanter.com/recipes-moderated/)
-   -   Italian Bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/recipes-moderated/129392-italian-bread.html)

Tim Bowley 21-07-2007 05:34 PM

Italian Bread

I have eaten only this bread for the last 3 years, make at least 8 loaves
week

Tim Bowley

Italian Bread

>From Al Soldano, Soldano's Italian Bakery Recipe has been in use for 60+

years
Makes 10 loaves

22 cups Flour
10 cups water
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
8 tablespoons lard
4 1/2 tablespoons yeast
2 eggs

Mix flour and salt in bowl, yeast and lard in luke warm water, mixing
thoroughly.
Mix liquid with flour a little at a time. Add eggs to mix and stir
thoroughly. Cover and keep warm and let rise,(1 1/2 hour) Beat down and
let rise again (1 1/2 hour). Weigh 1 lb 3 oz and put in greased loaf
pans, cover
and let rise. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Weight is more or less,
depending on what you want for size of loaf

make egg wash for top of loaves.
sprinkle corn meal in bottom of loaf pans for crusty bottom.

1/2 of recipe makes 6 loaves

11 cups Flour
5 cups Water
1 1/4 tablespoons Salt
4 tablespoons lard
1 1/8 tablespoons yeast
2 eggs

1/4 of recipe makes 3 loaves

5 1/2 cups Flour
2 1/2 cups Water
2 teaspoons Salt
2 tablespoons lard
3 teaspoons yeast
1 egg
\

The following will make 4 loaves

8 cups Flour
2 3/4 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons crisco
3 teaspoons instant yeast
2 egg

For rye bread, use 2 cups rye flour and 6 cups regular.
For wheat bread, use 3 cups wheat flour and 5 cups regular.

I use instant yeast in all of my breads.

Tim Bowley

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: