Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Irish Soda Bread

From: "Perpetual Student"
Subject: Recipe

It has been years since I made an old recipe of my mother's, and I just
don't have it any more. It was a simple quick bread recipe for white
bread. As I remember it had white flour, eggs, cooking oil and either
baking powder or baking soda, no yeast. It was one of those recipes

where
you just mix it all together, put it in a bread pan, bake it and serve

it
just like white bread. Does anyone have a recipe like that? Any help

would
be appreciated.

Irish Soda Bread

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup margarine
or
1/3 cup shortening

Mix together flour and baking soda in large bowl; cut in margarine until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and sugar to flour
mixture; stir to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface
to knead 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth. If dough seems too dry, add a
little more buttermilk. If it seems too sticky, add a little more flour.
Shape into flattened round ball and place on greased cookie sheet. Brush
top with additional milk and cut an "X" in the top with a sharp knife.
Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and crusty.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

Irish Soda Bread MummyChunk General Cooking 4 12-03-2014 04:05 AM
Irish Soda Bread Janet Wilder Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2006 09:46 AM
Irish Soda Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:08 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:07 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2004 12:07 PM