FoodBanter.com

-   Recipes (moderated) (https://www.foodbanter.com/recipes-moderated/)
-   -   Irish Soda Bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/recipes-moderated/125377-irish-soda-bread.html)

Kathrynne Holden 03-06-2007 10:52 PM

Irish Soda Bread

> From: "Perpetual Student" >
> Subject: Recipe
>
> It has been years since I made an old recipe of my mother's, and I just
> don't have it any more. It was a simple quick bread recipe for white
> bread. As I remember it had white flour, eggs, cooking oil and either
> baking powder or baking soda, no yeast. It was one of those recipes

where
> you just mix it all together, put it in a bread pan, bake it and serve

it
> just like white bread. Does anyone have a recipe like that? Any help

would
> be appreciated.

Irish Soda Bread

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup margarine
or
1/3 cup shortening

Mix together flour and baking soda in large bowl; cut in margarine until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and sugar to flour
mixture; stir to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface
to knead 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth. If dough seems too dry, add a
little more buttermilk. If it seems too sticky, add a little more flour.
Shape into flattened round ball and place on greased cookie sheet. Brush
top with additional milk and cut an "X" in the top with a sharp knife.
Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and crusty.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: