Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Bagel Bread

> From: Lisa Snyder >
> I am looking for a recipe to make bagel bread, (shaped in loaves like

bread)

I have not tried the following recipe myself; however, it is from a
collection of recipes compiled by, and from, the members of the
Bread-Bakers mailing list years ago and came highly recommended by several
members. It is for a bread machine whole wheat bagel bread; in my
experience, most bread machine recipes can be made made by hand by a
moderately experienced baker (one who knows how dough should look and
feel). These days, I use my bread machine almost exclusively to mix and
knead the dough, then pan it and bake in a 350F oven for 30-35 minutes (I
usually test for doneness at 5 minute intervals starting at 25 minutes).

If you have dietary issues that make nutrition information very important
to you, please calculate your own; the nutrition information supplied with
this recipe is approximate and should NOT be used by those for whom the
information is critical.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Wheat Bagel Bread

Recipe By :Heather >
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread Machine Bread-Bakers Mailing List
Breads Fatfree
Whole Grain & Cereal Breads

--1 1/2 pound loaf:
1 1/2 teaspoons Active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons Gluten ---- I use Bob's Red Mill Vital
Wheat Gluten flour, available online or from supermarkets & healthfood
stores
3 cups Whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons Salt
3 tablespoons Honey
1 cup warm water

If you don't like making bagels but want the texture of bagels with the
low-fat nutritional benefits; try this bread. It tastes like a bagel and
is especially good sliced and toasted. There is one note for the
Panasonic/National machines and that is to use 3 tsp yeast for 1 1/2 lb
loaf. I believe that this is for the older Panasonics as I do remember
Linda Rehberg saying that the newer models came out after their book was
published and that the yeast amounts in her book were not for the newer
Panasonics. Upon re-reading I found I missed one thing. I did add a few
more tsps of water as the dough ball was not forming to my liking. Let me
know if you make this and how you like it.

1437 *Total calories 54 *Total protein 7 *Total fat
1 *Total saturated fat 4269 *Total sodium 45
*Total fibre
4 *Calories from fat 313 *Total carbohydrates

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

Best Bagel Ever. j.harmon09 Vegetarian cooking 4 18-07-2011 12:55 AM
Bagel Success BigJohn Sourdough 2 04-12-2005 05:24 PM
Bagel Former Belts [email protected] Restaurants 2 02-02-2005 12:20 AM
Bagel Formers Gregg Baking 0 01-02-2005 02:02 AM
Bagel question JaKe Baking 4 26-11-2003 07:18 AM