Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Kevin

Default Brown Sugar and Orange Cured Salmon

Request From: "Dora Barton" >
How about some recipes for salmon which are a little different. I am
trying to eat it often, but it gets old fixing it the same way all the
time. Thanks

Brown Sugar and Orange Cured Salmon

4 salmon fillets, about three inches wide
Fresh zest from one orange
2 cups brown sugar
ground pepper

Wash the salmon fillets in cold water and pat dry. Place flesh-side
up in a flat-bottomed glass bowl (I use a Pyrex baking dish) and
sprinkle evenly with the zest of one orange. Cover evenly and firmly
with the brown sugar, spreading with your fingers. Add a few grinds
of pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 4-24 hours.

When you're ready to cook, pre-heat your barbeque as smoking hot as it
will go (I fire mine up fifteen minutes in advance). Place the
fillets on the grill skin side down, close the lid, and LEAVE THEM
ALONE. There will be lots of smoke and the skin will burn but you're
not going to eat in anyway. Open the lid after five minutes and
you're done! Use a metal spatula to remove the fillets, leaving the
charred skin behind - the brown sugar and orange rind will have
caramelized in the intense heat to form a delicious crust.

Serve with rice, asparagus, or salad and a crisp white wine.

Enjoy!

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: