Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Donna Rose

Default Key Lime Pie (3) Collection

Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Bars

> From: (Moira)
> I live in N.Ireland but I'm often in Florida visiting relatives. I
> love eating Key Lime Pie. Has anyone got a good recipe for this.
> When I visit Florida I often buy one in Publix Supermarket.

A key lime pie is a remarkably simple pie to make. There are two
variations on it; one with eggs, one without. Try both and see which you
prefer.

Key Lime Pie

Crust: purists call for a graham cracker crust, but I prefer a nut
crust. Either is simple, or you can just buy a prepared one.

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs OR
1 1/2 cups ground pecans
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter

Add crumbs or ground nuts to pie plate; stir in sugar. Melt butter and
drizzle over all, mixing well, Use a glass to 'roll out' the crust along
the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides. Bake at 350F for 10
minutes.

Filling 1 (No Bake Version):
1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT Evaporated Milk)
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice**
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
2 cups whipped cream
Lime slices (optional)
Beat sweetened condensed milk and lime juice in small mixer bowl until
combined; stir in lime peel. Pour into crust; spread with whipped cream.
Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Garnish with lime slices.

Filling 2:
1 can (14 oz) Sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup fresh key lime juice**
Whipped cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 300F.
In a mixer on low-medium speed, blend the milk and egg yolks until
smooth. Add the key lime juice and finish blending.
Gently pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for another 15 minutes before
refrigerating. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Serve topped
with fresh whipped cream.

**Note: Key limes are the little bitty ones. They are somewhat
difficult to find outside of Florida (although I can usually find them in
the Mission District here in San Francisco). It usually takes about a
dozen to make about a half-cup of lime juice. If you cannot find key
limes, you can substitute regular limes. Three medium sized regular
limes will yield about 1/2 cup of lime juice.

Here's a slightly different version:

Key Lime Bars

3 Tbsp Butter, softened
3 Tbsp Cream Cheese
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp powdered sugar
1/3 cup fresh key lime juice

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8" square baking dish.
To make the crust, beat butter, cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar with
an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and gradually
add 3/4 cup of flour. Spread into baking dish using your hands (coat
hands with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar to prevent batter from
sticking). Bake until crust is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
To make the filling, beat eggs in the same bowl used to make crust.
Add remaining 1 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour; beat on low speed
until blended. Add lime juice and continue beating until blended. Pour
onto warm crust and bake 15 minutes more.
Cool on a rack. Cut into squares, place on serving tray and sprinkle
with remaining powdered sugar.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at
.