Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Unefer1

Default Old World Beef Brisket

Old World Beef Brisket in Saurkraut & Onion Gravy*

(this is a 150 year or older family recipe)

4 cups home made saurkraut (juice and all) or store bought....if you must!
1 bulb of garlic (peeled and mashed)
3 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
1tsp Juniper berries mashed
1 handful of crushed Thyme
6 bay leaves
1/2 cup each Appels , Onioins , Celery ,Carrots
1 cup dry red wine
Mix the above in a tub , or large bowl.
1 Beef brisket
16 oz bacon (fried & grease reserved)
6-8 peeled large chunk potatoes (new potatoes are great)

Marinate the Beef brisket for at least 24 hours in the mixture , 72 hours
is better , if you have a crock and can keep it cold. After the marination
period , you will remove the beef brisket , strain the the liquid from the
kraut (saving 2 cups) . Sear off the beef brisket till browned on all
sides in the bacon grease, and set aside. In a large covered casserole or
baking dish , layer with kraut mix , potatoes, beef brisket and crumble
the bacon on top , add the remaining liquid , cover , and bake for one (1)
and quarter(1/4) hours , or till meat is tender

* Onion gravy . I am sure everyone knows a good onion gravy recipe(s) . we
remove the potatoes , and use the gravy over them , after we fork mash
them on the plate. Bread and butter are usually served as well . Grandma
used to make her own kraut , and this one of the ways she would make it
when brisket was cheap to buy, and would feed the lot of our family. When
ones family is both German , and English , and Native American...Cooking
for large groups is what we do . I gave off the top of my head amounts ,
adjust the amounts to your taste really , I was always a kid in the
kitchen with grandma.....and I don't measure anymore. Bright days , & good
cooking Todd W.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

beef brisket [email protected] General Cooking 25 26-01-2009 07:03 PM
Beef Brisket Pat Shipp Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2008 06:19 PM
Beef brisket Bill Barbecue 34 16-01-2007 06:44 PM
Wally World Brisket $1.78/lb [email protected] Barbecue 14 24-01-2005 02:54 AM
Wally World Brisket $1.78/lb [email protected] Barbecue 0 06-01-2005 06:20 PM