Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Arita Droog

Default Herb Roasted Chicken With Fruit Stuffing

This recipe comes from a Canadian poultry board from the I just can't
remember
which one

Herb Roasted Chicken With Fruit Stuffing

4 lb roasting chicken
1 lemon
4 Tbsp softened butter
6 onions
2 unpeeled apples, diced
1 cup seedless grapes
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tsp crumbled sage (not powdered) ( I use a mixture of poultry seasoning
&
basil)
pinch granulated sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp each dried thyme and marjoram ( I use basil)
salt & pepper to taste

Pat chicken dry. Sprinkle cavity with the juice of half a lemon: set
aside. In a large skillet, melt 1 Tbsp butter. Chop 2 onions: gently cook
with apples for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in grapes, bread crumbs,
sage and half the lemon rind; add sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Cool.
Stuff big cavity and neck cavity with bread crumb mixture. Tie legs
together with string. Fold wing tips behind back to secure neck flap. In a
bowl, cream remaining butter, juice from 1/2 a lemon, lemon rind and sage
with garlic, thyme and marjoram ( I put this mixture in a small bowl &
whiz it smooth with my stick blender). Spread the herb butter on the
chicken skin including wings and legs (some under the skin is good too).
Cut remaining onions in half lengthwise; set cut side down in roasting
pan. Place chicken breast-side up, on top of onions; roast at 350F for 1
hour 20 minutes or until juices run clear when inner thigh is pricked
(internal temp 180 F). Basting often. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Serves 4-6

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: