Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Hanukkah Menu (8) Collection

Ginger Snaps
Glazed Corned Beef
Hanukkah Noodles
Honey Cookies
Potato Latkes
Sufganiyot (AKA Jelly Doughnuts)
Sweet Potato Latkes
Teiglach

Request From: Marla >
I started dating a Jewish man this year. As a surprise for him I would
Like to make some very traditional Hanukkah recipes this holiday. I would
Love any and all recipes. I plan to invite his family so I'll be feeding
10-12 people. I have advanced cooking skills, just don't know what is
Considered acceptable for the holiday! Thanks

The celebration of Hanukkah revolves around the miracle which saw one
day's worth of oil burn for eight days. To commemorate this, we eat foods
cooked in oil, and while latkes (potato pancakes) and sufganiyot (jelly
doughnuts) are traditional fare, we supplement with other foods as well.
Face it. whose arteries could hold up otherwise? I also associate the
holiday with sweetness, so there are more than just fried foods included
in this list. Some of these are my own (or my adaptations)..but most are
contributions from some very dear friends.

Tasted the most wonderful ginger snaps in the bakery at the Portland,
Oregon, airport. Upon arriving home, I set out to find a recipe that would
re-create these. This recipe produces a soft cookie rather than a crisp
one And if you think this is anything like those awful things you buy in
boxes guess again!

Ginger Snaps

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground mace or cloves
Vegetable cooking spray

Cream margarine; gradually add 2/3 cup sugar, beating at medium speed of
an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well.
Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture,
stirring until well blended. Divide dough in half; wrap each portion in
plastic wrap, and freeze for 30 minutes. Shape each portion of dough into
26 (1-inch) balls, and roll in remaining 3 tablespoons sugar. Place 2
inches apart on cookie sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350
degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from sheets; cool
on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 52 cookies (serving
size: 1 cookie). Yeah, sure.

This recipe comes from my good friend (and wonderful cook), Elaine Radis,
affectionately known to thousands as Auntie Elaine.

Glazed Corned Beef

Yield: 8 servings

5 lb Corned beef; cook according to packaged directions OR see my recipe

Glaze:
8 oz Orange marmalade
1/4 cup Brown sugar (more or less)
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard, to taste

Cook the corned beef according to the directions on the package. This can
be done a few days ahead or in the morning of the day you want to serve
it. Prepare the glaze by putting all of the ingredients into a small
saucepan and melt together. Slather the glaze over the corned beef and
put it into a 375 degree oven for about a half hour, until warmed though.
You can baste the corned beef with the remaining glaze. Slice THIN and
serve with caraway cabbage..DELICIOUS!

NOTE from Elaine: This has become one of our favorite second day holiday
meals. It can also be served as an appetizer with small rounds of rye
bread.
It is delicious and a very easy company dish.

Easy Hanukkah touches

I saw a delightful suggestion on someone's webpage: For your Hanukah
Shabbat
meal, cook lasagna noodles to the _al dente_ stage, then, using a cookie
cutter, press out dreidel shapes. Float these in chicken soup, instead of
noodles.

If your hand an eye are steady enough, you also could cut these out with a
knife, and I think Magen David shapes would be appropriate, too. As for
me, I plan to adapt this idea to croutons. What I have in mind is to slice
a loaf of bread longitudinally and let it sit out for a day. I don't have
cookie cutters (wouldn't canape' cutters be just perfect!), but I think I
can easily make a cardboard stencil and use that for a guide.

These are chewy and very sweet!

Honey Cookies

1 quart Honey
2 cup sugar
1 lb pecans
1/2 lb citron
2 Tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup brandy
Juice and peel of 1 lemon, coarsley grated
7 cup all purpose flour

In large pot, boil honey and sugar, until sugar is dissolved. Measure the
rest of the ingredients and mix into the honey sugar mixture. Refrigerate
for 3 days. Divide dough into thirds. With floured hands, press onto
greased cookie sheet to 1/4" thick. Press to within 1" of edge of sheet.
Bake on middle rack of preheated 350F oven for 20-22 minutes or until
edges begin to brown and center springs back from light tough. Upon
removing, invert onto a cutting board, and cut in 1"x 2" strips. Drizzle
glaze over cookies.

For glaze, combine 2 cups powdered sugar with enough milk to make
drizzling consistency (about 4-6 tablespoons) and a dash of lemon, orange
or almond extract, or all three.

This recipe comes from my good friend (and wonderful cook), Elaine Radis,
affectionately known to thousands as Auntie Elaine.

Elaine's Potato Latkes

Yield: 4 servings

2-1/2 pound Idaho or Russet potatoes (don't bother to peel)
1 large onion, quartered
2 eggs
1/4 cup matzo meal
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Oil, for frying
Applesauce (homemade is best)

If you are not peeling the potatoes, it is important to scrub them well
with a veggie brush or a scotch brite pad. Place the onions and the eggs
in a food processor. Zap the mixture a few times until the onion is diced
Into crunchy bits, or gone (Papa prefers it that GONE way). Pour the
contents of the food processor Into a large bowl for mixing. Cut the
potatoes lengthwise to fit in the food processor feed tube. I use the
medium grating blade and shred the potatoes. (Of course you can always use
the old fashioned reib eissen. Method which draws blood, OY) When the
potatoes are shredded, put them in a colander over the sink and squeeze.
Let the mixture drip for a few minutes. Pour the contents of the colander
into the bowl with the onion and egg mixture. Add the matzo meal, salt and
pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet, pour in 1/4" of the oil. Over high
heat get the oil VERY HOT. Using a 1/4 cup measure or a long-handled
serving spoon, start spooning the batter into the skillet. Flatten each
with a metal spatula to a diameter of 3" to 4". Cook the latkes until
golden brown on one side. Then turn over and fry them some more. When
crispy on the outside and most inside, about 5 minutes per side, remove
and place on several thickness of paper towels or clean paper supermarket
bags. Keep doing this until you run out of batter Serve the latkes
immediately with applesauce or lately, with my apple butter.

NOTE from Elaine: I can't make these fast enough. The children wait all
year for a bite, <G>! I only make them on Pesach and Chanukah.
My good friend (and excellent Jewish cook), Andrea Herrera, shared this
with
me. It's a winner.
SUFGANIYOT
1 tablespoon dry yeast (1 pkg)
4 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup lukewarm milk (or water for pareve)
2-1/2 cups flour
Pinch of salt (does it hurt the salt to get pinched :-))
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoon butter (or pareve margarine)
Apricot, strawberry or some type of preserves
Sugar
Vegetable oil

Mix yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar and milk. Let sit till it bubbles. Sift
flour mix in remaining sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg yolks and yeast mixture.
Knead dough until it forms a ball. Add butter or margarine, knead until
butter is well absorbed. Cover with a towel and let rise overnight in
fridge

The next morning: Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut
dough into 24 rounds with a juice glass or other object about 2 inches in
diameter. Place1/2 teaspoon of preserves in ceter of 12 rounds. Top with
the other 12. Press down at edges, sealing with egg whites. Crimping with
the thumb and second finger is best. Let rise for about 30 minutes. Heat
2 inches of oil to about 375 degrees. Drop the doughnuts into the hot oil,
about 5 at a time. Turn to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
Roll in sugar. Makes 12

Another recipe from my good friend (and wonderful cook), Elaine Radis,
affectionately known to thousands as Auntie Elaine.

Sweet Potato Latkes

Yield: 4 servings

2 medium sweet potatoes
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 to 2 tablespoons potato flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
Oil, for frying
Sour cream
Sugared Pecans

Parboil potatoes in boiling water until slightly tender but firm.
Refrigerate potatoes until cold. Remove skin and shred into bowl. Add
egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, potato flour and brown sugar. Mix until
well blended. Coat bottom of 10" non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons
oil. Shape latkes into 2-1/2" patties. Cook until brown on both sides and
transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Add oil as needed to remaining
batches. Pipe dollop of sour cream with pastry bag on top for each latke.
Top with

Sugared Pecans.

Sugared Pecans:
1 cup whole pecans
1 egg white
1/3 cup sugar
Spread pecans on baking sheet and brush with egg white. Sprinkle sugar on
top and bake at 400F for
9 to 12 min. Cool.
Makes 1 cup.

My friend Leah and I resurrected her grandmother's teiglach recipe and
brought it into the modern era. If you're interested in the full story of
how this version of the recipe evolved, read Anatomy of a Recipe.

Teiglach
Dough:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably Canola
1/3 cup cold water

Honey mixtu

1 pound honey
1 cup sugar
1/2 pound shelled pecans or walnuts
3 tablespoons matzoh meal
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
Ground ginger, to taste

To make the dough Combine flour, baking powder and sugar in mixer bowl
with dough hook attached. Combine eggs, oil and water. Gradually add this
to the flour mixture while set on low speed. Continue mixing till liquid
is incorporated into dry ingredients, then allow to knead until a hard,
solid dough is formed. Work with small pieces while keeping remainder of
dough enclosed in plastic. Roll dough through pasta maker to #3 thickness,
then through either the fettucine or spaghetti cutter. (If using an
electric pasta maker, simply install the proper extruding disc.) Lay the
cut dough in strips on lightly greased cookie sheets. Repeat with
remaining dough. Bake in a moderate 350F over for 1/2 hour or until just
brown. Cool. Break into two-inch pieces.

Honey mixture Melt the honey and sugar together in a 4-quart saucepan. Add
the nuts and baked dough strips. Cook over very low heat, stirring
occasionally, until a drop of the honey into cold water forms a soft ball,
234F on a candy thermometer. Stir in the matzoh meal and butter and cook
ten minutes longer Remove from heat. Butter a marble board and rolling
pin. Spread the hot honey mixture on the marble board, rolling to about
1/2-inch thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut into diamond-shaped pieces,
about 2" x 2". Sprinkle with ground ginger to taste. Store in an
air-tight container. Then hide this container from me or I'll eat the
whole thing by myself. [Copyright 1997 Mimi Hiller - All rights reserved]

( ) -o00-( )-00o- Linda in Tennessee http://lindatn37932.tripod.com/

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at
.