Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Speaking of Watermelons & Juice

Down here near the Mexico border, they make a drink called agua
frescas which is fruit puree combined with ice water and sometimes,
sugar.
Thinking about fresh juices, & Susan's watermelon patch, I wonder
how frozen watermelon puree would keep. (I figger the flesh would
collapse) Everything keeps better with sugar, but....
I'm thinking frozen is probably best if you like this sort of thing.
I've tasted the various melons and berry flavored waters, but most
have too much sugar for me.
Thoughts?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> Down here near the Mexico border, they make a drink called agua
> frescas which is fruit puree combined with ice water and sometimes,
> sugar.
> Thinking about fresh juices, & Susan's watermelon patch, I wonder
> how frozen watermelon puree would keep. (I figger the flesh would
> collapse) Everything keeps better with sugar, but....
> I'm thinking frozen is probably best if you like this sort of thing.
> I've tasted the various melons and berry flavored waters, but most
> have too much sugar for me.
> Thoughts?
> Edrena

We've often skinned a watermelon, sliced up the meat, then froze it in
quart containers. Take one out of the freezer, put it in the
refrigerator and let it partially thaw. It tastes good, is refreshing on
a hot day, and quenches your thirst.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > Down here near the Mexico border, they make a drink called agua
> > frescas which is fruit puree combined with ice water and sometimes,
> > sugar.
> > Thinking about fresh juices, & Susan's watermelon patch, I wonder
> > how frozen watermelon puree would keep. (I figger the flesh would
> > collapse) Everything keeps better with sugar, but....
> > I'm thinking frozen is probably best if you like this sort of thing.
> > I've tasted the various melons and berry flavored waters, but most
> > have too much sugar for me.
> > Thoughts?
> > Edrena
> >

> We've often skinned a watermelon, sliced up the meat, then froze it in
> quart containers. Take one out of the freezer, put it in the
> refrigerator and let it partially thaw. It tastes good, is refreshing on
> a hot day, and quenches your thirst.
>
> George

Kinda of like an ice, then, huh? Sounds good to me. Wonder how it would work
for cantaloupe. We love cantaloupe.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> Kinda of like an ice, then, huh? Sounds good to me. Wonder how it would work
> for cantaloupe. We love cantaloupe.
> Edrena

My sister used to make melon balls and freeze them in a light syrup.
Best eaten when still slightly frozen.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> The Joneses > wrote:
> >
> > Kinda of like an ice, then, huh? Sounds good to me. Wonder how it would work
> > for cantaloupe. We love cantaloupe.
> > Edrena

> My sister used to make melon balls and freeze them in a light syrup.
> Best eaten when still slightly frozen.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Now that sounds like a good idear! I knew y'all would come thru for us.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > The Joneses > wrote:
> > >
> > > Kinda of like an ice, then, huh? Sounds good to me. Wonder how it would work
> > > for cantaloupe. We love cantaloupe.
> > > Edrena

> > My sister used to make melon balls and freeze them in a light syrup.
> > Best eaten when still slightly frozen.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > http://jamlady.eboard.com

> Now that sounds like a good idear! I knew y'all would come thru for us.
> Edrena

Ooh, ooh! Sprinkle among the melon balls some frozen blueberries.
then some heavy syrups - cane, and blueberry. Then cover with vodka.
The fruit and syrups will freeze, the vodka won't. Makes a wonderful
"sauce" when all else is only partially defrosted.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

" wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > My sister used to make melon balls and freeze them in a light syrup.
> > > Best eaten when still slightly frozen.
> > > --
> > > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > > http://jamlady.eboard.com

> > Now that sounds like a good idear! I knew y'all would come thru for us.
> > Edrena

> Ooh, ooh! Sprinkle among the melon balls some frozen blueberries.
> then some heavy syrups - cane, and blueberry. Then cover with vodka.
> The fruit and syrups will freeze, the vodka won't. Makes a wonderful
> "sauce" when all else is only partially defrosted.

The Power of the Group Will Prevail!
Edrena, not quite worshipping St. Sucrose and her sister not quite saint Fructose.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:40:07 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>The Joneses wrote:
>> Down here near the Mexico border, they make a drink called agua
>> frescas which is fruit puree combined with ice water and sometimes,
>> sugar.
>> Thinking about fresh juices, & Susan's watermelon patch, I wonder
>> how frozen watermelon puree would keep. (I figger the flesh would
>> collapse) Everything keeps better with sugar, but....
>> I'm thinking frozen is probably best if you like this sort of thing.
>> I've tasted the various melons and berry flavored waters, but most
>> have too much sugar for me.
>> Thoughts?
>> Edrena
>>

>We've often skinned a watermelon, sliced up the meat, then froze it in
>quart containers. Take one out of the freezer, put it in the
>refrigerator and let it partially thaw. It tastes good, is refreshing on
>a hot day, and quenches your thirst.
>
>George

Great idea George. I'm going to put some in the freezer. I was also
thinking about making watermelon sorbet.
--
Susan N.