Posted to rec.food.preserving
Jke Jke is offline

Default Watermelon Rind Pickle - serve with what?

Hello,

I mostly lurk here and envy you sometimes. For the huge amounts of fresh
goodness that you seem to have at your disposal AND the apparant possibility
to use your many preserves up

I got very curious about watermelon rind picle after a recent discussion
here and made a batch. It turned out much smaller than the starting amount,
so I only have 2 small jars. I finished one, using it as a spread on cream
cheese sandwiches. It was delicious. The other jar is sitting in the frdige.
I suspect I need to eat it wihin a couple of weeks (didn't BWB or
anything, )

I used this recipe, BTW. It seemed manageable as well as promising:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/pic...r/bl50729f.htm

Now I am curious: what other things does it go well with? How do you use
watermelon pickle?

TIA,
Jke

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Jke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I mostly lurk here and envy you sometimes. For the huge amounts of fresh
> goodness that you seem to have at your disposal AND the apparant possibility
> to use your many preserves up
>
> I got very curious about watermelon rind picle after a recent discussion
> here and made a batch. It turned out much smaller than the starting amount,
> so I only have 2 small jars. I finished one, using it as a spread on cream
> cheese sandwiches. It was delicious. The other jar is sitting in the frdige.
> I suspect I need to eat it wihin a couple of weeks (didn't BWB or
> anything, )
>
> I used this recipe, BTW. It seemed manageable as well as promising:
> http://southernfood.about.com/od/pic...r/bl50729f.htm
>
> Now I am curious: what other things does it go well with? How do you use
> watermelon pickle?
>
> TIA,
> Jke

Fried rice. The Japenese, Koreans, and orientals all make pickles and serve with
nearly every meal. Or so I've read. I have tried Bread & Butters with fried rice
and other dishes, wonderful pairings possible.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I mostly lurk here and envy you sometimes. For the huge amounts of fresh
> goodness that you seem to have at your disposal AND the apparant possibility
> to use your many preserves up
>
> I got very curious about watermelon rind picle after a recent discussion
> here and made a batch. It turned out much smaller than the starting amount,
> so I only have 2 small jars. I finished one, using it as a spread on cream
> cheese sandwiches. It was delicious. The other jar is sitting in the frdige.
> I suspect I need to eat it wihin a couple of weeks (didn't BWB or
> anything, )
>
> I used this recipe, BTW. It seemed manageable as well as promising:
> http://southernfood.about.com/od/pic...r/bl50729f.htm
>
> Now I am curious: what other things does it go well with? How do you use
> watermelon pickle?
>
> TIA,
> Jke

A SPREAD? Now that's mighty interesting, Jake. When I make mine I cut
chunks of rind about 3/4"x1-1/4". No spread about it.

How do I use it? To accompany meat, on the side of the plate. :-) Or
maybe a sandwich. Or a salad. Or howsomever pleases you, Sir. :-)

Did you make the full recipe, starting with four quarts of prepared
rind? That's a gallon (GOT THAT, GEORGE?) of chunks. To finish up with
two small jars is inconceivable unless you were tasting as you went and
found it to be pleasing to your palate. :-)
A spread, huh? <Barb scratches her head in amazement.>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jke" > wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I mostly lurk here and envy you sometimes. For the huge amounts of fresh
> > goodness that you seem to have at your disposal AND the apparant

possibility
> > to use your many preserves up
> >
> > I got very curious about watermelon rind picle after a recent discussion
> > here and made a batch. It turned out much smaller than the starting

amount,
> > so I only have 2 small jars. I finished one, using it as a spread on

cream
> > cheese sandwiches. It was delicious. The other jar is sitting in the

frdige.
> > I suspect I need to eat it wihin a couple of weeks (didn't BWB or
> > anything, )
> >
> > I used this recipe, BTW. It seemed manageable as well as promising:
> > http://southernfood.about.com/od/pic...r/bl50729f.htm
> >
> > Now I am curious: what other things does it go well with? How do you use
> > watermelon pickle?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Jke

> A SPREAD? Now that's mighty interesting, Jake. When I make mine I cut
> chunks of rind about 3/4"x1-1/4". No spread about it.
>
> How do I use it? To accompany meat, on the side of the plate. :-) Or
> maybe a sandwich. Or a salad. Or howsomever pleases you, Sir. :-)
>
> Did you make the full recipe, starting with four quarts of prepared
> rind? That's a gallon (GOT THAT, GEORGE?) of chunks. To finish up with
> two small jars is inconceivable unless you were tasting as you went and
> found it to be pleasing to your palate. :-)
> A spread, huh? <Barb scratches her head in amazement.>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

when Barb sent me a jar (a *small* jar....and I haven't made them myself
yet).....I stood in front of the opened fridge and ate them out of the
jar......

.....with my fingers......

;-P

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Jke Jke is offline

> Fried rice. The Japenese, Koreans, and orientals all make pickles and
> serve with
> nearly every meal. Or so I've read. I have tried Bread & Butters with
> fried rice
> and other dishes, wonderful pairings possible.
> Edrena

Thank you for that. It soudsn like a combo I would enjoy. I am familair with
having atjar (acar) with fried rice, but atjar as I know it is much less
sweet and much crunchier. it will be interesting to try this with my pickle.

Maybe I'll put some mango into fried rice to make things match even better.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Jke Jke is offline

> A SPREAD? Now that's mighty interesting, Jake. When I make mine I cut
> chunks of rind about 3/4"x1-1/4". No spread about it.

I made smaller cubes (more info below). To me, a spread was the only thing I
couddl think of. I thought of it because I had learned to love cheddar +
Branston pickle on bread in th UK. I am also used to eating preserved,
sliced ginger (the sushi kind ) on Gouda cheese sandwiches. Dutch people
also eat Gouda with gherkins, or with ginger-in-syrup (stem ginger?). Other
than that, I am pretty unfamiliar with pickles, relishes, chutneys etc.

> How do I use it? To accompany meat, on the side of the plate. :-) Or
> maybe a sandwich. Or a salad. Or howsomever pleases you, Sir. :-)
>
> Did you make the full recipe, starting with four quarts of prepared
> rind?

No, no, I didn't have enough rind for that. And more importantly, I only had
5 tiny jars (I am guessing 2-3 cups worth). So I used 2 cups of rind,
chopped more finely than the recipe suggested (it turned out that also
reduced the cooking time until transparent). However, after cooking the
pickle, only 2 jars wre filled. It had reduced in size that much.

That's a gallon (GOT THAT, GEORGE?) of chunks. To finish up with
> two small jars is inconceivable unless you were tasting as you went and
> found it to be pleasing to your palate. :-)
> A spread, huh? <Barb scratches her head in amazement.>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Jke Jke is offline

> when Barb sent me a jar (a *small* jar....and I haven't made them myself
> yet).....I stood in front of the opened fridge and ate them out of the
> jar......
>
> ....with my fingers......
>
> ;-P

I can see that. This stuff here is delcious, too, and I am sure anything
Barb makes is much better than that.

> Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> > when Barb sent me a jar (a *small* jar....and I haven't made them myself
> > yet).....I stood in front of the opened fridge and ate them out of the
> > jar......
> >
> > ....with my fingers......
> >
> > ;-P
> >

> I can see that. This stuff here is delcious, too, and I am sure anything
> Barb makes is much better than that.
>
> > Kathi

Here's one of my favorite sayings:
"The woman with a reputation as an early riser can sleep until noon."
Get it? LOL!
I am now back from the Y, the farmers market, coffee with the Church
Women in Exile, and the supermarket. I yam about to forge into Tomato
Stuff. On the docket: Tomatoes with Green Pepper, Celery, and Onion;
Chili Sauce, Tomato Juice, another batch of Corn Relish (with the deep
and sincere hope that the corn will not be tough when I'm finished with
it!! Grrrrr. <see remarks at http://web.mac.com/barbschaller>)
And I still have peaches in the fridge that should be used today. Could
be Chutney.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jke" > wrote:
> > > when Barb sent me a jar (a *small* jar....and I haven't made them myself
> > > yet).....I stood in front of the opened fridge and ate them out of the
> > > jar......
> > > ....with my fingers......
> > > ;-P
> > >

> > I can see that. This stuff here is delcious, too, and I am sure anything
> > Barb makes is much better than that.
> > > Kathi
> > >

> Here's one of my favorite sayings:
> "The woman with a reputation as an early riser can sleep until noon."
> Get it? LOL!
> I am now back from the Y, the farmers market, coffee with the Church
> Women in Exile, and the supermarket. I yam about to forge into Tomato
> Stuff. On the docket: Tomatoes with Green Pepper, Celery, and Onion;
> Chili Sauce, Tomato Juice, another batch of Corn Relish (with the deep
> and sincere hope that the corn will not be tough when I'm finished with
> it!! Grrrrr. <see remarks at http://web.mac.com/barbschaller>)
> And I still have peaches in the fridge that should be used today. Could
> be Chutney.

The retired woman can sleep anytime. Of course the floor won't get swept...
Did you ever roast some of that corn (and add a little cumin for a
southwestern style)? I saw Bobby Flay do it once on TV for a corn salad sort of
thing. Looked good to me. That way, if it's tough, you can say "oh, the roasted
is nice and chewy like that, isn't it?"
I still got peaches from last year in the freezer I need to use. No need to
look for peaches this year.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Here's one of my favorite sayings:
> > "The woman with a reputation as an early riser can sleep until noon."
> > Get it? LOL!

> The retired woman can sleep anytime. Of course the floor won't get swept...
> Did you ever roast some of that corn (and add a little cumin for a
> southwestern style)? I saw Bobby Flay do it once on TV for a corn salad sort
> of
> thing. Looked good to me. That way, if it's tough, you can say "oh, the
> roasted
> is nice and chewy like that, isn't it?"
> I still got peaches from last year in the freezer I need to use. No need to
> look for peaches this year.
> Edrena

LOL. I'm not into roasting corn. I've got "stewed tomatoes" in the BWB
at the moment, though. About another 15-20 minutes to go.
I always interpreted my quote above to mean that it doesn't matter what
you do, what matters is what people THINK you do. "-)

I'm thinkin' chili sauce next. The tomatoes I bought this morning are
pretty sweet. They should make nice juice, too. If I get there. LOL!
IBeCross-Eyed.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > > Here's one of my favorite sayings:
> > > "The woman with a reputation as an early riser can sleep until noon."
> > > Get it? LOL!

> > The retired woman can sleep anytime. Of course the floor won't get swept...
> > Did you ever roast some of that corn (and add a little cumin for a
> > southwestern style)? I saw Bobby Flay do it once on TV for a corn salad sort
> > of
> > thing. Looked good to me. That way, if it's tough, you can say "oh, the
> > roasted
> > is nice and chewy like that, isn't it?"
> > I still got peaches from last year in the freezer I need to use. No need to
> > look for peaches this year.
> > Edrena

> LOL. I'm not into roasting corn. I've got "stewed tomatoes" in the BWB
> at the moment, though. About another 15-20 minutes to go.
> I always interpreted my quote above to mean that it doesn't matter what
> you do, what matters is what people THINK you do. "-)
>
> I'm thinkin' chili sauce next. The tomatoes I bought this morning are
> pretty sweet. They should make nice juice, too. If I get there. LOL!
> IBeCross-Eyed.

Think of all the money you'll save on the few beauty products you need! All the
acid in that stuff will leave you with nice clear skin. And the vitamin C on the
inside helps keep you young. I shore hope I do as good as you when I'm 47.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:07:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > Here's one of my favorite sayings:
>> > "The woman with a reputation as an early riser can sleep until noon."
>> > Get it? LOL!

>> The retired woman can sleep anytime. Of course the floor won't get swept...
>> Did you ever roast some of that corn (and add a little cumin for a
>> southwestern style)? I saw Bobby Flay do it once on TV for a corn salad sort
>> of
>> thing. Looked good to me. That way, if it's tough, you can say "oh, the
>> roasted
>> is nice and chewy like that, isn't it?"
>> I still got peaches from last year in the freezer I need to use. No need to
>> look for peaches this year.
>> Edrena

>LOL. I'm not into roasting corn. I've got "stewed tomatoes" in the BWB
>at the moment, though. About another 15-20 minutes to go.
>I always interpreted my quote above to mean that it doesn't matter what
>you do, what matters is what people THINK you do. "-)
>
>I'm thinkin' chili sauce next. The tomatoes I bought this morning are
>pretty sweet. They should make nice juice, too. If I get there. LOL!
>IBeCross-Eyed.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Just hope it isn't
the headlight of another train (more tomatoes to be picked.) Right
now I am cooking down manicotti sauce. I am planning to BWB the
stuff. I looked at the spaghetti sauce recipe in the new Ball book
and the proportion of high to low acid in my recipe is better than
theirs. I will also add citric acid to the jars.

Tomorrow I will make more ketchup. The first batch was OK but I
thought it was a little overcooked. Tomorrow I will be using paste
tomatoes so it should be better. Then the rest of the reds will go
into more manicotti sauce.

I have some yellow tomatoes. Think I will make the tomato/basil jam
with some of them. I will use the clear balsamic vinegar so the color
doesn't get muddy. My order of MCP pectin from Amazon arrived today.
The other yellows may go into Love Apple Jelly. The skin is yellow
but the flesh is sorta pink.

Hope we do not have too many more tomatoes right now. However Pete
says there are 21 watermelons in the garden. I hope that some of them
have a thick rind. Of course with that many I can afford to pick a
couple before they are completely ripe and maybe have enough rind.

Back to work. Think it is time to jar the sauce.

--
Susan N.