Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default jam for diabetics

I have several tons of crab apples ripening nicely & would like to make jam.
I have diabetes & need to avoid sugar. Is it possible to make jam without
sugar ?

Thanks

KK

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"KK" > wrote:

> I have several tons of crab apples ripening nicely & would like to make jam.
> I have diabetes & need to avoid sugar. Is it possible to make jam without
> sugar ?
>
> Thanks
>
> KK

Are they edible off the tree? If so, you could core and cook, then put
them through a food mill and cook the resulting puree over a slow heat
for a long time until it has thickened. No added sugar, but you will
have concentrated whatever was there to start with. Season with "sweet"
spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, cardamom, ginger - whatever
floats your boat.)

Check the r.f.p. FAQ file for my Fruit Butter Primer if you've never
done it before.

http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm

http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ2.htm#A21

-Barb
--
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-27-06, For The King and His
Princess

Diabetics of r.f.c. Nexis General Cooking 37 10-11-2007 10:07 PM
Optimum Diabetics Trahozavr Diabetic 0 01-10-2007 08:24 AM
vegetarian diabetics leslie Diabetic 6 27-04-2007 08:44 PM
Who says diabetics can't eat well? Stella Diabetic 9 15-11-2006 03:12 PM
Who says diabetics can't eat well? ( On Diabetes Day ) Stella General Cooking 4 14-11-2006 08:50 PM