FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   jam for diabetics (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/97956-jam-diabetics.html)

KK[_2_] 06-08-2006 12:50 PM

jam for diabetics

I have several tons of crab apples ripening nicely & would like to make jam.
I have diabetes & need to avoid sugar. Is it possible to make jam without
sugar ?

Thanks

KK

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 06-08-2006 05:37 PM

jam for diabetics

In article >,
"KK" > wrote:

> I have several tons of crab apples ripening nicely & would like to make jam.
> I have diabetes & need to avoid sugar. Is it possible to make jam without
> sugar ?
>
> Thanks
>
> KK

Are they edible off the tree? If so, you could core and cook, then put
them through a food mill and cook the resulting puree over a slow heat
for a long time until it has thickened. No added sugar, but you will
have concentrated whatever was there to start with. Season with "sweet"
spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, cardamom, ginger - whatever
floats your boat.)

Check the r.f.p. FAQ file for my Fruit Butter Primer if you've never
done it before.

http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm

http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ2.htm#A21

-Barb