Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Blueberry Jam

Stupormarket has Michigan blues for $1.50/pint. I bought 4 pints
(Boozeberry Jam on deck, doncha know).

I was digging through several of my books looking for a spiced blueberry
jam recipe because Favorite Niece Sandy used to make it for her
grandfather and I cobbled this together from a couple different
resources:

Spiced Blueberry Jam

2 cups crushed blueberries (Exactly one pint did it!)
3-1/2 cups sugar
zest from one smallish orange
juice from the orange plus lime juice to make 1/4 cup if shy
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 - 3 oz pouch Ball liquid fruit pectin

Set four half pint jars to boiling.

Combine the blues, the sugar, the orange zest and juice, and the spices
in a large kettle. Cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar and bring to a
boil. Stir in liquid pectin, return to a hard boil and boil for one
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir occasionally
for five minutes, jar up, seal and process in a boiling water bath for
10 minutes.

Dayam! This is good enough to eat. :-) Did I mention that I don't eat
the stuff I make? :-) True. There's enough scraped from the pan for a
couple pieces of toast in the morning. It could happen.

-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
Estate
Posted to rec.food.preserving

They're on sale here, too. I am even tempted. Where does one buy
pectin? You say pouches of liquir pectin? I haven't seen it around.
I wouldn't even try boiling bwb and jars, but maybe fridge most to use
every day, and freeze a bit else.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> They're on sale here, too. I am even tempted. Where does one buy
> pectin? You say pouches of liquir pectin? I haven't seen it around.
> I wouldn't even try boiling bwb and jars, but maybe fridge most to use
> every day, and freeze a bit else.

Pectin in a supermarket, Jim. Any large (and some small) should likely
have it. Certo is most commonly found; I use the Ball products because
they are considerably cheaper than Certo/Sure€Jell. I liked that this
is a small recipe.

I whizzed the berries in the food processor because they weren't
smashing easily with my potato masher. :-) Don't chop too fine.