Preserving (rec.food.preserving) Devoted to the discussion of recipes, equipment, and techniques of food preservation. Techniques that should be discussed in this forum include canning, freezing, dehydration, pickling, smoking, salting, and distilling.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-07-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Default Fermented Pickle Disaster-G

I made a small batch of fermented pickles, pretty much like dozens of
others in the past but something went seriously wrong.

I started it about two weeks ago and tasted one after a week and it was
fine and about what I would expect after a week.

Last night I cut one and it was just a hollow tube. What seeds and
pulp left was just a thin layer on the inside of the shell. I check a
few more and they were all the same and then noted that they were all
floating.

My process is the same as my sauer kraut recipe
http://schmidling.com/kraut.htm
in which I just substitute pickles for cabbage. I have never had
anything but wonderful pickles doing this until now.

Any ideas?

js

p.s. this is a test of my isp news server. I am also posting it from
Google and would like to hear from anyone who only sees the google
version which this copy is.

js


--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-07-2006, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 69
Default Fermented Pickle Disaster-G


wrote:
I made a small batch of fermented pickles, pretty much like dozens of
others in the past but something went seriously wrong.

I started it about two weeks ago and tasted one after a week and it was
fine and about what I would expect after a week.

Last night I cut one and it was just a hollow tube. What seeds and
pulp left was just a thin layer on the inside of the shell. I check a
few more and they were all the same and then noted that they were all
floating.

My process is the same as my sauer kraut recipe
http://schmidling.com/kraut.htm
in which I just substitute pickles for cabbage. I have never had
anything but wonderful pickles doing this until now.

Any ideas?

js

p.s. this is a test of my isp news server. I am also posting it from
Google and would like to hear from anyone who only sees the google
version which this copy is.

js


--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com


Two things I have heard can cause this. You waited too long after
picking your cucs before pickling, or the temp was too high.

HTH.

b.

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 22-07-2006, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 69
Default Fermented Pickle Disaster-G


Jack Schmidling wrote:
wrote:

Two things I have heard can cause this. You waited too long after
picking your cucs before pickling, or the temp was too high.


Well, they were picked over a period of about 5 days and the AC is on
when it gets over 70F in the house.

I usually ferment them for two weeks and then refrigerate them.

I wonder if they will ferment in the beer fridge at 40F. I just started
a new batch today and maybe I will put them in after the first week.

js


--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com


I've only made pickles a few times, but 40F sounds awful cold to me. Do
you have a fermenting fridge? 50-55F sounds a bit more cozey

I've only fermented pickles for a week, then pasturize the brine and
into the fridge. Judging from your website, you are far more
experienced than I at this, but I did post my "recipe" a few days ago
in the "Picking cucumbers" thread.

And speaking of beer fridges, let me shamelessly plug mine:

http://www.misanthropia.com/blog/ind...eezerator.html

b.

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 23-07-2006, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 53
Default Fermented Pickle Disaster-G

wrote:

And speaking of beer fridges, let me shamelessly plug mine:

http://www.misanthropia.com/blog/ind...eezerator.html

A bit more orderly than mine but you really ought to look into 10 gallon
kegs as half the hassel and twice the convenience.

I have a larger one now but you can get the idea from the
"Largering Room" at http://schmidling.com/wgb.htm

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles Mark Curry Preserving 19 28-04-2019 12:04 AM
One More Fermented Pickle Question, Please Beti Preserving 0 11-09-2011 12:47 AM
Fermented Pickle Disaster Jack Schmidling Preserving 2 21-07-2006 11:28 PM
Fermented Pickle Help??? nutNhoney Preserving 2 26-08-2004 10:12 AM
Fermented Pickle Problem? The Joneses Preserving 13 22-07-2004 06:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017