Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Fermented Pickle Disaster

I made a small batch of fermented pickles, pretty much like dozens of
others in the past but something went seriously wrong.

I started it about two weeks ago and tasted one after a week and it was
fine and about what I would expect after a week.

Last night I cut one and it was just a hollow tube. What seeds and pulp
left was just a thin layer on the inside of the shell. I check a few
more and they were all the same and then noted that they were all floating.

My process is the same as my sauer kraut recipe
http://schmidling.com/kraut.htm
in which I just substitute pickles for cabbage. I have never had
anything but wonderful pickles doing this until now.

Any ideas?

js

p.s. this is a test of my isp news server. I am also posting it from
Google and would like to hear from anyone who only sees the google version.

js

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Jack Schmidling wrote:

> Last night I cut one and it was just a hollow tube. What seeds and pulp
> left was just a thin layer on the inside of the shell.

Sounds like you had old cukes.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Jack Schmidling wrote:
>
> > Last night I cut one and it was just a hollow tube. What seeds and pulp
> > left was just a thin layer on the inside of the shell.

> Sounds like you had old cukes.
>
> B/

Jack,

I've never make fermented, but I did have an experience once, several years
ago, when something similar happened (vinegar pickles)...I'm sure it was the
cukes, not the process/recipe....

Kathi