Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Making jelly less set

I made two kinds of jelly recently and both came out harder than I would
like. I may go ahead and enter one in the fair anyway -- the building with
the exhibits is not air-conditioned, so maybe the heat will soften it up a
bit. :-)

Is there anyway to reprocess jelly and make it softer? Can I add some more
juice and sugar and reheat and re-BWB, or will the extra processing disturb
the jell?

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article t>,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> I made two kinds of jelly recently and both came out harder than I would
> like. I may go ahead and enter one in the fair anyway -- the building with
> the exhibits is not air-conditioned, so maybe the heat will soften it up a
> bit. :-)
>
> Is there anyway to reprocess jelly and make it softer? Can I add some more
> juice and sugar and reheat and re-BWB, or will the extra processing disturb
> the jell?
>
> Anny

I surely would not mess with it now, Anny. Uh-uh. I can't imagine that
heating it enough to re-liquefy it could possibly do it any good. OTOH,
maybe you want to re-do ONE jar by melting it and adding a tbsp or so of
water and re-doing.

So Easy to Preserve (The U of GA's excellent publication, due out
momentarily with a new revision) says to adjust after the first batch by
using 1/4 to 1/2 cup more fruit or juice with added-pectin-recipes. For
products without added pectin, shorten the cooking time (cook to a lower
temp.) Duh. If you've got more juice, maybe you want to give that a
shot. Prolly won't help you now, though. :-(

I'm guessing here, btw.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article t>,
> "Anny Middon" > wrote:
>
>> I made two kinds of jelly recently and both came out harder than I would
>> like. I may go ahead and enter one in the fair anyway -- the building
>> with
>> the exhibits is not air-conditioned, so maybe the heat will soften it up
>> bit. :-)
>>
>> Is there anyway to reprocess jelly and make it softer? Can I add some
>> more
>> juice and sugar and reheat and re-BWB, or will the extra processing
>> disturb
>> the jell?
>>
>> Anny

> I surely would not mess with it now, Anny. Uh-uh. I can't imagine that
> heating it enough to re-liquefy it could possibly do it any good. OTOH,
> maybe you want to re-do ONE jar by melting it and adding a tbsp or so of
> water and re-doing.
>
> So Easy to Preserve (The U of GA's excellent publication, due out
> momentarily with a new revision) says to adjust after the first batch by
> using 1/4 to 1/2 cup more fruit or juice with added-pectin-recipes. For
> products without added pectin, shorten the cooking time (cook to a lower
> temp.) Duh. If you've got more juice, maybe you want to give that a
> shot. Prolly won't help you now, though. :-(
>
> I'm guessing here, btw.

Thanks, Barb. I may make another flavor for the fair or just resign myself
to getting no ribbon for my jelly.

It tastes good, but I know the fault for its stiffness is totally mine. I
combined two recipes and when I measured the juice I had I found I didn't
have enough so I reduced the sugar and pectin accordingly. With so much
screwing around it's no wonder the set isn't right.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
"Anny Middon" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article t>,
> > "Anny Middon" > wrote:
> >
> >> I made two kinds of jelly recently and both came out harder than I would
> >> like. I may go ahead and enter one in the fair anyway -- the building
> >> with
> >> the exhibits is not air-conditioned, so maybe the heat will soften it up
> >> bit. :-)
> >>
> >> Is there anyway to reprocess jelly and make it softer? Can I add some
> >> more
> >> juice and sugar and reheat and re-BWB, or will the extra processing
> >> disturb
> >> the jell?
> >>
> >> Anny

> > I surely would not mess with it now, Anny. Uh-uh. I can't imagine that
> > heating it enough to re-liquefy it could possibly do it any good. OTOH,
> > maybe you want to re-do ONE jar by melting it and adding a tbsp or so of
> > water and re-doing.
> >
> > So Easy to Preserve (The U of GA's excellent publication, due out
> > momentarily with a new revision) says to adjust after the first batch by
> > using 1/4 to 1/2 cup more fruit or juice with added-pectin-recipes. For
> > products without added pectin, shorten the cooking time (cook to a lower
> > temp.) Duh. If you've got more juice, maybe you want to give that a
> > shot. Prolly won't help you now, though. :-(
> >
> > I'm guessing here, btw.

> Thanks, Barb. I may make another flavor for the fair or just resign myself
> to getting no ribbon for my jelly.

Heck, see what the judges have to say about it, Anny. You might be
surprised. Commercially-made jams are rather stiff but most fair judges
want to see some movement or slippage in the jar when it's tipped.
Jelly is supposed to cleave and maintain the cut after.

> It tastes good, but I know the fault for its stiffness is totally mine. I
> combined two recipes and when I measured the juice I had I found I didn't
> have enough so I reduced the sugar and pectin accordingly. With so much
> screwing around it's no wonder the set isn't right.
>
> Anny

How short were you? If less than about 1/2-3/4 cup, I'd make up the
difference either with water or apple juice. If I were shy more than
that, I'd maybe consider another recipe or make only half a recipe of
that one. BTW, if you don't mind, what were you making?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
y.net...
>I made two kinds of jelly recently and both came out harder than I would
>like. I may go ahead and enter one in the fair anyway -- the building with
>the exhibits is not air-conditioned, so maybe the heat will soften it up a
>bit. :-)
>
> Is there anyway to reprocess jelly and make it softer? Can I add some
> more juice and sugar and reheat and re-BWB, or will the extra processing
> disturb the jell?
>
> Anny

Did you use Liquid or Powder Pectin? Liquid tends to yield a softer set
but also can take a week or so to reach it's full set consistency in the
jar. I prefer using Liquid for Jelly and Powered for Jam mainly so I don't
risk pectin lumps in Jelly.

Six Great State Fair of Texas entries in the jars and waiting for September.
Four entries left to do. We've been limited to ten entries again this year.

Peace and Love,
Toni ^_^

The truth is out there. Trust no one. Deny everything.

Jelly Making The Cook Preserving 5 27-04-2012 11:36 PM
Making pear jelly George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 2 15-08-2011 07:28 PM
Question for all about Making Jelly Bunny McElwee[_2_] Preserving 3 17-01-2010 11:57 PM
Making Jelly Pete Preserving 3 27-06-2004 08:36 PM
Making jelly from roselle Bob Gillespie Preserving 7 04-11-2003 08:53 AM