Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default parafin

How do you safley melt parafin for canning ? I've used a double
boiler, but then my double boiler gets messy and is a job to clean up.
Any suggestions ??

Posted to rec.food.preserving

i've gotten #10 cans and 66 oz tuna cans from our local sandwich shop. wash
& dry them well. i've melted in the can on a low gas flame w/o any probs.
the best paet is that i can throw away the melting vessels guilt free! HTH.
regards, bobdrob

"1s1kjake" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How do you safley melt parafin for canning ? I've used a double
> boiler, but then my double boiler gets messy and is a job to clean up.
> Any suggestions ??

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article .com>,
"1s1kjake" > wrote:

> How do you safley melt parafin for canning ? I've used a double
> boiler, but then my double boiler gets messy and is a job to clean up.
> Any suggestions ??

For jam and jelly? Paraffin isn't recommended for sealing jars -
current recommendations are two-piece lids and a boiling water bath for
5-10 minutes. Pretty easy to do, Jake. Check www.uga.edu/nchfp for
good info about home preserving.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/14/2006, Visit #17 to Mount
Posted to rec.food.preserving

1s1kjake wrote:

> How do you safley melt parafin for canning ? I've used a double
> boiler, but then my double boiler gets messy and is a job to clean up.
> Any suggestions ??

Paraffin wax should always be heated in a double boiler, as its a
liquid fuel that ignites easily. As someone suggested a tin can as the
inner chamber works fine.

Do you sterilise the wax before use?

NT