Brian Genisio

Default Blueberry Jam is Blueberry soup!!!

Hi all,

I have been canning jams for a year with good success. Recently, I got
a pressure canner. I made blueberry jam with it, and unfortunately, the
gel never set. Here is what I did, where did I go wrong? The recipe?
The process? Can I fix it?

I made the jam with the following recipe:

10 pints blueberries
4 cups sugar
5 lemons (juice only)
1 cup water
3 packages of "No-Sugar-Needed" Pectin
3 tablespoons of butter (to control foaming)

I boiled it for about 20 minutes, put it in the jars, and then put it in
the processor. I processed at 15 lbs of boiling pressure for 30 minutes.

24 hours later, soup. Can I fix this? Is it as simple as putting it
all back in a pot, and adding more pectin?

Thanks,
Brian

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Brian Genisio
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been canning jams for a year with good success. Recently, I got
> a pressure canner. I made blueberry jam with it, and unfortunately, the
> gel never set. Here is what I did, where did I go wrong? The recipe?
> The process? Can I fix it?
>
> I made the jam with the following recipe:
>
> 10 pints blueberries
> 4 cups sugar
> 5 lemons (juice only)
> 1 cup water
> 3 packages of "No-Sugar-Needed" Pectin
> 3 tablespoons of butter (to control foaming)
>
> I boiled it for about 20 minutes, put it in the jars, and then put it in
> the processor. I processed at 15 lbs of boiling pressure for 30 minutes.
>
> 24 hours later, soup. Can I fix this? Is it as simple as putting it
> all back in a pot, and adding more pectin?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

You've been doing jam for a year with good success. In a boiling water
bath, I'll bet.

Right off the top, I'm guessing you didn't follow the instructions
provided with the pectin. I'm not sure what Pomona's Universal Pectin
has to say about quantities and measures, but I think the Ball no-sugar
stuff has something to say about maximum batch size.

What in the name of St. Pectina of Jella possessed you to *pressure can*
the stuff? Inquiring Mind wants to know.

Too much cooking will shoot the pectin (not sure I can find the citation
for it, though). Rescue it? Ida Know.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/19/04.
Only 6 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
Jarkat2002

> Can I fix it?

Call it ice cream topping!
Give it as a gift w/ an ice cream scoop and a cert. for a gal. of ice cream.

Well, it worked for my Strawberry 'jam' anyway

~Kat

"The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese."
nutNhoney

Brian Genisio wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been canning jams for a year with good success. Recently, I got
> a pressure canner. I made blueberry jam with it, and unfortunately, the
> gel never set. Here is what I did, where did I go wrong? The recipe?
> The process? Can I fix it?
>
> I made the jam with the following recipe:
>
> 10 pints blueberries
> 4 cups sugar
> 5 lemons (juice only)
> 1 cup water
> 3 packages of "No-Sugar-Needed" Pectin
> 3 tablespoons of butter (to control foaming)
>
> I boiled it for about 20 minutes, put it in the jars, and then put it in
> the processor. I processed at 15 lbs of boiling pressure for 30 minutes.
>
> 24 hours later, soup. Can I fix this? Is it as simple as putting it
> all back in a pot, and adding more pectin?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Congrats on you new purchase. I recently purchased one and really enjoy
it. You should have used a boiling water bath to process the jam.
Pressure canners are used for low acid foods like beans, carrots, corn,
meats, and fish.
Brian Genisio

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Brian Genisio
> > wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have been canning jams for a year with good success. Recently, I got
>>a pressure canner. I made blueberry jam with it, and unfortunately, the
>>gel never set. Here is what I did, where did I go wrong? The recipe?
>>The process? Can I fix it?
>>
>>I made the jam with the following recipe:
>>
>>10 pints blueberries
>>4 cups sugar
>>5 lemons (juice only)
>>1 cup water
>>3 packages of "No-Sugar-Needed" Pectin
>>3 tablespoons of butter (to control foaming)
>>
>>I boiled it for about 20 minutes, put it in the jars, and then put it in
>>the processor. I processed at 15 lbs of boiling pressure for 30 minutes.
>>
>>24 hours later, soup. Can I fix this? Is it as simple as putting it
>>all back in a pot, and adding more pectin?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Brian

> You've been doing jam for a year with good success. In a boiling water
> bath, I'll bet.
>
> Right off the top, I'm guessing you didn't follow the instructions
> provided with the pectin. I'm not sure what Pomona's Universal Pectin
> has to say about quantities and measures, but I think the Ball no-sugar
> stuff has something to say about maximum batch size.
>
> What in the name of St. Pectina of Jella possessed you to *pressure can*
> the stuff? Inquiring Mind wants to know.
>
> Too much cooking will shoot the pectin (not sure I can find the citation
> for it, though). Rescue it? Ida Know.

I got it as a hand-me-down from my wife's grandmother (no longer with
us), and apparently that is what she used for 20 some years. I thought
I would give it a try... especially since it produces a lot less
released heat in the kitchen than the boiling method... Canning with the
boiling pot is really hot!

So, anyways, I looked on the net for directions using a pressure canner,
and it told me to use 15 lbs for 30 minutes.

From your response, I am assuming you do not recommend a pressure
canner? Should I just stick to the boiling method? I know that 15 lbs
of pressure brings the temperature up past 235 degrees F, so if the
pectin can be destroyed by cooking, as you suggest, I suppose it may
have happened in this case.

Since I'd really rather have it be jam, than ice cream sauce, I think I
will try to cook it again, using more pectin, and smaller batches. I
will report back soon.

Brian

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Brian Genisio
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, Brian Genisio
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I have been canning jams for a year with good success. Recently, I
> >>got a pressure canner. I made blueberry jam with it, and
> >>unfortunately, the gel never set. Here is what I did, where did I
> >>go wrong? The recipe? The process? Can I fix it?
> >>
> >>I made the jam with the following recipe:
> >>
> >>10 pints blueberries 4 cups sugar 5 lemons (juice only) 1 cup water
> >>3 packages of "No-Sugar-Needed" Pectin 3 tablespoons of butter (to
> >>control foaming)
> >>
> >>I boiled it for about 20 minutes, put it in the jars, and then put
> >>it in the processor. I processed at 15 lbs of boiling pressure for
> >>30 minutes.
> >>
> >>24 hours later, soup. Can I fix this? Is it as simple as putting
> >>it all back in a pot, and adding more pectin?
> >>
> >>Thanks, Brian

> > You've been doing jam for a year with good success. In a boiling
> > water bath, I'll bet.
> >
> > Right off the top, I'm guessing you didn't follow the instructions
> > provided with the pectin. I'm not sure what Pomona's Universal
> > Pectin has to say about quantities and measures, but I think the
> > Ball no-sugar stuff has something to say about maximum batch size.
> >
> > What in the name of St. Pectina of Jella possessed you to *pressure
> > can* the stuff? Inquiring Mind wants to know.
> >
> > Too much cooking will shoot the pectin (not sure I can find the
> > citation for it, though). Rescue it? Ida Know.

> I got it as a hand-me-down from my wife's grandmother (no longer with
> us), and apparently that is what she used for 20 some years. I
> thought I would give it a try... especially since it produces a lot
> less released heat in the kitchen than the boiling method... Canning
> with the boiling pot is really hot!

How well we know it. :-/ My mom used to say that you have to do the
canning when the produce is ready, not when you're ready. I'm fortunate
in that we're enjoying a cool spell right now -- it's making my jamming
a real pleasure.

> So, anyways, I looked on the net for directions using a pressure
> canner, and it told me to use 15 lbs for 30 minutes.

Hmm. I'm curious - where'd you get the information about using a
pressure canner for jams? Do you remember the site? URL?

Here's a link to the NCHFP (National Center for Home Food Preservation)
info about processing jam - there's mention of too much heat/time
affecting the set of a gel:

<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_processing_j_j.pdf>

> From your response, I am assuming you do not recommend a pressure
> canner?

Correct; not for jam.

Should I just stick to the boiling method?

Assume you mean "boiling water bath" method. For jams and sweet
spreads, yes.

> I know that 15
> lbs of pressure brings the temperature up past 235 degrees F, so if
> the pectin can be destroyed by cooking, as you suggest, I suppose it
> may have happened in this case.

> Since I'd really rather have it be jam, than ice cream sauce, I think
> I will try to cook it again, using more pectin, and smaller batches.
> I will report back soon.

> Brian

Good luck with a re-make, Brian - I'll be watching to see how it turns
out for you.

Pressure canning is for low-acid products - vegetables, meats, and
combinations thereof. Fruits don't need it and texture will suffer if
processed (think overcooked) too long. Pressure canning times for peach
parts are 10 minutes at 5-10# psi (depending on altitude and type of
pressure gauge)

I highly recommend the NCHFP site for safe preserving information. And
my personal favorite text is the Ball Blue Book (often abbreviated as
BBB here) - it's easy to read and understand, and is a reliable source
for processing information.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/19/04.
Only 6 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
big." Good gin and cheap chocolate preferred. Or is it cheap
gin and good chocolate? I can never remember. . . .A diamond bracelet
would be nice. . .
Dwayne

We gave some "runny" blueberry jam to my brother and didn't tell him what it
was. He has always bragged on how delicious that blueberry syrup was that
we gave him. It is all in a name.

Dwayne

"nutNhoney" > wrote in message
> Brian Genisio wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been canning jams for a year with good success. Recently, I got
> > a pressure canner. I made blueberry jam with it, and unfortunately, the
> > gel never set. Here is what I did, where did I go wrong? The recipe?
> > The process? Can I fix it?
> >
> > I made the jam with the following recipe:
> >
> > 10 pints blueberries
> > 4 cups sugar
> > 5 lemons (juice only)
> > 1 cup water
> > 3 packages of "No-Sugar-Needed" Pectin
> > 3 tablespoons of butter (to control foaming)
> >
> > I boiled it for about 20 minutes, put it in the jars, and then put it in
> > the processor. I processed at 15 lbs of boiling pressure for 30

minutes.

> > 24 hours later, soup. Can I fix this? Is it as simple as putting it
> > all back in a pot, and adding more pectin?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> Congrats on you new purchase. I recently purchased one and really enjoy
> it. You should have used a boiling water bath to process the jam.
> Pressure canners are used for low acid foods like beans, carrots, corn,
> meats, and fish.

Pennyaline

"Dwayne" wrote:
> We gave some "runny" blueberry jam to my brother and didn't tell him what

it
> was. He has always bragged on how delicious that blueberry syrup was that
> we gave him. It is all in a name.

I have never made blueberry jam successfully. It always thins out and goes
runny, no matter what I do. The same thing happens if I try to cook up jelly
with them.

<maybe we should just make wine with the little *******s>

Blanche Nonken

"Pennyaline" > wrote:

> "Dwayne" wrote:
> > We gave some "runny" blueberry jam to my brother and didn't tell him what

> it
> > was. He has always bragged on how delicious that blueberry syrup was that
> > we gave him. It is all in a name.

> I have never made blueberry jam successfully. It always thins out and goes
> runny, no matter what I do. The same thing happens if I try to cook up jelly
> with them.
>
> <maybe we should just make wine with the little *******s>

I've done it successfully with powdered pectin - it sets, but oozes a
bit. Nobody in the family complains.

Blueberry pie Gary General Cooking 15 29-07-2013 10:02 PM
Blueberry Jam W. Baker Diabetic 7 27-07-2013 03:02 PM
Woo Hoo - Blueberry Pie Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 1 17-01-2007 04:47 PM
Blueberry Jam Melba's Jammin' Preserving 2 22-07-2006 04:24 AM
Blueberry Soup from today's Newspaper Margaret Suran General Cooking 4 18-07-2005 04:51 AM