Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default REC Mixed Pickling Spice

From _Joy of Pickling_, Linda Ziedrich, The Harvard Common Press, c.
1998
[I use this as seafood boil, cucumber (&etc.) pickle, and corned beef.
As always, use the best/freshest herbs/spices you can get-E]
[I reorganized the list alphabetically cause I keep getting confused.
Blond thang.-E]
[Do not automatically double the chiles & mustard when doubling the
recipe!-E]

Mixed Pickling Spice
makes about 1/2 cup
allspice, 2 teaspoons whole
bay leaves, 6, torn into small pieces
black peppercorns, 1 tablespoon
chile peppers, 6 small dried, cut into small pieces
cinnamon stick, one 4-inch, broken up
cloves, 1 teaspoon whole
coriander seeds, 2 teaspoons whole
dill seeds, 1 tablespoon
fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon
fenugreek seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
mace blades (unground), 1/2 teaspoon, or small pieces nutmeg
yellow mustard seeds, 1 tablespoon

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 06:25:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
Joneses?

> From _Joy of Pickling_, Linda Ziedrich, The Harvard Common Press, c.
> 1998
> [I use this as seafood boil, cucumber (&etc.) pickle, and corned beef.
> As always, use the best/freshest herbs/spices you can get-E]
> [I reorganized the list alphabetically cause I keep getting confused.
> Blond thang.-E]
> [Do not automatically double the chiles & mustard when doubling the
> recipe!-E]
>
> Mixed Pickling Spice
> makes about 1/2 cup
> allspice, 2 teaspoons whole
> bay leaves, 6, torn into small pieces
> black peppercorns, 1 tablespoon
> chile peppers, 6 small dried, cut into small pieces
> cinnamon stick, one 4-inch, broken up
> cloves, 1 teaspoon whole
> coriander seeds, 2 teaspoons whole
> dill seeds, 1 tablespoon
> fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon
> fenugreek seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
> mace blades (unground), 1/2 teaspoon, or small pieces nutmeg
> yellow mustard seeds, 1 tablespoon

I'm glad you posted this, Edrena. My Joy of Pickling is packed away until
after we move, and I want to do some pickles soon.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> From _Joy of Pickling_, Linda Ziedrich, The Harvard Common Press, c.
> 1998
> [I use this as seafood boil, cucumber (&etc.) pickle, and corned beef.
> As always, use the best/freshest herbs/spices you can get-E]
> [I reorganized the list alphabetically cause I keep getting confused.
> Blond thang.-E]
> [Do not automatically double the chiles & mustard when doubling the
> recipe!-E]
>
> Mixed Pickling Spice
> makes about 1/2 cup
> allspice, 2 teaspoons whole
> bay leaves, 6, torn into small pieces
> black peppercorns, 1 tablespoon
> chile peppers, 6 small dried, cut into small pieces
> cinnamon stick, one 4-inch, broken up
> cloves, 1 teaspoon whole
> coriander seeds, 2 teaspoons whole
> dill seeds, 1 tablespoon
> fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon
> fenugreek seeds, 1/2 teaspoon
> mace blades (unground), 1/2 teaspoon, or small pieces nutmeg
> yellow mustard seeds, 1 tablespoon

Thanks Edrena!

Kathi

Pickling day George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 0 02-06-2012 03:23 PM
PICKLING TOMATOES Eddie G[_2_] Preserving 4 25-10-2008 11:03 PM
Best spice? Was: Best Online Spice Shop Andy[_2_] General Cooking 27 12-10-2008 04:33 PM
"mixed spice" Thomas General Cooking 14 15-12-2005 10:12 AM
Mixed spice: "gia vi nau pho dac biet" KR Asian Cooking 1 28-10-2004 12:05 PM