William R. Watt

Default material for jelly bag?

can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
the recommendations.
um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?

thank you.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
pickle

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message
> can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
> I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
> the recommendations.
> um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?
>
> thank you.
>

> Say Hey !!

Use Irish linen. Ball Bluebook products sell a nice jelly bag w/stand. Try
it you'll like it.

George Shirley

pickle wrote:
> "William R. Watt" > wrote in message
>
>>can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
>>I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
>>the recommendations.
>>um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?
>>
>>thank you.
>>

>>Say Hey !!

> Use Irish linen. Ball Bluebook products sell a nice jelly bag w/stand. Try
> it you'll like it.

I certainly like mine and have used it numerous times in the last four
years. Rinse it out by hand, toss it in the washing machine with the
white clothes, add a little bleach and it's back to pristine white again.

George

George Shirley

I was in Sam's Club the other day and they had sugar in 25 and 50 lb
cloth bags. Hadn't thought of bags like that in years. Of course I have
no use for 25 lbs of sugar much less 50 lbs.

George

(William R. Watt) wrote:

>>>I line a colander with about 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth. Or one old
>>>cotton dishtowel. I've never used the bags that hang from a stand.

>>Our last child was born nearly 41 years ago but we still have some of
>>his cloth diapers. I use them folded in a colander when I need to drain
>>something. Of course they've been washed about 300 times. Also bought
>>half a bolt of cheesecloth for a couple of bucks at a garage sale and
>>use it. Depends on the volume of the job I'm doing at the time. Most any
>>clean cloth will do to strain jelly juices through.
>>
>>George

MOM PEAGRAM

Depending on the price it would be a good deal for us. My hubby makes his
own beer.

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> I was in Sam's Club the other day and they had sugar in 25 and 50 lb
> cloth bags. Hadn't thought of bags like that in years. Of course I have
> no use for 25 lbs of sugar much less 50 lbs.
>
> George
>
> MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
> > Don't know if they are still available as I've had mine since the 60's.
> > Made from recycled sugar bags.
> >
> > "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> > news > >

> >>Our last child was born nearly 41 years ago but we still have some of
> >>his cloth diapers. I use them folded in a colander when I need to drain
> >>something. Of course they've been washed about 300 times. Also bought
> >>half a bolt of cheesecloth for a couple of bucks at a garage sale and
> >>use it. Depends on the volume of the job I'm doing at the time. Most any
> >>clean cloth will do to strain jelly juices through.
> >>
> >>George

William R. Watt

thank you for the replies.

the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

I have not used a collander or similar because I like the way the juice
drips off the bottom of a bag right into a collecting jar.

I buy sugar for wine and jelly at a wholesale cash and carry in a large
paper bag like flour at quite a discount from the price at the
supermarket. (I buy rolled oats in 25 kg bags there at quite a savings as
well. One bag lasts me about 8 months.) I make jelly without buying pectin
but I did not know you could make it without buying sugar.

we are in the middle of spring rummage sale season in our area. I am
looking for jelly making paraphenalia, having purchased 2 large $1 pots
and a 50 cent candy thermometer so far. jelly jars cost 25 cents each at
rummage sales here. I have an adequate supply from the fall season rummage
sales.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Bob (this one)

William R. Watt wrote:

> thank you for the replies.
>
> the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
> became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
> word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
> fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
> which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

I use muslin bags sewed into long (18 inches) cone shapes with tabs
sewed on top, like long pastry bags but with no hole in the pointed
end. Pour in the goodies and hang from the pot rack in the kitchen to
drizzle into a bucket on the table beneath.

Wash in the machine with detergent and a little bleach. Doesn't get
all the color out, but who cares. Rinse, rinse and rinse again.

Pastorio

Mutti Pie

I use pillow cases found at a second hand store (6 for $1). They make
great homescool science collection bags later.