anthony

Default home made sausages

Hi There,
Why is my home made sausages to dry when cooked not like the
butcher's.
My mix contain's 70% meat and 30% fat also 3% weath flour and 10%
water,what am I doing wrong? Could some one help me please.
Regards
Anthony.
KenCo

anthony wrote:
> Hi There,
> Why is my home made sausages to dry when cooked not like the
> butcher's.
> My mix contain's 70% meat and 30% fat also 3% weath flour and 10%
> water,what am I doing wrong? Could some one help me please.
> Regards
> Anthony.

try using lean "pork butts", that meat has the right
proportions of fat and is a bit more tender.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
SCUBApix

"anthony" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi There,
> Why is my home made sausages to dry when cooked not like the
> butcher's.
> My mix contain's 70% meat and 30% fat also 3% weath flour and 10%
> water,what am I doing wrong? Could some one help me please.
> Regards
> Anthony.

Let's see: 70% + 30% + 3% + 10% = 113% So to start, can you give what the
real percentages are?

Ignoring the fact that you can't have your percents add to more than 100%,
the general mix seems reasonable, except for the wheat flour. That could be
absorbing moisture and, when cooked, it wouldn't release it. Where did you
get the recipe?

Mark Preston

<snip>

My take is that you need to keep your meats, liquids, and equipment
colder. It seems to me that you are having what the sausage makers
call "smear" or fat smear. The fat, going into the casing at too warm
a temperature, "leaks" out of the casing when cooked, causing a "dry"
taste or texture.

What exactly is 'home made'? A Moose in Love General Cooking 51 02-03-2014 11:23 PM
Home made demijohns Space_Cowby Winemaking 8 23-01-2013 07:12 PM
Home made sausage A Moose in Love General Cooking 10 24-12-2010 02:13 AM
Home Made Pop? Gregor Winemaking 11 06-02-2005 03:47 AM
Home made pretzels TINY General Cooking 4 22-01-2005 05:51 AM