Ol' Hippie

Default Peppers

I would like to know another method of putting up peppers for use in future
recipies. Specifically I liked the thread about the Jalapeno peppers. For
the peppers to be shelf stable at least 4.0 ph will 50/50 water & vinegar
work? No cooking?

--
Bruce-n-Gold Beach
Ol' Hippie®

zxcvbob

Ol' Hippie wrote:
> I would like to know another method of putting up peppers for use in future
> recipies. Specifically I liked the thread about the Jalapeno peppers. For
> the peppers to be shelf stable at least 4.0 ph will 50/50 water & vinegar
> work? No cooking?

I think you need to at least blanch them. Pour boiling vinegar over them
in the jars. I would then process in 185 degree water for 30 minutes.

-Bob
Ol' Hippie

what if I just bring the vinegar to a boil with the peppers in it for, say,
15 minutes or less then add to hot sterile bottles and cap?

zxcvbob

Ol' Hippie wrote:

> what if I just bring the vinegar to a boil with the peppers in it for, say,
> 15 minutes or less then add to hot sterile bottles and cap?

You'll have cooked peppers. Probably very tasty -- and soft.

-Bob

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:

> Ol' Hippie wrote:
>
>> I would like to know another method of putting up peppers for use in
>> future
>> recipies. Specifically I liked the thread about the Jalapeno peppers. For
>> the peppers to be shelf stable at least 4.0 ph will 50/50 water & vinegar
>> work? No cooking?
>>

> I think you need to at least blanch them. Pour boiling vinegar over
> them in the jars. I would then process in 185 degree water for 30 minutes.
>
> -Bob

I think you should also put a couple of slits in the wall of each pepper
to allow the mixture to penetrate inside.

George

Loki

il Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:02:51 -0600, zxcvbob ha scritto:

> Ol' Hippie wrote:
> > I would like to know another method of putting up peppers for use in future
> > recipies. Specifically I liked the thread about the Jalapeno peppers. For
> > the peppers to be shelf stable at least 4.0 ph will 50/50 water & vinegar
> > work? No cooking?
> >

> I think you need to at least blanch them. Pour boiling vinegar over them
> in the jars. I would then process in 185 degree water for 30 minutes.
>
> -Bob

What's this processing for 30 minutes. Isn't that a tad overcooked?
Overkill even.
--
Cheers,

Loki

il Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:36:38 -0800, "Ol' Hippie" ha scritto:

> what if I just bring the vinegar to a boil with the peppers in it for, say,
> 15 minutes or less then add to hot sterile bottles and cap?

One of my recipes mentions that boiling vinegar for too long will
reduce the acidity of it. To just bring it to the boil really.
--
Cheers,

Loki

il Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:40:02 -0600, George Shirley ha scritto:

> > I think you need to at least blanch them. Pour boiling vinegar over
> > them in the jars. I would then process in 185 degree water for 30 minutes.
> >
> > -Bob

> I think you should also put a couple of slits in the wall of each pepper
> to allow the mixture to penetrate inside.
>
> George

Also to cut off the very tip where the blossom was attached as it
contains enzymes that affect keeping.

--
Cheers,

David J. Braunegg

I thought that cutting off the blossom end was only for cucumber pickles.

Dave

"Loki" > wrote in message

> Also to cut off the very tip where the blossom was attached as it
> contains enzymes that affect keeping.

George Shirley

I've never cut off the blossom end and have had no problems with the
tons of chiles I've put up.

George

David J. Braunegg wrote:

> I thought that cutting off the blossom end was only for cucumber pickles.
>
> Dave
>
> "Loki" > wrote in message
>
>>Also to cut off the very tip where the blossom was attached as it
>>contains enzymes that affect keeping.

Loki

il Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:36:45 -0600, zxcvbob ha scritto:

> Loki wrote:
>
> > il Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:02:51 -0600, zxcvbob ha scritto:

> >>I think you need to at least blanch them. Pour boiling vinegar over them
> >>in the jars. I would then process in 185 degree water for 30 minutes.
> >>
> >>-Bob

> > What's this processing for 30 minutes. Isn't that a tad overcooked?
> > Overkill even.

> Notice I said 185 degrees, not boiling.
>
> Bob

100 is boiling in my book :-) celsius mate.

--
Cheers,

Loki

il Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:43:26 -0500, "David J. Braunegg" ha scritto:

> I thought that cutting off the blossom end was only for cucumber pickles.

An enzyme is an enzyme I guess. But it has been mentioned for
peppers, because I wouldn't bother reading about cucumbers. Maybe it
was for pepper jelly only.

--
Cheers,

Marinated in oil, salt, chili peppers, and crushed red peppers maxine in ri General Cooking 5 13-08-2010 03:46 AM
Peppers The Cook Preserving 0 31-10-2007 02:20 PM
peppers? [email protected] General Cooking 14 29-09-2004 04:58 AM
peppers BigDog Barbecue 0 02-08-2004 12:04 AM