Wayne Boatwright

Default Dilly Beans

For some reason, talk of pickling cauliflower made me think of the Dilly
Beans my mom and I used to make. We only made a pint or two at a time,
preferring them fresher than just sitting on the pantry shelf for months,
so the quantities are per pint jar.

Hot Spicy Dilly Beans

fresh slender green beans
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon dill seed
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seed
1 clove garlic, sliced
~1 cup 5% distilled white vinegar

Sterilize pint jars and allow boiling water to sit in jars until ready to
pack.

Wash beans, trim the ends, and cut to fit pint jar, allowing 1/2-inch
headspace. Toss beans into rapidly boiling water and boil 1-1/2 minutes.
Drain and refresh in ice water until completely cold.

To each pint jar add the above quantites of salt, sugar, dill seed, dill
weed, crushed red pepper, and mustard seed.

Pack beans snugly into jars. Bring vinegar to a rapid boil and pour over
beans to within 1/4-inch of rim, making sure that all beans are covered
with vinegar. Cap jars and allow to cool. Shake jars to insure that
salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Store in refrigerator, allowing
at last two weeks for flavor to develop before eating.

Note: If you wish to can these, only blanch the beans briefly, less than
a minute. Follow above procedure. Secure sterilized lids and rings, and
process in BWB for 10 minutes.

I have also done the same with fresh asparagus.

Now, off to the kitchen to pickle some of those green beans I bought
yesterday!

Wayne
The Joneses

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> For some reason, talk of pickling cauliflower made me think of the Dilly
> Beans my mom and I used to make.

> Hot Spicy Dilly Beans
>
> fresh slender green beans
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
> 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
> 1 teaspoon dill seed
> 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
> 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seed
> 1 clove garlic, sliced
> ~1 cup 5% distilled white vinegar
>
> (snipped stuff)

Y'know just for pickles' sake, I've found that about a pound of veggies make
a quart of pickles. This is real approximation, but a nice place to start.
I made plain dilly beans last year with Mint, instead of dill. It was verrry
interresting, kinda perky & just a hint of chile. If it got any worse would
taste like cough syrup, but just gentle flavors was pretty good.
Edrena

Wayne Boatwright

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> For some reason, talk of pickling cauliflower made me think of the
>> Dilly Beans my mom and I used to make.

>> Hot Spicy Dilly Beans
>>
>> fresh slender green beans
>> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
>> 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
>> 1 teaspoon dill seed
>> 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
>> 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
>> 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seed
>> 1 clove garlic, sliced
>> ~1 cup 5% distilled white vinegar
>>
>> (snipped stuff)

> Y'know just for pickles' sake, I've found that about a pound of
> veggies make a quart of pickles. This is real approximation, but a
> nice place to start. I made plain dilly beans last year with Mint,
> instead of dill. It was verrry interresting, kinda perky & just a
> hint of chile. If it got any worse would taste like cough syrup, but
> just gentle flavors was pretty good. Edrena

I really like the mint idea! If I hadn't already finished making mine
today, I'd have tried it. Will do next time.

Thanks,
Wayne

Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 2 08-09-2012 02:41 AM
Dilly beans George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 7 26-06-2012 05:08 PM
Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 1 06-08-2011 02:42 PM
Dilly beans George Shirley Preserving 14 01-03-2010 04:31 PM
Dilly beans Dwayne Preserving 15 25-07-2004 05:19 PM