Default Pressure canner vs cooker - what's the diff?

I have 2 Presto 6 qt cookers - 1 is alum, other is S/S. Both have
weights (not gauges).

Can I use them to can pints of pork - std is 75 min at 10 pounds
according to
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/...es_chunks.html

Kacey Barriss

Canners have a variable pressure which is controllable. Cookers,
generally come with a 15psi non-regulatable preset.

Canners can always be used to cook a meal; but, cookers cannot be used
for pressure canning.

Kacey

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Craig Watts

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:32:16 -0800, A > wrote:

>I have 2 Presto 6 qt cookers - 1 is alum, other is S/S. Both have
>weights (not gauges).
>
>Can I use them to can pints of pork - std is 75 min at 10 pounds
>according to
>http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/...es_chunks.html

From what I understand the pressure canners have a heavier mass of
weight/steel/aluminum. The mass takes longer to heat up and cool down.
The cook times posted assume a slower cool down time and that is used
to calculate the times to process.

I've just always heard not to do it with a pressure cooker.

Craig

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5344.html

HTH
Michael Horowitz

A > wrote:

>I have 2 Presto 6 qt cookers - 1 is alum, other is S/S. Both have
>weights (not gauges).
>
>Can I use them to can pints of pork - std is 75 min at 10 pounds
>according to
>http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/...es_chunks.html

I just went thru the same quandry; as I recall, I GOOGLED this group
and found a great answer from several years ago (sorry, I forgot what
it was, but I recall it was quite logical)

But here is what convinced me to switch - I vented, put on the weight,
got it rocking gently, timed the cooking, took it off the heat and
waited for the pressure valve to fall down. After 1 1/2 hour I gave it
a tap with a spoon. No motion. Shook the cooker to shift the jars. The
valve fell down. The height of the jar was such that it kept the
pressure valve up; the jar must have shifted (maybe when I moved it
off the heat) .
I'll keep my eye open for that other article.- Mike