Ken Stepien

Default Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid) - looking for...

Hi all,
On a quest for and need Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid), a substitute or
opinion for the recipe below.
The problem is I don't know where to begin... drugstore, hardware store.
Most neighbors have no idea - so I'll ask my neighbors online.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ken
Brooklyn, New York

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decadent Banana Split Conserve

Recipe By : Jeanne, CCC
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Conserves

4 cups thoroughly mashed bananas
5 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 package liquid pectin -- (3 ounce)
3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
2 tablespoons light rum or rum extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

In a medium stockpot, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and Fruit
Fresh. Gradually add in the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Over medium
heat, heat the mixture stirring constantly, until the sugar is
dissolved.
Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling

boil, stirring constantly so it will not scorch. Stir in the liquid
pectin
and return to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute, stirring
constantly.
Skim off any foam. Remove the stockpot from the heat, stir in the
walnuts
and the rum. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
Wipe
rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes for
half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. Yields 9 to 10 half-pints.

zxcvbob

Vitamin C tablets. Grind up a 500 mg tablet and mix with a little
sugar. But I don't think your recipe really needs ascorbic acid because
of all the lemon juice. (I'd substitute fresh lime juice)

Best regards,
Bob

Ken Stepien wrote:
> Hi all,
> On a quest for and need Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid), a substitute or
> opinion for the recipe below.
> The problem is I don't know where to begin... drugstore, hardware store.
> Most neighbors have no idea - so I'll ask my neighbors online.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Ken
> Brooklyn, New York
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Decadent Banana Split Conserve
>
> Recipe By : Jeanne, CCC
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Conserves

> 4 cups thoroughly mashed bananas
> 5 cups granulated sugar
> 2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
> 1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
> 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
> 1 package liquid pectin -- (3 ounce)
> 3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
> 2 tablespoons light rum or rum extract
> 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
>
> In a medium stockpot, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and Fruit
> Fresh. Gradually add in the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Over medium
> heat, heat the mixture stirring constantly, until the sugar is
> dissolved.
> Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling
>
> boil, stirring constantly so it will not scorch. Stir in the liquid
> pectin
> and return to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute, stirring
> constantly.
> Skim off any foam. Remove the stockpot from the heat, stir in the
> walnuts
> and the rum. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
> Wipe
> rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes for
> half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. Yields 9 to 10 half-pints.

The Cook

Ken Stepien > wrote:

>Hi all,
>On a quest for and need Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid), a substitute or
>opinion for the recipe below.
>The problem is I don't know where to begin... drugstore, hardware store.
>Most neighbors have no idea - so I'll ask my neighbors online.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Ken
>Brooklyn, New York
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Decadent Banana Split Conserve
>
>Recipe By : Jeanne, CCC
>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Conserves
>
>Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>4 cups thoroughly mashed bananas
>5 cups granulated sugar
>2/3 cup bottled lemon juice
>1 teaspoon Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid)
>1 tablespoon unsalted butter
>1 package liquid pectin -- (3 ounce)
>3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
>2 tablespoons light rum or rum extract
>1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
>
>In a medium stockpot, combine the mashed bananas, lemon juice and Fruit
>Fresh. Gradually add in the sugar, cocoa powder and butter. Over medium
>heat, heat the mixture stirring constantly, until the sugar is
>dissolved.
>Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a full rolling
>
>boil, stirring constantly so it will not scorch. Stir in the liquid
>pectin
>and return to a full rolling boil for 1 more minute, stirring
>constantly.
>Skim off any foam. Remove the stockpot from the heat, stir in the
>walnuts
>and the rum. Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
>Wipe
>rims. Cap and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes for
>half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. Yields 9 to 10 half-pints.

I usually find Fruit Fresh in the grocery store.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Wayne Boatwright

Ken Stepien > wrote in
:

> Hi all,
> On a quest for and need Fruit Fresh (absorbic acid), a substitute or
> opinion for the recipe below.
> The problem is I don't know where to begin... drugstore, hardware
> store. Most neighbors have no idea - so I'll ask my neighbors online.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Ken
> Brooklyn, New York

I once lived for a time in NYC and, surprisingly, while one can find
almost anything there, some things remain elusive.

In most other areas I've lived I could always find Fruit Fresh in the
supermarket, usually in the same area where they stock Sure-Jel and
other canning items.

Most good "old-fashioned" hardware stores that have a section devoted to
canning supplies (jars, canning vessels, etc.) also carry Fruit Fresh
and pectin.

Wayne