rdoiron

Default Easy homemade sauerkraut

Sauerkraut, choucroute, kimchi...all the world loves pickled cabbage
and you can too.

Kitchen Gardeners International has just posted a new page on the
pleasures of homemade sauerkraut. Check it out:
http://www.kitchengardeners.org/sauerkraut.html
Ken Anderson

"rdoiron" > wrote in message
om...
> Sauerkraut, choucroute, kimchi...all the world loves pickled cabbage
> and you can too.
>
> Kitchen Gardeners International has just posted a new page on the
> pleasures of homemade sauerkraut. Check it out:
> http://www.kitchengardeners.org/sauerkraut.html

When you're ready to eat kimchi, do you cook it or eat it cold?
Ken

Brian Mailman

Ken Anderson wrote:

(spam snipped)

> When you're ready to eat kimchi, do you cook it or eat it cold?

Eat it the same way you would pickles.

B/
Ken Anderson

"Brian Mailman" > wrote...
> Ken Anderson wrote:
> > (spam snipped)
> >
> > When you're ready to eat kimchi, do you cook it or eat it cold?

> Eat it the same way you would pickles.
>
> B/

Thanks. So you don't cook it like you would sauerkraut. I couldn't find
Napa cabbage, so I whipped up a batch this morning with a 22.3 oz head of
the regular stuff. I'll give it a try in three or four days. Of course,
there most likely won't be any other takers!
Ken

Brian Mailman

Ken Anderson wrote:

> "Brian Mailman" > wrote...
> > Ken Anderson wrote:
> > > (spam snipped)
> > >
> > > When you're ready to eat kimchi, do you cook it or eat it cold?

> > Eat it the same way you would pickles.

> Thanks. So you don't cook it like you would sauerkraut.

Nope. It's a cross between a salad and pickles.

> I couldn't find
> Napa cabbage, so I whipped up a batch this morning with a 22.3 oz head of
> the regular stuff.

Should work. You can make kim chi from all kinds of things. Had one
from spinach of all things one time.

B/

Ken Anderson

"Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
> Ken Anderson wrote:

> > > Eat it the same way you would pickles.

> > Thanks. So you don't cook it like you would sauerkraut.

> Nope. It's a cross between a salad and pickles.
>
> > I couldn't find
> > Napa cabbage, so I whipped up a batch this morning with a 22.3 oz head

of
> > the regular stuff.

> Should work. You can make kim chi from all kinds of things. Had one
> from spinach of all things one time.
>
> B/

The recipe from the site that started this thread says 3 or 4 days and it's
done. Yet I understand in Korea the stuff actually gets buried for weeks,
if not months, at a time. I've made sauerkraut before, where we're talking
4 to 6 weeks at least. Quite a variation in time here. We shall see.
Ken

George Shirley

Ken Anderson wrote:
> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>
>>Ken Anderson wrote:
>>
>>>"Brian Mailman" > wrote...

>>>Thanks. So you don't cook it like you would sauerkraut.

>>Nope. It's a cross between a salad and pickles.
>>

>>>I couldn't find
>>>Napa cabbage, so I whipped up a batch this morning with a 22.3 oz head

> of
>
>>>the regular stuff.

>>Should work. You can make kim chi from all kinds of things. Had one
>>from spinach of all things one time.
>>
>>B/
>>

> The recipe from the site that started this thread says 3 or 4 days and it's
> done. Yet I understand in Korea the stuff actually gets buried for weeks,
> if not months, at a time. I've made sauerkraut before, where we're talking
> 4 to 6 weeks at least. Quite a variation in time here. We shall see.
> Ken

I've never eaten the stuff. Was stationed in Korea for 90 days once upon
a time, long, long, ago and the nice lady who cleaned our hootch
(quarters) ate the stuff day and night. We had an understanding, if she
used our bathroom, she turned all the fans on and opened the doors and
windows if she had been eating kim chee. Still didn't work that well.
Nope, no "real" aged in the dung heap kim chee for me. Of course
broccoli has the same effect on me so who am I to judge. <BSEG>

George

Brian Mailman

Ken Anderson wrote:

> The recipe from the site that started this thread says 3 or 4 days and it's
> done.

No, not done. Ready to be aged.

Steps your recipe should have.

"Kill" the cabbage (salt overnight).

Prepare kim chi/chee and let ferment at room temperature for 3-4 days.

Refrigerate/bury in yard for a week or two to age.

> Yet I understand in Korea the stuff actually gets buried for weeks,
> if not months, at a time.

Yes.

Now what I do in the summer (which here in San Francisco is late August
through hopefully most of September; this year summer came on a weekend
so everyone was pretty excited about that) is make sure I keep a few
tablespoons of liquid from one batch to form a "starter" for the next
batch; speeds things a bit and assures the proper fermentation.

B/
Frogleg

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:01:15 GMT, "Ken Anderson"
> wrote:

>"rdoiron" > wrote

>> Sauerkraut, choucroute, kimchi...all the world loves pickled cabbage
>> and you can too.
>>
>> Kitchen Gardeners International has just posted a new page on the
>> pleasures of homemade sauerkraut. Check it out:
>> http://www.kitchengardeners.org/sauerkraut.html
>>

>When you're ready to eat kimchi, do you cook it or eat it cold?

Cold. And alone. Preferably 2-3 days before you're going to talk
to/breathe on anyone else. Oh, it's good, but very potent.
Ken Anderson

"Frogleg" wrote...

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:01:15 GMT, "Ken Anderson"
> > wrote:
> >
> >When you're ready to eat kimchi, do you cook it or eat it cold?

> Cold. And alone. Preferably 2-3 days before you're going to talk
> to/breathe on anyone else. Oh, it's good, but very potent.

In lieu of worrying about funk growing on it, every now and then I've been
sealing the jar and flipping it over for a while. When I flip it back
upright, I loosen the lid slightly to release any gas. It be stinky.
Ken