Bob Pastorio

Default Bel Cream Maker

This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
looking for one or more to buy or trade.

They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
have seen a reference that says they're out of business.

Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?

TIA.

Pastorio

Ophelia

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
> This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> looking for one or more to buy or trade.
>
> They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
> have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
>
> Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?

I know exactly what you mean.. but the only one around here is in the
Museum I think I have seen a recipe for doing it in a processor but I
can't remember where. I had one many years ago but It got thrown out.

Ophelia

Brian Mailman

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> looking for one or more to buy or trade.

I heard of something like that some years ago...

Would the cream be homogenized, though or separate easily?

Then again, if clotted/devonshire cream or creme fraiche is your goal it
wouldn't matter much I guess.

B/
zxcvbob

Bob Pastorio wrote:
> This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> looking for one or more to buy or trade.
>
> They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
> have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
>
> Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?
>
> TIA.
>
> Pastorio

Have you tried using a tiny bit of soy lecithin (sp?) as an emulsifier? I
would try using melted and cooled butter, cold milk, a tiny bit of liquid
lecithin (maybe 1/4 or 1/2 tsp to 2 cups of milk), and a stick blender.
Whisk the lecithin into the melted butter to emulsify the butterfat and
whey back together before drizzling it into the milk. Or blend the
lecithin into the butter and then slowly pour in the milk?

I've never tried this; I just made it up. But lecithin is a wonderful
emulsifier for making thick creamy salad dressings w/o using eggs.

Bob

Bob Pastorio

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
>
>>This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
>>looking for one or more to buy or trade.
>>
>>They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
>>have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
>>
>>Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?

> I know exactly what you mean.. but the only one around here is in the
> Museum I think I have seen a recipe for doing it in a processor but I
> can't remember where. I had one many years ago but It got thrown out.

I've posted this question in several places and everybody pretty much
says the same thing. <g> Long time ago, threw it out.

Oh, except for the people who seem to want to go out of their way to
tell me how old I am. "My granny had one when she was young..."

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Bob Pastorio wrote:
>
>>This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
>>looking for one or more to buy or trade.

> I heard of something like that some years ago...
>
> Would the cream be homogenized, though or separate easily?

Dunno. Looking to see what it actually produced. Science project.

> Then again, if clotted/devonshire cream or creme fraiche is your goal it
> wouldn't matter much I guess.

Right. But I'm trying to work backward from butter and milk to make
cream.

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bob Pastorio wrote:
>
>> This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
>> looking for one or more to buy or trade.
>>
>> They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
>> have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
>>
>> Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Pastorio
>>

> Have you tried using a tiny bit of soy lecithin (sp?) as an emulsifier?
> I would try using melted and cooled butter, cold milk, a tiny bit of
> liquid lecithin (maybe 1/4 or 1/2 tsp to 2 cups of milk), and a stick
> blender. Whisk the lecithin into the melted butter to emulsify the
> butterfat and whey back together before drizzling it into the milk. Or
> blend the lecithin into the butter and then slowly pour in the milk?
>
> I've never tried this; I just made it up. But lecithin is a wonderful
> emulsifier for making thick creamy salad dressings w/o using eggs.
>
> Bob

Hadn't thought of this as a direction. I'll give it a try when I can
get to it. Sounds promising. Thanks.

Pastorio

Judith Umbria

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message > >>This was a device to
emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> >>looking for one or more to buy or trade.
> >>
> >>They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
> >>have seen a reference that says they're out of business.

> > I know exactly what you mean.. but the only one around here is in the
> > Museum I think I have seen a recipe for doing it in a processor but I
> > can't remember where. I had one many years ago but It got thrown out.

> I've posted this question in several places and everybody pretty much
> says the same thing. <g> Long time ago, threw it out.
>
> Oh, except for the people who seem to want to go out of their way to
> tell me how old I am. "My granny had one when she was young..."
>
> Pastorio

I saw one in a Washington DC suburban thrift shop once. I surmise that's
the only way to find one.

sw

Bob Pastorio > wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
> > Bob Pastorio wrote:
> >
> >>This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> >>looking for one or more to buy or trade.

> > I heard of something like that some years ago...
> >
> > Would the cream be homogenized, though or separate easily?

> Dunno. Looking to see what it actually produced. Science project.
>
> > Then again, if clotted/devonshire cream or creme fraiche is your goal it
> > wouldn't matter much I guess.

> Right. But I'm trying to work backward from butter and milk to make
> cream.

From _Jane Grigson's Fruit Book_
-----------------------------------
To make 500ml generous 3/4pt scant 2 cups Emergency Cream

250g or 1/2lb or 1 cup unsalted butter, or half unsalted, half lightly
salted

300ml or 1/2pt or 1 1/4 cups milk

1 level tsp gelatine

Cut the butter into small chunks, place in small, heavy pan and pour on
the milk. Heat gently, stirring, until the butter has melted: it must
not boil. Sprinkle on the gelatine and stir until dissolved. If you kept
the heat low enough, you can liquidize or process the mixture
immediately for 30 seconds, otherwise allow to cool to tepid/cold, and
then process/liquidize. Chill several hours/overnight before beating. If
you want pouring cream, increase the quantity of milk (no suggestions
given).
-----------------------------------

She says the result can be used discreetly when making fools, ice cream,
or mousse of strong-tasting fruits (presumably it lacks some of the
flavour of Real Cream), or can be stirred into sauces to finish. I
haven't tried the recipe, but if she recommended it, it will work.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Bob Pastorio

sw wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:

>>>I heard of something like that some years ago...
>>>
>>>Would the cream be homogenized, though or separate easily?

>>Dunno. Looking to see what it actually produced. Science project.
>>

>>>Then again, if clotted/devonshire cream or creme fraiche is your goal it
>>>wouldn't matter much I guess.

>>Right. But I'm trying to work backward from butter and milk to make
>>cream.

> From _Jane Grigson's Fruit Book_
> -----------------------------------
> To make 500ml generous 3/4pt scant 2 cups Emergency Cream
>
> 250g or 1/2lb or 1 cup unsalted butter, or half unsalted, half lightly
> salted
>
> 300ml or 1/2pt or 1 1/4 cups milk
>
> 1 level tsp gelatine
>
> Cut the butter into small chunks, place in small, heavy pan and pour on
> the milk. Heat gently, stirring, until the butter has melted: it must
> not boil. Sprinkle on the gelatine and stir until dissolved. If you kept
> the heat low enough, you can liquidize or process the mixture
> immediately for 30 seconds, otherwise allow to cool to tepid/cold, and
> then process/liquidize. Chill several hours/overnight before beating. If
> you want pouring cream, increase the quantity of milk (no suggestions
> given).
> -----------------------------------
>
> She says the result can be used discreetly when making fools, ice cream,
> or mousse of strong-tasting fruits (presumably it lacks some of the
> flavour of Real Cream), or can be stirred into sauces to finish. I
> haven't tried the recipe, but if she recommended it, it will work.

Splendid. Thanks. I'll try it after the holidays along with the other
suggestions I got.

Pastorio

Brian Mailman

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:

> > Then again, if clotted/devonshire cream or creme fraiche is your goal it

^ultimate
> > wouldn't matter much I guess.

> Right. But I'm trying to work backward from butter and milk to make
> cream.

Blanche Nonken

Bob Pastorio > wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>
> > "Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
> >
> >>This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> >>looking for one or more to buy or trade.
> >>
> >>They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
> >>have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
> >>
> >>Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?

> > I know exactly what you mean.. but the only one around here is in the
> > Museum I think I have seen a recipe for doing it in a processor but I
> > can't remember where. I had one many years ago but It got thrown out.

> I've posted this question in several places and everybody pretty much
> says the same thing. <g> Long time ago, threw it out.
>
> Oh, except for the people who seem to want to go out of their way to
> tell me how old I am. "My granny had one when she was young..."

Recipe for doing this is, I seem to remember, in The Cake Bible.
sw

Bob Pastorio > wrote:

> sw wrote:
>
> > Bob Pastorio > wrote:

[-]

> >>Right. But I'm trying to work backward from butter and milk to make
> >>cream.

> > From _Jane Grigson's Fruit Book_
> > -----------------------------------
> > To make 500ml generous 3/4pt scant 2 cups Emergency Cream

[-]

> > She says the result can be used discreetly when making fools, ice cream,
> > or mousse of strong-tasting fruits (presumably it lacks some of the
> > flavour of Real Cream), or can be stirred into sauces to finish. I
> > haven't tried the recipe, but if she recommended it, it will work.

> Splendid. Thanks. I'll try it after the holidays along with the other
> suggestions I got.

My pleasure :-)

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Cymru Llewes

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:08:41 -0500, spamtrap wrote:

>>> Right. But I'm trying to work backward from butter and milk to make
>>> cream.

> Why? I mean "Why want would you want to do this?" I can't
> think of any reason do it, and I'm just curious.
>
> Pat

Some of us can't get cream. We get milk with stuff like caarengeen in it
and polysorbate 80 and mono- ad di- sodium glycerides.

--
Cymru Llewes
Caer Llewys

UGAK9

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
> This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> looking for one or more to buy or trade.
>
> They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
> have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
>
> Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?
>
> TIA.
>
> Pastorio

Out of curiosity, I just ran a search on eBay on "bel cream maker". Came up
with four for sale, all located in the UK, starting bids ranging from GBP
3.95 to GBP 10.00

Lana Stuart

Boron Elgar

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:53:34 -0500, Feuer > wrote:

wrote:

>> As an alternate suggestion: find someone with a dairy cow.
>>
>> They probably wouldn't be allowed to sell you cream
>> directly, but maybe they would *give* you some in return for
>> a *gift* of something else (cookies, or something nice like
>> that).

>Unpateurized cream is not a very safe thing to eat... You must be
>very careful how you handle it to avoid cross-contamination, etc...
>Where I live (Bethesda, MD) it is hard to find pure cream, but it's
>available from Whole Foods and probably elsewhere. Comes in little
>unlabeled plastic bottles.
>
>David

Do you have to know the secret password to get them to hand it to you
in a plain paper bag from behind the counter?

Boron

Brian Mailman

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:53:34 -0500, Feuer > wrote:

> >Where I live (Bethesda, MD) it is hard to find pure cream, but it's
> >available from Whole Foods and probably elsewhere. Comes in little
> >unlabeled plastic bottles.
> >
> >David

> Do you have to know the secret password to get them to hand it to you
> in a plain paper bag from behind the counter?

"Pastorio sent me."

B/
KenCo

wrote:

> As an alternate suggestion: find someone with a dairy cow.
>
> They probably wouldn't be allowed to sell you cream
> directly, but maybe they would *give* you some in return for
> a *gift* of something else (cookies, or something nice like
> that).
>
> Pat

most farms will sell you "raw" milk that has been
"pastuerised", let it sit in fridge and pour off
the cream.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

DOA ice cream maker notbob General Cooking 13 28-06-2008 01:48 AM
Ice Cream Maker [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 29-01-2005 03:08 AM
ice cream maker Terry General Cooking 8 05-01-2004 02:37 AM
Bel cream maker Bob Pastorio Historic 26 15-12-2003 03:30 PM
Bel Cream Maker Bob Pastorio General Cooking 7 11-12-2003 06:34 PM