Feuer

Default Chilis Preserved and Infused in Oil?

Scott wrote:
> Bare-hand contact with ready to serve food is forbidden by
> most states' health codes.

A very stupid law. Leads to the "wear gloves and forget about food
safety" complex. What's important is to wash hands well, and to wear
gloves if one has any open cuts or sores.

David
KenCo

Default OT netscape 7.+

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
> >
> > in article , Brian Mailman at lid
> > wrote on 6/12/03 10:50 am:

> > > Right... this project was for a friend who loves roasted red peppers,*
> > > but has arthritis in her thumbs and can't peel them easily AND since
> > > they're extremely cheap in the Hispanic/Latino markets here during the
> > > summer months and horribly expensive during the winter ones (it's kind
> > > of a myth about "you can always get anything in California"--you can,
> > > but you pay for it out of season))....

> > Bernardin has a recipe for marinated, roasted peppers in their new book and
> > probably on their website which is the Canadian part of Alltrista's website.
> > If if isn't, I can post it for you.

> Cool. I'd appreciate that. Or a URL (IF it comes up for me, I'm
> finding more and more sites are leaving Netscape 4.79 behind and wind up
> with "you need to update" messages).
>
> The marination might be equivalent to pickling, though and I don't want
> that . But it's worth taking a look at....
>
> B/

just send away for the CD, its $10 or 20
or look in CompUSA/Sams Club etc.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Ellen Wickberg

Default Roasted Peppers (was Chilis Preserved and Infused in Oil?)

wrote on 7/12/03 11:24 am:

> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>>
>> in article
, Brian Mailman at lid
>> wrote on 6/12/03 10:50 am:

>>> Right... this project was for a friend who loves roasted red peppers,*
>>> but has arthritis in her thumbs and can't peel them easily AND since
>>> they're extremely cheap in the Hispanic/Latino markets here during the
>>> summer months and horribly expensive during the winter ones (it's kind
>>> of a myth about "you can always get anything in California"--you can,
>>> but you pay for it out of season))....

>> Bernardin has a recipe for marinated, roasted peppers in their new book and
>> probably on their website which is the Canadian part of Alltrista's website.
>> If if isn't, I can post it for you.

> Cool. I'd appreciate that. Or a URL (IF it comes up for me, I'm
> finding more and more sites are leaving Netscape 4.79 behind and wind up
> with "you need to update" messages).
>
> The marination might be equivalent to pickling, though and I don't want
> that . But it's worth taking a look at....
>
> B/

If there are 2 of these messages, discard one I wrote a reply and it
disappeared...I think it isn't my day. Anyhow, much to my chagrin, I appear
to have committed myself to something that I can't provide. I searched the
website and the new Bernqrdin book and the only recipe was for a pickled,
roasted pepper. If I do find the one I was talking about, I will post it.
It did however have vinegar as well as oil, so might not do. Ellen

Ellen Wickberg

wrote on 7/12/03 11:24 am:

> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>>
>> in article
, Brian Mailman at lid
>> wrote on 6/12/03 10:50 am:

>>> Right... this project was for a friend who loves roasted red peppers,*
>>> but has arthritis in her thumbs and can't peel them easily AND since
>>> they're extremely cheap in the Hispanic/Latino markets here during the
>>> summer months and horribly expensive during the winter ones (it's kind
>>> of a myth about "you can always get anything in California"--you can,
>>> but you pay for it out of season))....

>> Bernardin has a recipe for marinated, roasted peppers in their new book and
>> probably on their website which is the Canadian part of Alltrista's website.
>> If if isn't, I can post it for you.

> Cool. I'd appreciate that. Or a URL (IF it comes up for me, I'm
> finding more and more sites are leaving Netscape 4.79 behind and wind up
> with "you need to update" messages).
>
> The marination might be equivalent to pickling, though and I don't want
> that . But it's worth taking a look at....
>
> B/

Much to my chagrin , I can't find the recipe. I could have sworn I saw in
last week at the community canning kitchen that I do weekly. I have just
searched the web site and the new Bernardin book and all I can find is the
roasted, pickled red peppers. I do apologize for raising hopes and if I
ever turn up the one with oil in it I will post it immediately.

Scott

In article >, Feuer > wrote:

> A very stupid law. Leads to the "wear gloves and forget about food
> safety" complex. What's important is to wash hands well, and to wear
> gloves if one has any open cuts or sores.

According to the NYS Dep't of Health, contact by infected food service
workers with ready-to-eat foods has been the third most frequently
reported cause of foodborne illness in New York State (as measured since
85), which prompted the law.

please mail OT responses only
zxcvbob

Ellen Wickberg wrote:

> in article , Brian Mailman at lid
> wrote on 7/12/03 11:24 am:
>

>>Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>>
>>>in article
, Brian Mailman at lid

>>>Bernardin has a recipe for marinated, roasted peppers in their new book and
>>>probably on their website which is the Canadian part of Alltrista's website.
>>>If if isn't, I can post it for you.

>>Cool. I'd appreciate that. Or a URL (IF it comes up for me, I'm
>>finding more and more sites are leaving Netscape 4.79 behind and wind up
>>with "you need to update" messages).
>>
>>The marination might be equivalent to pickling, though and I don't want
>>that . But it's worth taking a look at....
>>
>>B/

> Much to my chagrin , I can't find the recipe. I could have sworn I saw in
> last week at the community canning kitchen that I do weekly. I have just
> searched the web site and the new Bernardin book and all I can find is the
> roasted, pickled red peppers. I do apologize for raising hopes and if I
> ever turn up the one with oil in it I will post it immediately.

I think I've seen that recipe at one of the University of [fill in the
blank].edu extension office web sites. I'll see if I can find it.

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

This might be it. Just use mild red peppers, cut in half or large pieces:

From USDA guide #6
<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/usda/utah_can_guide_06.pdf>

MARINATED PEPPERS
Bell, Hungarian, banana, or jalapeno
4 lbs firm peppers*
1 cup bottled lemon juice
2 cups white vinegar (5%)
1 tbsp oregano leaves
1 cup olive or salad oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, quartered (optional)
2 tbsp prepared horseradish (optional)

* Note: It is possible to adjust the intensity of pickled jalapeno
peppers by using all hot jalapeno peppers (hot style), or blending with
sweet and mild peppers (medium or mild style). For hot style: Use 4 lbs
jalapeno peppers. For medium style: Use 2 lbs jalapeno peppers and 2 lb
sweet and mild peppers. For mild style: Use 1 lb jalapeno peppers and 3
lbs sweet and mild peppers. Yield: About 9 half-pints Procedu Select
your favorite pepper. Caution: If you select hot peppers, wear rubber or
plastic gloves while handling them or wash hands thoroughly with soap
and water before touching your face. Peppers may be left whole. Large
peppers may be quartered. Wash, slash two to four slits in each pepper,
and blanch in boiling water or blister in order to peel tough-skinned
hot peppers. Peppers may be blistered using one of the following
methods: Oven or broiler method: Place peppers in a hot oven (400 F) or
broiler for 6-8 minutes or until skins blister. Range-top method: Cover
hot burner, either gas or electric, with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers
on burner for several minutes until skins blister. Allow peppers to
cool. Place in pan and cover with a damp cloth. This will make peeling
the peppers easier. After several minutes of cooling, peel each pepper.
Flatten whole peppers. Mix all remaining ingredients in a saucepan and
heat to boiling. Place 1/4 garlic clove (optional) and 1/4 teaspoon salt
in each half pint or 1/2 teaspoon per pint. Fill jars with peppers, add
hot, well-mixed oil/pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/2-inch
headspace. Adjust lids and process. For 0 to 1000' elevation, process 15
minutes. 1001 to 6000' = 20 minutes, over 6000' = 25 minutes.

Scott

Default Food Safety (was Chilis Preserved and Infused in Oil?

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Cite?

For New York: New York Sanitary Code
Chapter I Sec. 14-1.80 FOOD PREPARATION AND SERVICE.
"(a) Food is to be prepared and served with no bare hand contact Unless
the food will be subsequently heated to at least the minimum temperature
required under Section 14-1.82 of this Subpart or to 165 degrees
Fahrenheit (73.9 degrees Celsius) or greater for foods that are being
heated for a second or subsequent time."

> Maybe San Francisco is one of those states--what bothers me more
> is when someone who's handling money, one of the dirtiest and germiest
> of items (think of what people have on their hands and how many are
> handling the same bill/coins) is also passing plates to customers.

San Francisco's a state now?

> IF the egg salad was refrigerated first, one hour shouldn't be a
> problem. First, it has to rise to a certain temperature for a certain
> period of time. Actually, first it needs to be contaminated <G>.

keep in mind, that the egg salad will be warmer faster on the
outside--the entire container need not get to room temperature; once
part reaches the range that's hospitable for bacteria, they start
multiplying.

> Ummmm... you probably mean "basting it from the marinade ... _before_
> serving" here. Or using the marinade as a mop/sauce at the table
> without boiling it first. Basting on the grill is fine, since the
> marinade (and what remains on the item after you take it out) will be
> sterilized from the grill heat.

I meant basting it from the marinade during grilling--unless it's on the
grill for a sufficient amount of time after the last application.

<http://web.kraftfoods.com/food_safety/fs_seas_grilling.html>
"After marinating meat, poultry or seafood, discard the marinade. ...
To use a marinade as a dipping or basting sauce, set aside a portion
before adding raw food.
Let meat, poultry and seafood cook on the grill for at least 5 minutes
after the last brush with a basting sauce. This prevents contamination
since the basting brush was probably used on the food when it was raw."

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >, Feuer > wrote:

> A very stupid law. Leads to the "wear gloves and forget about food
> safety" complex. What's important is to wash hands well, and to wear
> gloves if one has any open cuts or sores.

Oh, and I should mention: the law doesn't require gloves (NY State's at
least). It just prohibits bare-hand contac--however you get around that
(assuming you use a food-safe item for food contact).

Somewhat interesting story in this theme:

My brother was inspecting a diner one day. He went down to the basement,
where they had a food-preparation area

You know how many diners serve those bowls of cole slaw before the meal?
Well, there was this worker, stripped down to a tank-top, standing in
front of a smallish garbage pail that was almost full of cole slaw. He
would push his arms down into the slaw almost down to the shoulders and
stir the stuff around, then pull his arms out, shucking the slaw out of
his armpits, arms, and hands and back into the pail.

That earned a violation.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Bob Pastorio > wrote:

> No, it isn't. And it shouldn't be. Gloves are a bad answer to the
> problem of improperly washed hands.

I never said that gloves are required--I said that bare hand contact is
forbidden* I posted the cite to the NYS Sanitary Code in another post in
the thread.

* That's not a technicality. If you buy a doughnut and they take it out
of the bin with a sheet of waxed paper, that's fine.

please mail OT responses only
Feuer

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Cool. I'd appreciate that. Or a URL (IF it comes up for me, I'm
> finding more and more sites are leaving Netscape 4.79 behind and wind up
> with "you need to update" messages).

So I'm not the only one...

Tried Netscape 7.0 or something way back when and concluded it was
unbelievably buggy and hard-to-believe slow. I'm sure they've worked
out some of the bugs by now, but have they gotten rid of the
slowness?

David
Feuer

Scott wrote:

> In article >, Feuer > wrote:
>
> > A very stupid law. Leads to the "wear gloves and forget about food
> > safety" complex. What's important is to wash hands well, and to wear
> > gloves if one has any open cuts or sores.

> According to the NYS Dep't of Health, contact by infected food service
> workers with ready-to-eat foods has been the third most frequently
> reported cause of foodborne illness in New York State (as measured since
> 85), which prompted the law.

Contamination is a serious issue. But these particular laws don't
do anything good about it, and probably make it worse.

David,
who was by far the most paranoid of the employees when it came to
hand-washing when I was working in the bakery.

Feuer

Scott wrote:

> * That's not a technicality. If you buy a doughnut and they take it out
> of the bin with a sheet of waxed paper, that's fine.

Just in case you didn't know:

1. Lots of times the sheet of waxed paper goes into the bag along with
the doughnut.

2. Quite likely the same employee touches doughnuts without waxed
paper when there aren't customers around.

David
who knows these things.
George Shirley

Feuer wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>

>>Cool. I'd appreciate that. Or a URL (IF it comes up for me, I'm
>>finding more and more sites are leaving Netscape 4.79 behind and wind up
>>with "you need to update" messages).

> So I'm not the only one...
>
> Tried Netscape 7.0 or something way back when and concluded it was
> unbelievably buggy and hard-to-believe slow. I'm sure they've worked
> out some of the bugs by now, but have they gotten rid of the
> slowness?
>
> David

I'm running 7.1 as are a number of my friends. I don't find it very
buggy, not like 6.0, and it runs as fast as any of the rest. Of course
I'm running an ADSL rig anyway and it's pretty fast. The only nitpick I
have with 7.1 is I can't figure out how to unsubscribe to a newsgroup
with it. Follow instructions to the letter and there the damned thing is
again the next time I go to newsgroups.

George

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:

> Feuer wrote:
>

>> Brian Mailman wrote:
>>

>>> Cool. I'd appreciate that. Or a URL (IF it comes up for me, I'm
>>> finding more and more sites are leaving Netscape 4.79 behind and wind up
>>> with "you need to update" messages).

>> So I'm not the only one...
>>
>> Tried Netscape 7.0 or something way back when and concluded it was
>> unbelievably buggy and hard-to-believe slow. I'm sure they've worked
>> out some of the bugs by now, but have they gotten rid of the
>> slowness?
>>
>> David

> I'm running 7.1 as are a number of my friends. I don't find it very
> buggy, not like 6.0, and it runs as fast as any of the rest. Of course
> I'm running an ADSL rig anyway and it's pretty fast. The only nitpick I
> have with 7.1 is I can't figure out how to unsubscribe to a newsgroup
> with it. Follow instructions to the letter and there the damned thing is
> again the next time I go to newsgroups.
>
> George

I used to like Netscape a lot better than MS Internet Explorer, but AOL
bought Netscape and then let it die, and the old 4.7x versions are
increasingly incompatable with new websites. (There is a Netscape version
4.80, but I haven't tried it) Now, I use MSIE for a browser, and I use
Thunderbird (Mozilla's news and mail client without the browser) for mail
and news. It works pretty well.
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/>

Best regards,
Bob

Scott

In article >, Feuer > wrote:

> Just in case you didn't know:
>
> 1. Lots of times the sheet of waxed paper goes into the bag along with
> the doughnut.
>
> 2. Quite likely the same employee touches doughnuts without waxed
> paper when there aren't customers around.

Certainly, but that something is done improperly isn't an argument
against doing it the right way.

please mail OT responses only