Joy Hardie

Default Applesauce - Splenda?

Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
Joy

ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?
The Joneses

Joy Hardie wrote:

> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
> ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
> freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?

Joy - how did you make your apple pie filling? Did you use or not
use pectin? Did you use that corn starch based Clear Jel? Is your
filling acidic? Clear Jel is too expensive for me to buy, not the
stuff,
the shipping!
And if no one here can help maybe those folks at the
National Center for Home Food Preservation (University of Georgia)
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
and scroll thru our FAQ as well, although I can't remember seeing
this question covered (!). Let us know how it goes.
Edrena
Who made jam with Splenda & NSN pectin and using 1 cup per batch
was too much, this was one place where I could detect an aftertaste,
and it didn't do nothing to help the color any either. Poor
strawberries.
Have put plenty Splenda on unsweetened applesauce after surgery,
great stuff.

Joy Hardie

Default Applesauce -Do nothing?

I am not such a great cook so I am going to go by your (this groups)
recommendation (which by the way won me MANY Blue Ribbons) last year
at the State Fair. Anyway, I will take your advice and add NOTHING by
way of sweetener if I am to understand correctly. Will my kids reach
for this stuff happily and gobble it up? Will it dissappear off my
pantry shelves at breakfast, snacktime and desserts?
Just apples?
Joy

Feuer

Joy Hardie wrote:

> I am not such a great cook so I am going to go by your (this groups)
> recommendation (which by the way won me MANY Blue Ribbons) last year
> at the State Fair. Anyway, I will take your advice and add NOTHING by
> way of sweetener if I am to understand correctly. Will my kids reach
> for this stuff happily and gobble it up? Will it dissappear off my
> pantry shelves at breakfast, snacktime and desserts?
> Just apples?

Some manufacturers add ascorbic acid. Check the BBB or Department
of Agriculture to make sure you use a safe recipe. Kids should eat
it. If not, find a recipe for strawberry (or other berry) applesauce.

David
Kids probably shouldn't eat Splenda.
Joy Hardie

Ellen,
Let me understand you. You teach an applesauce workshop and
groups are making applesauce and just using apples and ascorbic acid,
lemon juice or Fruit Fresh and they have an option of sugar or not and
decide not....correct? Wow. I am impressed. Are they adding any
other spices or flavorings such as cinnamon or cranberries?

I just have bushells and bushels of apples and my husband is going to
kill me if I just let them rot. I can't freeze them because we just
don't have the space. I am really cooking challeneged or I wouldn't
bother the group. I have processed 2 bins of the apples into sauce of
various types and tried unsuccessfully to can pie filling. The kids
say they are not fans of apple butter, so I was just thinking I better
make more sauce. Since every recipe in all the books I have calls for
sugar, I never dreamed of not putting it in. I am amazed at your test
panels and interested to hear a little more or any more tips you can
offer. I really do need all the help I can get
Joy

>> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
>> Joy
>>
>> ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
>> freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?

>Yes, but you might want to taste and see if you need any sweetener. Of the
>9 applesauce workshops that I did this year, only one group of people
>decided that they wanted to sweeten the sauce. You can always add it in at
>the end. Ellen

George Shirley

Feuer wrote:
> Joy Hardie wrote:
>
>>I am not such a great cook so I am going to go by your (this groups)
>>recommendation (which by the way won me MANY Blue Ribbons) last year
>>at the State Fair. Anyway, I will take your advice and add NOTHING by
>>way of sweetener if I am to understand correctly. Will my kids reach
>>for this stuff happily and gobble it up? Will it dissappear off my
>>pantry shelves at breakfast, snacktime and desserts?
>>Just apples?

> Some manufacturers add ascorbic acid. Check the BBB or Department
> of Agriculture to make sure you use a safe recipe. Kids should eat
> it. If not, find a recipe for strawberry (or other berry) applesauce.
>
> David
> Kids probably shouldn't eat Splenda.

David, curious minds want to know. Why shouldn't kids eat Splenda? I've
not seen any health warnings on the product.

George

Joy Hardie

Oh, one more question. When I freeze applesauce, I maintain a lovely
pink color from my Jonathan apples. But, obviously a boiling 20
minute bath rather cooks all the pretty color out of them. I have
read differing descriptions of the word "boiling". I assumed it meant
the water had to be bubbling, but in other books it says it has to be
200 degrees. Which is it? because if it only needs to be the
later, then maybe I am way over cooking the poor things.
Other thought is, I read that in a pressure cooker it would only need
to be 8 minutes.....would that maintain the color better because of
the shorter time?
Don't worry, I am DONE with entering the fair, so you are not giving
away any secrets to the competition. It was just beginners lucklast
year and now you guys have me obsessedly hooked on presentation.
Joy

>> Joy Hardie wrote:
>>
>>>I am not such a great cook so I am going to go by your (this groups)
>>>recommendation (which by the way won me MANY Blue Ribbons) last year
>>>at the State Fair. Anyway, I will take your advice and add NOTHING by
>>>way of sweetener if I am to understand correctly. Will my kids reach
>>>for this stuff happily and gobble it up? Will it dissappear off my
>>>pantry shelves at breakfast, snacktime and desserts?
>>>Just apples?

>> Some manufacturers add ascorbic acid. Check the BBB or Department
>> of Agriculture to make sure you use a safe recipe. Kids should eat
>> it. If not, find a recipe for strawberry (or other berry) applesauce.
>>
>> David
>> Kids probably shouldn't eat Splenda.

>David, curious minds want to know. Why shouldn't kids eat Splenda? I've
>not seen any health warnings on the product.
>
>George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Joy Hardie
> wrote:

> I am not such a great cook so I am going to go by your (this groups)
> recommendation (which by the way won me MANY Blue Ribbons) last year
> at the State Fair. Anyway, I will take your advice and add NOTHING by
> way of sweetener if I am to understand correctly. Will my kids reach
> for this stuff happily and gobble it up? Will it dissappear off my
> pantry shelves at breakfast, snacktime and desserts?
> Just apples?
> Joy

I suppose whether they'll snarf it down will depend on their love of
sweet, Joy. :-) Maybe you could have an Official Taster and if OT
doesn't like it, stir in a little sweetener once the jar is opened. Or
have OT present at canning time for opinion. Just some thoughts.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Joy Hardie
> wrote:

> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
> Joy
>
> ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
> freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?

I just responded there, too. :-) Toss-up, IMO.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
MarilynŠ

In ,
The Joneses > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> Joy Hardie wrote:
>
>> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
>> ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
>> freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?

> Joy - how did you make your apple pie filling? Did you use or not
> use pectin? Did you use that corn starch based Clear Jel? Is your
> filling acidic? Clear Jel is too expensive for me to buy, not the
> stuff,
> the shipping!

Speaking of Clear Jel, I made a trip to the local Cash & Carry noticed that they had 25
pound bags of Clear Jel for about $33 USD. I didn't have a need for any, so I didn't
purchase, but how long do you suppose it would keep if you bought that much?

--
Marilyn
-----------

The Joneses

wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:26:52 GMT, The Joneses
> > wrote:
>
> >Joy Hardie wrote:
> >
> >> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
> >> ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
> >> freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?

> >Joy - how did you make your apple pie filling? Did you use or not
> >use pectin? Did you use that corn starch based Clear Jel? Is your
> >filling acidic? Clear Jel is too expensive for me to buy, not the
> >stuff,
> >the shipping!
> >And if no one here can help maybe those folks at the
> >National Center for Home Food Preservation (University of Georgia)

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
> >and scroll thru our FAQ as well, although I can't remember seeing
> >this question covered (!). Let us know how it goes.
> >Edrena

> Edrena, you might want to check he
>
> http://www.barryfarm.com
>
> They have a *fixed* shipping cost of $6.50 (in the USA). It
> would be vastly expensive if all you need is the ClearJel,
> but if you need other items, it might be feasible.
>
> BarryFarm carries both instant and regular ClearJel. It's
> difficult to find the instant and I think it's wonderful
> stuff!
>
> Heck, if you want REGULAR ClearJel I can buy it locally for
> $3.59/lb, and mail it to you (Parcel Post). If you would
> like me to do this, please send me private email, and let me
> know how much you'd like, and give me your mailing address.
> After mailing it, I would let you know the total cost so you
> could send me a check (or pay via PayPal, I can accept
> PayPal).
>
> I cannot buy the Instant ClearJel locally, unfortunately.

Yes, I saw the Berry Farms site, it's a great one, but I haven't
worked up the gumption to make pie filling yet. I'm on a kind
of restricted diet and even the piecrust will wack me out. Thanks
for the offers, tho, I really appreciate the thought.
Edrena

Ellen Wickberg

in article , Joy Hardie at
wrote on 12/11/03 5:16 am:

> Ellen,
> Let me understand you. You teach an applesauce workshop and
> groups are making applesauce and just using apples and ascorbic acid,
> lemon juice or Fruit Fresh and they have an option of sugar or not and
> decide not....correct? Wow. I am impressed. Are they adding any
> other spices or flavorings such as cinnamon or cranberries?
>
> I just have bushells and bushels of apples and my husband is going to
> kill me if I just let them rot. I can't freeze them because we just
> don't have the space. I am really cooking challeneged or I wouldn't
> bother the group. I have processed 2 bins of the apples into sauce of
> various types and tried unsuccessfully to can pie filling. The kids
> say they are not fans of apple butter, so I was just thinking I better
> make more sauce. Since every recipe in all the books I have calls for
> sugar, I never dreamed of not putting it in. I am amazed at your test
> panels and interested to hear a little more or any more tips you can
> offer. I really do need all the help I can get
> Joy
>>
>>> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
>>> Joy
>>>
>>> ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
>>> freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?

>> Yes, but you might want to taste and see if you need any sweetener. Of the
>> 9 applesauce workshops that I did this year, only one group of people
>> decided that they wanted to sweeten the sauce. You can always add it in at
>> the end. Ellen

When canning fruit ( as opposed to jams and jellies) it is the processing (
clean jars, proper processing times in a
BWB with water under, over and around ) as the recipes tell you. The sugar
in BWB fruit canning is there for taste and firmness of the fruit, not to
prevent spoilage. So, y ou don't need sugar for ssafety of the sauce and
the texture chaanges are not very important, I think, in applesauce.
Yes, about additions, we have used cranberries, apricots, berries of all
sorts , in the sauce. Even with cranberries we didn't usually feel that
sugar was needed.
We also do our sauce preparation very rapidly. cut off the blossom end bit,
quarter the apples and take out any bad parts but do not peel or core or
take off the stem Cook with a little water to keep from burning. When soft
we put them t hrough a food mill , pour the sauce into the jars and can in
BWB. That is all. If adding cranberries or other things, they go in with
the raw apples. Ellen

George Shirley

wrote on 12/11/03 5:16 am:

>>Ellen,
>>Let me understand you. You teach an applesauce workshop and
>>groups are making applesauce and just using apples and ascorbic acid,
>>lemon juice or Fruit Fresh and they have an option of sugar or not and
>>decide not....correct? Wow. I am impressed. Are they adding any
>>other spices or flavorings such as cinnamon or cranberries?
>>
>>I just have bushells and bushels of apples and my husband is going to
>>kill me if I just let them rot. I can't freeze them because we just
>>don't have the space. I am really cooking challeneged or I wouldn't
>>bother the group. I have processed 2 bins of the apples into sauce of
>>various types and tried unsuccessfully to can pie filling. The kids
>>say they are not fans of apple butter, so I was just thinking I better
>>make more sauce. Since every recipe in all the books I have calls for
>>sugar, I never dreamed of not putting it in. I am amazed at your test
>>panels and interested to hear a little more or any more tips you can
>>offer. I really do need all the help I can get
>>Joy

>>>Yes, but you might want to taste and see if you need any sweetener. Of the
>>>9 applesauce workshops that I did this year, only one group of people
>>>decided that they wanted to sweeten the sauce. You can always add it in at
>>>the end. Ellen

> When canning fruit ( as opposed to jams and jellies) it is the processing (
> clean jars, proper processing times in a
> BWB with water under, over and around ) as the recipes tell you. The sugar
> in BWB fruit canning is there for taste and firmness of the fruit, not to
> prevent spoilage. So, y ou don't need sugar for ssafety of the sauce and
> the texture chaanges are not very important, I think, in applesauce.
> Yes, about additions, we have used cranberries, apricots, berries of all
> sorts , in the sauce. Even with cranberries we didn't usually feel that
> sugar was needed.
> We also do our sauce preparation very rapidly. cut off the blossom end bit,
> quarter the apples and take out any bad parts but do not peel or core or
> take off the stem Cook with a little water to keep from burning. When soft
> we put them t hrough a food mill , pour the sauce into the jars and can in
> BWB. That is all. If adding cranberries or other things, they go in with
> the raw apples. Ellen

That's exactly what I do with pears to make pear sauce. No letting it
cook down or anything. Comes out just great and, if anyone desires, they
can add sugar at the table. The pears are naturally sweet so no one adds
sugar. Easiest stuff in the world to make.

George

MarilynŠ

In ,
George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:

> That's exactly what I do with pears to make pear sauce. No letting it
> cook down or anything. Comes out just great and, if anyone desires,
> they
> can add sugar at the table. The pears are naturally sweet so no one
> adds sugar. Easiest stuff in the world to make.
>
> George

Last night when I was making applesauce, my 15-year old son asked me how to make it.
After I told him that all I do is core the apples (something I don't always do, but did
this particular time), cut them into quarters and put in a pot with a little water, then
just let cook for maybe 45 minutes or so and run through the food mill, he was impressed.
He said he thought it was some big complicated process. He was even more impressed when I
said that when he moves out and is living on his own, he can make his own applesauce, just
enough for one person, any time. When the kids were babies, I'd just do one apple at a
time and run it through the baby food grinder after cooking. If he peels and cores the
apples prior to cooking, he won't need a grinder or food mill.

--
Marilyn
-----------
Having abandoned my search for the truth, I am now looking for a good
fantasy.

Peggy

Joy Hardie wrote:

> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?
> Joy
>
> ps. Nobody answered my question about if it is better to can or
> freeze apple pie filling. Any ideas?

Joy -
I used a bit of Splenda in my applesauce this year, and it left a yucky
aftertaste. I'd not recommend it.
Peg

Joy Hardie

Thank You thank you.
Joy
Joy Hardie

That is kinda what I was wondering about. Glad you mentioned it
because it isn't worth it if it is going to spoil it. I think I will
make it with no sweetener and maybe just add some at the table if
necessary.
Joy
>> Can you use Splenda when you can applesauce?

>I used a bit of Splenda in my applesauce this year, and it left a yucky
>aftertaste. I'd not recommend it.
>Peg

George Shirley

MarilynŠ wrote:

> In ,
> George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
>

>>That's exactly what I do with pears to make pear sauce. No letting it
>>cook down or anything. Comes out just great and, if anyone desires,
>>they
>>can add sugar at the table. The pears are naturally sweet so no one
>>adds sugar. Easiest stuff in the world to make.
>>
>>George

> Last night when I was making applesauce, my 15-year old son asked me how to make it.
> After I told him that all I do is core the apples (something I don't always do, but did
> this particular time), cut them into quarters and put in a pot with a little water, then
> just let cook for maybe 45 minutes or so and run through the food mill, he was impressed.
> He said he thought it was some big complicated process. He was even more impressed when I
> said that when he moves out and is living on his own, he can make his own applesauce, just
> enough for one person, any time. When the kids were babies, I'd just do one apple at a
> time and run it through the baby food grinder after cooking. If he peels and cores the
> apples prior to cooking, he won't need a grinder or food mill.

You got a smart kid if he listens to his Momma. I taught both of my
children, girl and boy, to cook, clean house, etc when they were small
and made them help when they were older. Both were taught animal
husbandry, canning and preserving, gardening, and a lot of other virtues
my folks taught me. The son won't eat anything that isn't from the store
and only cooks out of cans. Daughter follows Mom and Dad's doings. One
out of two ain't bad. Oh yeah, they're both in their early forties now.

George

Anny Middon

"Joy Hardie" > wrote in message

> I just have bushells and bushels of apples and my husband is going to
> kill me if I just let them rot. I can't freeze them because we just
> don't have the space.

A recipe I haven't made yet, but will soon is from Kraft Foods' website:

Dutch Apple Pie Jam

Prep Time: 45 min
Total Time: 2 hr min
Makes: Makes about 7 (1-cup) jars.

4 cups prepared fruit (about 1 lb. Granny Smith or other tart green apples)

1-1/4 cups water

1/2 cup raisins

2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground allspice

1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin

1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)

4 cups granulated sugar, measured into separate bowl (See tip below.)

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

BRING boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and
screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water
over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready
to use. Drain well before filling.

PEEL and core apples; finely chop or grind. Add water and raisins. Measure
exactly 4 cups into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon
and allspice.

STIR pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if
desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop
bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.

STIR in all sugars quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal
spoon

LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe
jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place
jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover
jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to
gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to
cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with
finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is
necessary.)
-------

I'm planning on making some for little Christmas presents. If you have a
holiday at this time of year that calls for presents, you might want to make
up a batch or two. In my experience, people love getting homemade jam. You
can gussy up the jars if you like with fancy labels or gingham jar toppers.

Anny

MarilynŠ

In ,
George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> MarilynŠ wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and
>> spoke thusly:
>>

>>> That's exactly what I do with pears to make pear sauce. No letting
>>> it
>>> cook down or anything. Comes out just great and, if anyone desires,
>>> they
>>> can add sugar at the table. The pears are naturally sweet so no one
>>> adds sugar. Easiest stuff in the world to make.
>>>
>>> George

>> Last night when I was making applesauce, my 15-year old son asked me
>> how to make it. After I told him that all I do is core the apples
>> (something I don't always do, but did this particular time), cut
>> them into quarters and put in a pot with a little water, then just
>> let cook for maybe 45 minutes or so and run through the food mill,
>> he was impressed. He said he thought it was some big complicated
>> process. He was even more impressed when I said that when he moves
>> out and is living on his own, he can make his own applesauce, just
>> enough for one person, any time. When the kids were babies, I'd
>> just do one apple at a time and run it through the baby food grinder
>> after cooking. If he peels and cores the apples prior to cooking,
>> he won't need a grinder or food mill.
>>

> You got a smart kid if he listens to his Momma. I taught both of my
> children, girl and boy, to cook, clean house, etc when they were small
> and made them help when they were older. Both were taught animal
> husbandry, canning and preserving, gardening, and a lot of other
> virtues
> my folks taught me. The son won't eat anything that isn't from the
> store
> and only cooks out of cans. Daughter follows Mom and Dad's doings. One
> out of two ain't bad. Oh yeah, they're both in their early forties
> now.
>
> George

This is the same son who praises me for my jam because he's rarely had store bought jam at
all.

Now, if I could only get him to appreciate my home-grown, home-canned green beans...

--
Marilyn
-----------
Having abandoned my search for the truth, I am now looking for a good
fantasy.

George Shirley

MarilynŠ wrote:

> In ,
> George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
>
>>MarilynŠ wrote:
>>

>>>In ,
>>>George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and
>>>spoke thusly:

>>>Last night when I was making applesauce, my 15-year old son asked me
>>>how to make it. After I told him that all I do is core the apples
>>>(something I don't always do, but did this particular time), cut
>>>them into quarters and put in a pot with a little water, then just
>>>let cook for maybe 45 minutes or so and run through the food mill,
>>>he was impressed. He said he thought it was some big complicated
>>>process. He was even more impressed when I said that when he moves
>>>out and is living on his own, he can make his own applesauce, just
>>>enough for one person, any time. When the kids were babies, I'd
>>>just do one apple at a time and run it through the baby food grinder
>>>after cooking. If he peels and cores the apples prior to cooking,
>>>he won't need a grinder or food mill.
>>>

>>You got a smart kid if he listens to his Momma. I taught both of my
>>children, girl and boy, to cook, clean house, etc when they were small
>>and made them help when they were older. Both were taught animal
>>husbandry, canning and preserving, gardening, and a lot of other
>>virtues
>>my folks taught me. The son won't eat anything that isn't from the
>>store
>>and only cooks out of cans. Daughter follows Mom and Dad's doings. One
>>out of two ain't bad. Oh yeah, they're both in their early forties
>>now.
>>
>>George

> This is the same son who praises me for my jam because he's rarely had store bought jam at
> all.
>
> Now, if I could only get him to appreciate my home-grown, home-canned green beans...

Why do kids all dislike or distrust green beans and green peas. My son
called green peas "spider eggs" when he was small, suspect he learned it
from older kids. His three yo boy loves "geen" peas. My eldest grandson,
he who presented me with a greatgranddaughter when I was barely 61,
loved green beans when he was a kid. I swear he could tell you where
they were grown and what variety they were. Now he won't touch them but
his daughter loves them.

Shoot, we were taught to eat what was put in front of us or do without.
I'll eat about anything but cooked cauliflower, just flat don't like it
cooked but love it pickled or raw. Don't like cooked turnips either but
eat them raw or pickled.

George

MarilynŠ

In ,
George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> MarilynŠ wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and
>> spoke thusly:

>>> You got a smart kid if he listens to his Momma. I taught both of my
>>> children, girl and boy, to cook, clean house, etc when they were
>>> small
>>> and made them help when they were older. Both were taught animal
>>> husbandry, canning and preserving, gardening, and a lot of other
>>> virtues
>>> my folks taught me. The son won't eat anything that isn't from the
>>> store
>>> and only cooks out of cans. Daughter follows Mom and Dad's doings.
>>> One
>>> out of two ain't bad. Oh yeah, they're both in their early forties
>>> now.
>>>
>>> George

>> This is the same son who praises me for my jam because he's rarely
>> had store bought jam at all.
>>
>> Now, if I could only get him to appreciate my home-grown,
>> home-canned green beans...
>>

> Why do kids all dislike or distrust green beans and green peas. My son
> called green peas "spider eggs" when he was small, suspect he learned
> it
> from older kids. His three yo boy loves "geen" peas. My eldest
> grandson,
> he who presented me with a greatgranddaughter when I was barely 61,
> loved green beans when he was a kid. I swear he could tell you where
> they were grown and what variety they were. Now he won't touch them
> but
> his daughter loves them.

I dunno. He's the only one of the five kids who really hate green beans. He eats them,
but doesn't like it.

> Shoot, we were taught to eat what was put in front of us or do
> without.
> I'll eat about anything but cooked cauliflower, just flat don't like
> it
> cooked but love it pickled or raw. Don't like cooked turnips either
> but
> eat them raw or pickled.

I've raised my kids that way, too. I have one that will not eat gravy, but since gravy
isn't exactly high on the list of vitamin and mineral-packed foods, I say, fine, you don't
have to eat it. But they have to eat their vegetables. I tell him it could be worse, I
could make him eat brussel sprouts or lima beans, both of which I like, but no one else in
the family, including my husband, will touch.

--
Marilyn
-----------
Having abandoned my search for the truth, I am now looking for a good
fantasy.

Ellen Wickberg

in article , George Shirley at
wrote on 12/11/03 8:31 am:

> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>
>> in article
, Joy Hardie at

wrote on 12/11/03 5:16 am:

>>> Ellen,
>>> Let me understand you. You teach an applesauce workshop and
>>> groups are making applesauce and just using apples and ascorbic acid,
>>> lemon juice or Fruit Fresh and they have an option of sugar or not and
>>> decide not....correct? Wow. I am impressed. Are they adding any
>>> other spices or flavorings such as cinnamon or cranberries?
>>>
>>> I just have bushells and bushels of apples and my husband is going to
>>> kill me if I just let them rot. I can't freeze them because we just
>>> don't have the space. I am really cooking challeneged or I wouldn't
>>> bother the group. I have processed 2 bins of the apples into sauce of
>>> various types and tried unsuccessfully to can pie filling. The kids
>>> say they are not fans of apple butter, so I was just thinking I better
>>> make more sauce. Since every recipe in all the books I have calls for
>>> sugar, I never dreamed of not putting it in. I am amazed at your test
>>> panels and interested to hear a little more or any more tips you can
>>> offer. I really do need all the help I can get
>>> Joy

>> When canning fruit ( as opposed to jams and jellies) it is the processing (
>> clean jars, proper processing times in a
>> BWB with water under, over and around ) as the recipes tell you. The sugar
>> in BWB fruit canning is there for taste and firmness of the fruit, not to
>> prevent spoilage. So, y ou don't need sugar for ssafety of the sauce and
>> the texture chaanges are not very important, I think, in applesauce.
>> Yes, about additions, we have used cranberries, apricots, berries of all
>> sorts , in the sauce. Even with cranberries we didn't usually feel that
>> sugar was needed.
>> We also do our sauce preparation very rapidly. cut off the blossom end bit,
>> quarter the apples and take out any bad parts but do not peel or core or
>> take off the stem Cook with a little water to keep from burning. When soft
>> we put them t hrough a food mill , pour the sauce into the jars and can in
>> BWB. That is all. If adding cranberries or other things, they go in with
>> the raw apples. Ellen
>>

> That's exactly what I do with pears to make pear sauce. No letting it
> cook down or anything. Comes out just great and, if anyone desires, they
> can add sugar at the table. The pears are naturally sweet so no one adds
> sugar. Easiest stuff in the world to make.
>
> George

we do too when we make pear sauce. And when we can pears , most of the
people choose either ultra light or light syrup. Ellen

George Shirley

MarilynŠ wrote:
> In ,
> George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
>
>>MarilynŠ wrote:
>>

>>>In ,
>>>George Shirley > took a deep breath, sighed and
>>>spoke thusly:

>>>This is the same son who praises me for my jam because he's rarely
>>>had store bought jam at all.
>>>
>>>Now, if I could only get him to appreciate my home-grown,
>>>home-canned green beans...
>>>

>>Why do kids all dislike or distrust green beans and green peas. My son
>>called green peas "spider eggs" when he was small, suspect he learned
>>it
>>from older kids. His three yo boy loves "geen" peas. My eldest
>>grandson,
>>he who presented me with a greatgranddaughter when I was barely 61,
>>loved green beans when he was a kid. I swear he could tell you where
>>they were grown and what variety they were. Now he won't touch them
>>but
>>his daughter loves them.

> I dunno. He's the only one of the five kids who really hate green beans. He eats them,
> but doesn't like it.
>

>>Shoot, we were taught to eat what was put in front of us or do
>>without.
>>I'll eat about anything but cooked cauliflower, just flat don't like
>>it
>>cooked but love it pickled or raw. Don't like cooked turnips either
>>but
>>eat them raw or pickled.

> I've raised my kids that way, too. I have one that will not eat gravy, but since gravy
> isn't exactly high on the list of vitamin and mineral-packed foods, I say, fine, you don't
> have to eat it. But they have to eat their vegetables. I tell him it could be worse, I
> could make him eat brussel sprouts or lima beans, both of which I like, but no one else in
> the family, including my husband, will touch.

Dang! Come on down, I make a mean pot of giant limas cooked with onion,
garlic, and sausage. Put on a pot of rice, get out the hot sauce and pig
out. My wife doesn't much like the limas either but if they're green and
called butter beans she'll eat them. Most folks around here just eat red
beans aka kidney beans. Me, I'm partial to pintos or limas. I have to
put lots of epazote in the pot cause they do gas me up.

George

Feuer

Ellen Wickberg wrote:

> BWB with water under, over and around ) as the recipes tell you. The sugar
> in BWB fruit canning is there for taste and firmness of the fruit, not to
> prevent spoilage.

Ehhhh... That's not true of pectinous things, as I understand it.

David
Feuer

"MarilynŠ" wrote:

> Now, if I could only get him to appreciate my home-grown, home-canned green beans...

I don't understand why anyone would can green beans. They are so
delicious when raw or very lightly cooked, and so boring when
thoroughly cooked.

David
I usually cook string beans only a drop longer than necessary to heat
them through. They're good with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil.
Cooked and cold, some vinegar is very nice, and sesame oil.
Feuer

George Shirley wrote:

> Why do kids all dislike or distrust green beans and green peas.

Not all... Fresh, raw peas I learned to appreciate around
kindergarten, I think. Haven't had them too often, unfortunately.

> Shoot, we were taught to eat what was put in front of us or do without.
> I'll eat about anything but cooked cauliflower, just flat don't like it
> cooked but love it pickled or raw. Don't like cooked turnips either but
> eat them raw or pickled.

Bought some pickled cauliflower a few days ago. Don't like it
much. As far as I can tell, most pickles are only good on falafel.
Notable exceptions are pickled cucumbers and peppers.

David

Feuer

"MarilynŠ" wrote:

> I've raised my kids that way, too. I have one that will not eat gravy, but since gravy
> isn't exactly high on the list of vitamin and mineral-packed foods, I say, fine, you don't
> have to eat it. But they have to eat their vegetables. I tell him it could be worse, I
> could make him eat brussel sprouts or lima beans, both of which I like, but no one else in
> the family, including my husband, will touch.

There are I think better ways than forcing kids to eat vegetables.
I believe my mother is the only one in my family who likes lima
beans.

David
lover of most beans.
The Joneses

Feuer wrote:

> Ellen Wickberg wrote:
>
> > BWB with water under, over and around ) as the recipes tell you. The sugar
> > in BWB fruit canning is there for taste and firmness of the fruit, not to
> > prevent spoilage.

> Ehhhh... That's not true of pectinous things, as I understand it.
>
> David

And I think acidity has something to do with keeping it good too,
both fruits & *spreads* which is why we supposta pressure can most
veggies.
Edrena

Feuer

The Joneses wrote:

> > Ehhhh... That's not true of pectinous things, as I understand it.
> >
> > David

> And I think acidity has something to do with keeping it good too,
> both fruits & *spreads* which is why we supposta pressure can most
> veggies.

Things can be preserved through drying and/or acid. Jams and
jellies are preserved through a sort of combination: the pectin
combining with the sugar acts to dry out the stuff. Acid also
assists in preserving it. For apple sauce, I believe all the
preservation is through acid, so make sure to have enough in there
by carefully following a recipe from a reputable source (e.g.,
BBB or USDA).

David
who likes to eat apple sauce and always buys the unsweetened
variety. Only recently have I really been eating apple sauce
straight. Up til then I ate it mainly with potato blintzes and
potato-onion pierogies (YUM!).
MarilynŠ

In ,
Feuer > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> "MarilynŠ" wrote:
>
>> Now, if I could only get him to appreciate my home-grown,
>> home-canned green beans...

> I don't understand why anyone would can green beans. They are so
> delicious when raw or very lightly cooked, and so boring when
> thoroughly cooked.

Uh, because I grow enough green beans that I need to can them to have as part of my food
storage? And I personally disline the taste and texture of frozen green beans. But of
course they taste better fresh. However, I've never found a way to preserve them so they
taste just like fresh.

> David
> I usually cook string beans only a drop longer than necessary to heat
> them through. They're good with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil.
> Cooked and cold, some vinegar is very nice, and sesame oil.

Well, that's nice, and I like them cooked lightly too, but I'll be darned if I'll pay the
price for fresh green beans from the store at this time of year (and they're poor quality,
just like the tomatoes I refuse to buy). Canning is the most reasonable alternative for
me, unless I revert back to eating things only in season and living on dried beef in the
winter and nothing else.

--
Marilyn
-----------
Having abandoned my search for the truth, I am now looking for a good
fantasy.

MarilynŠ

In ,
Feuer > took a deep breath, sighed and spoke thusly:
> "MarilynŠ" wrote:
>
>> I've raised my kids that way, too. I have one that will not eat
>> gravy, but since gravy isn't exactly high on the list of vitamin and
>> mineral-packed foods, I say, fine, you don't have to eat it. But
>> they have to eat their vegetables. I tell him it could be worse, I
>> could make him eat brussel sprouts or lima beans, both of which I
>> like, but no one else in the family, including my husband, will
>> touch.

> There are I think better ways than forcing kids to eat vegetables.
> I believe my mother is the only one in my family who likes lima
> beans.
>
> David
> lover of most beans.

It's not a matter of forcing. They can go without eating them, but they don't get to take
up the slack of eating more of what they like at the table. I have a couple of kids who
would fill up on meat and nothing else if I gave them that option.

Yeah, they have a choice. Eat it or go hungry.

--
Marilyn
-----------
Having abandoned my search for the truth, I am now looking for a good
fantasy.

Feuer

Ellen Wickberg wrote:

> Of course there are a few borderline acid fruits, Asian pears, figs,
> tomatoes and maybe others of which I don't know. But fruit canning, on the
> whole ,to me is putting fruit or fruit sauces in jars with "syrup" for non
> sauces and following current recommendations for timing of BWB. The "syrup"
> can be of any degree of sweetness, from o to very high. Ellen

I didn't realize "fruit canning" didn't include jams and jellies.

DAvid
Feuer

"MarilynŠ" wrote:

> Uh, because I grow enough green beans that I need to can them to have as part of my food
> storage? And I personally disline the taste and texture of frozen green beans. But of
> course they taste better fresh. However, I've never found a way to preserve them so they
> taste just like fresh.

hmmm. makes sense. Can you pickle green beans in balsamic or wine
vinegar with a drop of salt and pasteurize them? How would that
taste?

Peggy

Feuer wrote:

> "MarilynŠ" wrote:
>

>>Uh, because I grow enough green beans that I need to can them to have as part of my food
>>storage? And I personally disline the taste and texture of frozen green beans. But of
>>course they taste better fresh. However, I've never found a way to preserve them so they
>>taste just like fresh.

> hmmm. makes sense. Can you pickle green beans in balsamic or wine
> vinegar with a drop of salt and pasteurize them? How would that
> taste?

Dilly beans! Check out the Ball Blue Book.
Peg

Splenda bfairey General Cooking 7 11-05-2007 05:25 AM
using Splenda cathy General Cooking 19 10-12-2006 05:59 PM
Splenda B&B? Brian Mailman Preserving 2 01-09-2006 09:16 PM
Splenda Ed Ahern Diabetic 3 25-02-2006 07:01 AM
Splenda CapStick Diabetic 4 28-10-2003 03:35 PM